Ever-Ready 1912
Gem SE (3)
Omega Pro #49
DA FAT
Alum
Witch Hazel
Gillette Series AB
G. Bellini Push AS

Day 3 with the ER, took my time today with trying to get the angle right and was rewarded with a BBS, I'm just wondering how long the blades last, this one felt fine all the way thru the shave (I do hand strop :oops: ).

Have a jolly spiffing day Chaps.

TTFN

Tony

Monday

I love the scent of MWF and how my skin feels after shaving with it. But it seems a flog to generate a nice thick lather. Today I gave the only boar I now have - Semogue LE2009 - the MWF challenge. It didn't do too well. I got there in the end with a passable lather but it took a lot of time and effort. I'll stick with it for a few days to see if different water/product ratios make much difference. And then I'll try a couple of badgers. MWF is going to get an extended run to see if I can finally crack it.

4-9.jpg

Monday

Futur (2 and 1.5 for ATG)
Croma Diamant (1)
Neo Finest 2-band in burl
SWK Scuttle
Irisch Moos Soap
CHH Tobbacco AS
Nivea ASB.

I love this brush! It is really a great all-rounder, both soaps and creams! Soft as my silvertip (ish) but with so much more backbone - a pure pleasure!

Monday 04-26-10.

Soap from Aleppo - Pre Proraso - Vulfix 404 boar + badger - Lady Pink Gillette (first time) - Rapira #1 - Cella SS - Alum block - Astringent Thayers Lemon - ASL Brummel.

Afeitado26-04-10001.jpg

Men-U face wash
Merkur 1904 razor with Personna red (#1)
Simpsons special best badger shaving brush
Valobra shaving soap stick
TOBS Sandalwood aftershave gel

Great shave, love the Valobra !

Fido said:
Monday

I love the scent of MWF and how my skin feels after shaving with it. But it seems a flog to generate a nice thick lather. Today I gave the only boar I now have - Semogue LE2009 - the MWF challenge. It didn't do too well. I got there in the end with a passable lather but it took a lot of time and effort. I'll stick with it for a few days to see if different water/product ratios make much difference. And then I'll try a couple of badgers. MWF is going to get an extended run to see if I can finally crack it.

4-9.jpg

Fido, using the same combo, I can get a decent lather when the brush is very wet, i just allow it to run out & do not shake or squeeze any water out. I even end up adding more water to the mix during the actual lather. This is very different to my routine with other soaps.

Sunday

Gillette 58
Gillette goal D2
Semogue 620
Arko stick
Alum
Proraso ASL

Monday

Gillettte 58
Gillette Goal D3
Vilfix 404 Mix
La Toja stick
Alum
Speick ASL

Two very good shaves! Next shave will be in Jakarta.

Monday

English Ever Ready
GEM SE blade
Body Shop Maca Root cream
Kent BK4
Alum block
Simple for Men AS balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Beautiful shave - 4th use of this blade and still as sharp as the first time. BBS, zero irritation, zero nicks, zero burn.

Monday

Kent BK4
Flare tip Rocket
Swede (the same one)

Cyril Salter Rose cream
DR Harris Marlborough edc

I finally tried Sonny's no longer mysterious world beating cream, and I can understand his enthusiasm for it. Superior in my opinion to the Taylor's equivalent in terms of both scent and quality of lather. The Marlborough smells nice enough, but it's awfully restrained - I used rather a lot but three hours later it's very faint indeed.

Monday

Merkur Futur set on 3 with a Yellow Gillette 7 o'clock blade day 2
Vulfix 2235 super badger brush and Palmolive cream
Alum
Aquatonic AS

A bit of an experiment tonight, following training I needed a soak in the bath so decided to see if I could shave at the same time. Ran a hot bath washed hair and face then relaxed with a wet flannel over my beard for a several minutes.

Shaving without a mirror was OK but a little disorganised, I wouldn't like to say how many passes as it didn't quite run like that. Much more a case of blade buffing, working by touch and localised re-lathering as I went along.

Still it seems to have yielded a DFS

Monday

Veleiro Pre-Shave Soap
Musgo Real Shaving Cream
Semogue 2040HD brush
Filarmonica 14 Sub-Cero Straight Razor
Denim Black After Shave Splash
sdc11604.jpg

This evening was the first time using the new 39C - slid in a Derby Extra as they don't seem very aggressive to me, and folks seem to suggest a milder blade in slants.

I topped up my home-brew shave oil/Pre-shave, with some glycerin which went on as a base coat. Then painted on some Body Shop Macca Root shave cream with the vegan/synthetic "Gold and Chocolate/Shave and Protect" brush.

Copious amounts of cold water. Generous application of the ol' alum block which I let dry as I cleaned the lather bowl and brush. More cold water rinsing followed by a spritz/knead-in of my whitch hazel/aloe vera squirt. Left it while I rinsed out and dried the razor. More cold water and a pat dry finshed off with my home-brew aloe/jojoba balm.

Pretty nice overall shave in 3 passes and a tiny tidy-up/polish pass. Not sure if my Derby's are sub-standard, or if that brand is just not my cup of meat.

The slant was very nice - hefty and yet well balanced. With a couple of more shaves with it, I think it might easily be in the running to become "the regular" razor. Though I do still have the 1971 Knack to try out, as well as a couple others I can't remember at this point in time, probably due to extreme tiredness.

Tuesday

Ok, with the new arrival (Merkur Vision) here y'day, I thought I should give it a try.

Vision / Gillette Plat. [Rus.] / Dovo badger / Omega / Alum / Old Spice AS / L'Erbolario Fern ASB

The Vision feels really good during the shave and I am very happy with the purchase. Exactly same weight as the Futur (125 g.) but with a slightly different weight distribution, it feels better in my hand and for some reason less aggressive. Loading it is more tedious to me, adjustment scale is hard to figure out (letters instead of numbers), bottom of the head feels a bit clumsy and the tolerance is not that tight but during the shave you don't feel that. The Futur was more solid in that respect, the head 'clicks' on its base and nothing moves at all after that - in the Vision (at least with mine, may be something wrong with it) you do get some very minor slack movement of the head's base and in the scale adjustment knob.

Overall a very nice shave. Have a nice spring day, gents.

Shave_27Apr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom