Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 23rd October 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's pic, which isn't a very good one, I know, is partly an addendum to yesterday's shave, showing the little Fermarud razor and travel brush, with the more normal ones dwarfing them.

Tuesday

Kent BK4
"The Nap" 5/8 round point

Godrej cream*
Tabac aftershave

SOTD261010.jpg

*At least, I think it was Godrej - I've lost track of which unmarked jar is which.

If every shave went as well as this, I'd be very pleased with myself indeed: splendid :D

Tuesday

Prep
Hot Shower

Weapons of Choice
404 bodger
Mama Bear's Rosemary Mint soap
EJ89L
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
Alum
Speick A/S
RSC balm
TOBS "Shaving Shop" Cologne

After the last unremarkable shave, I thought that it would be a good idea to try another blade. The shave itself was okay, but I found the blade a bit "meh". I got a good shave, but it felt a bit laboured and nothing like as smooth as the one I'd get/expect from the Astras… Technique is certainly delivering a much better result, but I think that it's time to monkey around a bit more. New tool arriving in the morning (thanks to “The Usual Suspect™”), so it'll be fun to relearn what I have learned. The new cologne is working a charm – initially I was a little unimpressed (SWMBA said I smelled like her grandfather, but it has settled down into a really good, long-lasting whiff). Really pleased with my purchase.

Have a great Wednesday, chaps!

Lipsy

Test Shave with a Jernbolaget frameback. It's quite thin - much like a feather blade, only with a couple of "bumpers" to provide the angle while honing. Excellent, hard steel, though. Very interesting to hone. I've been experimenting again, this time I used the Shapton and Chosera 1x6 Edge Pro stones due to the smile. The edge isn't as smooth as I would like just yet, so I will go back and do it again. The 1" wide are so easy to use, but the 15K and 30K Shapton are 0.6" wide, and were a tad bit uncomfortable to use due to the smile in the blade (on "straight" edges, the .6" stones have been no problem, though)

Last night's weather took a cool turn, and it was a close call between Farn and Rolling Stone... The Farn won out due to the crispness in the air, and it was like walking through the forest on a perfect Autumn day!

Razor: Jernbolaget frameback
Brush: Bock Silvertip
Cream: Olivia's Farn
After Shave Lotion: Olivia's Farn

Image0091.jpg

Wednesday 2010-10-27

Aristocrat Jr. & Wilkinson Sword (#3) > New Forest 2201 prototype +20% & Henk's Dutch Moss shave cream
> alum > Henk's Dutch Moss after shave balm > Amouage Dia Eau de Parfum

SOTD_27Oct.jpg

- Back to a Gillette TTO meant back to smooth shaves again. What a difference from the Merkur 33C this razor makes...
- First attempt ever at Henk's products. Very nice scent (Dutch Moss), the shaving cream did a good job but I think I should have bowl (instead of face) lathered. The balm is the most fluid balm I've ever seen, this is good as it eliminates the need for using after shave and also can possibly be used in warmer climates. On first impression both products are recommended, more to come soon.

Wednesday

Futur
Iridium
Edwin Jagger Best Badger
MWF
Alum
Nivea Sensitive asb

Apart from when I was away, I think this is the first time that I have not used my New Forest (Fido) 2201 brush since I have had it. The EJ is bigger, and more prickly than the 2201, but it's a great brush for painting on the lather, and holds a great deal of lather owing to it's size.

Ian

Wednesday:

Pre: Hot facecloth
Soap: Palmolive stick
Brush: New Forest 2201
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: 7 o'clock yellow
ASB: L'Oreal men expert hydra-energetic hydrating boost post-shave balm ice-cool wake-up effect active defence system. Because I'm worth it.

The Palmolive stick is a delight to use, producing a fantastically slick, luxurious lather. A nice easy shave, comfortable and close.

Have a good day, guys.

Regards

Ian

Tuesday PM.

Gave the HD500 a run yesterday. Wow what a shave. Loaded with a Gillette super thin, and with the normal hot shower proraso pre and Maca root cream, where a winning combination. I also re-watched Roberts (the gentleman's shop) video. I played with blade angle as well as i have been wondering if i have been using a too steeper angle and possibly causing a little irritation. Well i don't know which of the things helped to improve the result but i like it. Its only subtle as i was getting good results already. But this is another step change and i will be concentrating on replicating the process. :D

Wednesday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Frederick´s "The Old English Razor"
Brush: Scheerzeep silvertip in olive wood
Cream: Fitjar "Fjellheim"
AS: Dr Harris Sandalwood
Strop: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
51076d1288168686-sun-october-24th-sat-october-30th-snb14082.jpg

Fido said:
Great pic!

Thank you Peter! I´m doing some experiments right now, I´ve built a lightbox, but it gives me a headace to get it "right". I find it very relaxing and fun to use the camera though, aswell as the shaving part and it feels like I´ve got a lot to learn still (my father was a very talanted photographer). So, it was nice to get that kind of feedback, even though I´m wobbling about. Thank you, again!

Muhle89
Russian Sharp Edge
Speick soap
AofS Badger
Boots Freshwood AS
Trumpers Spanish Leather Cologne (sample)

Trumpers SLC was too masculine and old fashioned for my tastes. Has anyone tried Trumpers Skye Cologne? I'll interested in your opinion.

Kevin

Wednesday, 10.27.10

Aura Glow Oil
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Semogue SOC BigBoar
Pumacker Black Diamond square point
Tony Miller Artisan Strop ... 40 Linen/70 Latigo
Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Nivea AS Balm
Mennen Skin Bracer

Pictured is my long departed Gordon, Robbie... I pounded alot of shoe leather with this dog. Not the best field dog ever, but certainly competent...He lives on in my heart!

RIP, Rob...

IMG_2307.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom