Shave of the day W/C Saturday 20th August 2011

Saturday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Astra Platinum Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Provence Santé Soap
Nivea asb

The second shave with the Astra was even nicer than the first.

Ian

Saturday:

Merkur Slant
Voskhod
New Forest Tubby 1
Arko stick
Bulldog asb

Arko has been on my 'must try' list for a while, and today was my first use of it. Superb quality lather, but holy crap, the scent is downright nasty! I know that Arko tends to polarise opinion, but compared to my current faves (Nanny's lavender, and La Toja stick), it has all the finesse and allure of industrial lavatory cleaner :icon_eek:.

Thankfully the Slant + Voskhod was as smooth and efficient as ever :icon_smile:.

Saturday:
Hot towel
'le Tuft' Custom Silvertip/Ingrams Shave cream
Superspeed/ 7 o'clock Yellow
Alum
Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm

Excellent shave with a strong menthol kick from the Ingrams and nice finish with the Bay Rum :icon_razz:
regards, beejay

EJ DE89
W/Sword
Vulfix Mix
GFT Cream and GFT Violet Cream mix
Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood splash
GFT Sandalwood cologne

I didnt get the lather mix right today so ended up with a lighweight, almost foamy effect. Not a bad shave in the end though and I smell nice.... time for beer and football. Have a splendid weekend all.

Saturday 20th

Double Duck 4/8 wedge
Neil Miller linen/English bridle strops (40/60)
SWK XL
Vie-Long horsehair barbers pro
Acca Kappa 1869 veggie
Thann Shiso after shave lotion
Santa Maria Novella Emulsione Analcolica

R0012481.jpg

Pretty hefty and very floppy brush (but still nice), bowl lather, the DD seems to be not that forgiving (but I'm not very experienced so will use it more before expressing concrete opinions), overall a close shave but I still miss Swedish steel...

There's a high chance I'll be most likely moving to Norway, Greece or Asia (South Korea or even China) by Christmas, so I feel life is finally about to get more exciting. We'll see.

Saturday

Decided to go Turkish today hence:

Gillette New OC
Derby Extra (2)
Neep Elite
Arko stick
Trumpers lime skin food
Doruk Lemon cologne

Splendid lathering from the Neep and Arko, though I do find I get it everywhere when face lathering! Am also relieved to find the Arko pungency reducing a bit after it's been open for a fortnight.

The New is a strange thing. It feels like it is barely cutting but I think it's pretty aggressive. 4 passes on my neck the other day irritated it to hell and I couldn't shave yesterday. Just did 3 today and it's come up a treat, these vintage Gillettes are marvellous things!

Hot flannel prep
New Forest Silvertip
Nannys Lavender
Ever Ready 1912
Alum
Prof Blighty's Lavender AS

Second shave with the Ever Ready very enjoyable smooth no irritation.

Saturday

Congrats Konstantinos, to the possible upgrade in country :D Brush looks absolutly lovely, is it horse hair? And the DD looks very cool too (we don't se many DDs on this side of the pond).

Prep: Hot shower w a lovely T&H soap
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3
Razor: Puma, with custom made horn scales (MOP inlays) by Neil Miller
Soap: MdC
AS/edt: Paco Rabanne Ultra Violet
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Such a sweet razor, easy cut and excellent to move around the face and the MdC was chunky, ultra slick and with that lovely lavender scent (C V Heljestrand SE razor in the pic too, for display only, this time) :D
002800x702.jpg

Hot shower prep
Rod Neep Elite Brush.........still moulting but has a while to go before it is bald.:icon_razz:
Maca Root Cream
Toggle (last shave with this one)
7 O'Clock Black (2)
Ogallala Bay Rum Limes & Peppercorns A/S

As with the Yellows the 7 O'Clock Black gave a much smoother shave on it's second outing. Maca Root is growing on me and Rods brush performed very well producing loads of lather.
Onto a new monkey tomorrow........:angel::angel:

RE: Saturday

Mikael said:
Congrats Konstantinos, to the possible upgrade in country :D Brush looks absolutly lovely, is it horse hair? And the DD looks very cool too (we don't se many DDs on this side of the pond).

Nothing secured as yet job-wise but thanks. I will be happy and smiling only when it is official.

The razor is from our own Matt here ('matt31'):

R0012483.jpg

The brush has this metal element at the top half part of the handle, that makes it quite hefty weight-wise actually (raises the CoG as we would say if it was a ship). This not highly polished metal could look even more pure and smooth in texture, but this is just my personal and subjective opinion - that's all.

Performance-wise the brush is very floppy, the black hair is not so prickly and feels great on the face, the loft height is very good (62mm) and to be honest, for 10.50 Euros none of us should complain by any means.

The strong points of this brush for me are the feel of this hair on the face, the heftiness of the handle and the price. The weak points are the quality/finish of the top half part of the handle, the knot backbone and density as well perhaps (only if one is used to or prefers very dense brushes though).

Overall I would recommend this brush - if you order again from G&C you could certainly give it a try.

R0012484.jpg

^^ Thank K! Matt's a top notch guy and those smokey (horn!?) scales are a very good fit for the DD razor (original DD scales often aren't very good to start with even though often nice looking)!

I'm holding my fingers crossed for you and if you'll move to Norway we would be even closer and maybe even could arrange a Scandinavian TSR meet :D

No, scales are plastic I believe.

Thanks for the support, the job change will be very important for me.

If I move up there I'll drive the Blixes and the Zephyrs over at SRP completely nuts as well :p

N_Architect said:
No, scales are plastic I believe.

Thanks for the support, the job change will be very important for me.

If I move up there I'll drive the Blixes and the Zephyrs over at SRP completely nuts as well :p

That would be great, they do seem nuts, in a good way, but maybe not as nuts as some Greek guys around here :p

Boots No 7 for men face wash,
Muhle R89, with Personna red #1
Valobra soap stick,
Kent BK2 pure badger brush,
Speick after shave lotion.
Alfred Sung pour homme EDT

Great shave today, no nicks at all.

Back
Top Bottom