Shave of the day w/c Saturday 1st May 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never put Alum in my SOTD but for me that like saying I used water, to me a shave is not complete without Alum. Will note and adjust in future because I realise many don't use it.

Tuesday midday. 05-04-10.

Soap from Aleppo - Pre Proraso - Kimson silvertip - Merkur 37C slant - Feather #1 - Williams stick in a puck - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original Aloe Vera - ASB Weleda.

Afeitado04-05-10001.jpg

Wednesday

Gillette Flair Tipped Rocket
Iridium D3
RVC 2 Band
La Toja Stick
Alum
Speick ASL

Every time I use La Toja I say I should use it more often...Has anyone tried their after shave & if so how does it fair?

Wednesday

Proraso Pre
Merkur HD w/ Persona (4)
TGS Silvertip
Palmolive Shave Stick
Real Shave Co. Moisturiser

First morning shave for about 2 years, felt much easier than evening shaving and even got an unheard of 4th shave out of the Persona, may even go for a fifth with this blade.

Wednesday

Merkur 34c
Shark SS (3)
404 Bodger
Erasmic (Bowl) Soap

Proraso AS & Proraso ASB Mix

Smoothest outcome of the week and close. I use the Erasmic soap because I do like the smell and the outcome is usually good but how I really don't know. The lather quality can be best described as jejune; you can almost see it disappear before your eyes if you're not quick with the razor. I'll keep it and use it sporadically until it runs out - simply for the nostalgic scent - but I will certainly not replace it. The cream is great the soap is er, not!

Still, mustn't grumble, a very decent shave.

Wednesday

Men-U face wash
Kent BK2 badger brush
Speick shave stick
Muhle R89 razor with Personna red (#1)
Proraso ASB

Great shave today, getting the hang of the Muhle R89 after using the Merkur 1904 for so long ! :)

Wednesday

Bit of a sore face day, that Eclipse is nice but it is more aggressive than I gave it credit for. Antdad said that he noticed BBS comes later, the same is true of a over zealous shave, at least for me, I find it is later that evening or the next morning I feel a little more tender on the face then the previous day, weird but for me anyway there is this delayed reaction. Given this I retreated to safety

Long hot shower, conditioned my hair so smeared some on my face and left it to sit for a minute
EJ Chatsworth acrylic handle and for the first time in a long time I took the blade form one razor to another, used the one from yesterdays Eclipse
Warmed brush scuttle
Tabac bowl soap
Simpsons Astor
2 pass shave with touch up
Thayers witch hazel
Body shop seaweed moisturiser
Dr Harris A/S milk
Later before I leave foe the afternoon probably a squirt of a cologne (not decided yet)

Face feels much better.

Wednesday

The Coates really does produce superb lather. My PJ2 Best loves it. Stuck to the Merkur again today despite the glow from the replacement Chatsworth. Used a Swede for the first time - very impressed.

3-5.jpg

Wednesday

Quick Shower + Face Wash with Some Fancy Camomile Soap*
Gillette Swede (2) WTG, XTG, ATG.
Men-U Brush, the cheapest one - I think you can get it for £8 in boots with a tiny tube of men-u cream
Cella Soap (Thanks Andy)
Alum
Boots Witch Hazel/Tea Tree
Lab Series AS Balm

Best shave in a long time. When dry, I don't particularly adore the cella smell. However, it is much more subtle when lathered and I really like it.

Great feedback from the ALUM. Ran alum bar over my face twice, but still no tingling.
It's also the first time I used the cheapo men-u brush in almost a year. I take back everything I said - it is a bloody good brush for the money. Whipped up a lather in seconds from the Cella. SMALL brushes ROCK!
The brush has only been used a few times and hasn't 'bloomed' at all. It is NOT scratchy, holds a decent amount of water and is nice to handle. It is a synthetic brush. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boots.com/en/Men-u-barbiere-pure-bristle-shaving-brush-with-white-stand-and-free-15ml-buddy-tube-of-Men-u-shave-creme._13833/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boots.com/en/Men-u-barbiere- ... me._13833/</a><!-- m -->

Anyone used it or the one 'above' it ?: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boots.com/en/Men-u-Premier-Shaving-Brush-blue-with-stand-and-free-15ml-buddy-tube-of-Men-u-Shave-Creme_13837/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.boots.com/en/Men-u-Premier-S ... eme_13837/</a><!-- m --> - is it just a bigger version?

How Do boar brushes differ from synthetics?

I will use my badger silvertip with the cella tomorrow and compare with the men-u to see if it was the brush or if the Cella is just VERY good. My badger brush is no slouch and not floppy at all, but the extra 'stiffness' from the men-u synthetic brush is probably more suited to soaps. Even with a 'soft' soap like cella.

I remember reading from the booklet that comes with Kent Brushes that badger hairs have tiny 'holes' which capture dirt and help cleans the beard/skin. Is this just marketing BS or is this true? Do you know if boar brushes have these tiny holes? UPDATE: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.men-u.com/store_products.php?&prodview=&prodid=118&cat=2&title=Shave%20&%20Skin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.men-u.com/store_products.php ... 20&%20Skin</a><!-- m --> - is this what they were talking about? - scroll down to middle of page.

Anyone have a list of the ingredients for Cella please?

* Instead of my usual liquid face wash or hot water, I washed my face with a bar of body soap today. Skin felt tight (but not dry) after the shave. Anyone else felt this too?

Thanks

Sonny

Sonny,

Isnt the cheap one from boots, a pure bristle..?
The more expensive Men U is a synthetic one. I think thats right?

N.B. (No actual 100% facts were used in the making of this post :lol: )

hunnymonster said:
JaseB said:
Isnt the cheap one from boots, a pure bristle..?
The more expensive Men U is a synthetic one. I think thats right?

Think so - Bristle around a tenner, Synthetic is about £25

Yep. I'll concur. The "Pure Bristle" around the £8 mark is boar, and the "Premier" at about 25 quid is synthetic.

The Pure Bristle is my daily brush, and I think that it's fandabbydozy. :mrgreen:

The Men-U barbiere is pure bristle and £8 the Men-U Premier is synthtic as they are trying to replicate badger hair. Last time I saw one with was about £10 more expensive that what hunnymonster was saying.

Wednesday

Futur
Bleue Extra (lost count of how many days but today was the last)
No name badger brush
Speick cream
Alum/Witchhazel
Old Spice Fresh Lime AS

Next shave im going to try either a Swede or a 7 O'clock Yellow to see if the Futur takes all Gillette blades as well as the Bleue Extras. Used a few of them in the Futur now and they seem to work much better all round for me than a Feather. Also, maybe it's been the addition of witchhazel but my face has been feeling a lot better after shaves and a lot of the problems I was having before now seem to have lessened with that addition and additional concentration on the task in hand.

Finally, I tried the Old Spice Fresh Lime AS from connaught tonight and........... holy shit! That stuff is the business. Smells like Old Spice should and left my face feeling all zingy for a few minutes. Followed by zero irritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom