Shave of the day W/C Saturday 16th April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuesday, 04-19-11. MUSIC: Franco Battiato_LP La stagione dell'amore.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upmUcSdwq8[/youtube]

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - The Golden Nib Silvertip Grade A - Merkur Progress - Polsilver #1 - Pre ErPracticante Water handmade- Castle & Forbes Lime shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - Gel aftershave JASÖN 6 in 1 - ASL Myrsol Agua de Limón.

Afeitado19-04-11001-2.jpg

Tuesday PM (evening)

Musgo Real Glyce lime oil soap
Hot flannel
Merkur HD
Crystal Platinum (4)
Kent BK2
Palmolive Classic cream, bowl-lathered
Boots witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive ASB

3 passes: WTG, XTG, XTG

Result: SAS - some remaining roughness on lower cheeks prevented me from rating it a DFS.

I gave the Palmolive a stern test this evening. Merkur HD, which I find aggressive and difficult to get the right blade angle with, old Crystal Platinum (which I have found to tug rather a lot) and, on top of that, I had 3 days' growth. As expected, it wasn't a very comfy shave, and I had trouble getting the consistency of the lather right - it seemed dry and sticky and took more water than last time to get really slippery. Having said that, I'm certain that RSC cream wouldn't have coped as well. I definitely think that Palmolive will be replacing RSC as my standard, everyday cream, and as for the Merkur? Well, that was the last Crystal blade from the sample pack I bought from Connaught a few months ago - I've reloaded with a SuperMax Stainless (my favourite so far) and will be shaving with this combination either tomorrow or Thursday.

Monday, 18.Apr.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Semogue 830
Creme para barbear Top Secret
Edwin Jagger DE86
Bolzano Superinox
Thayers Witch Hazel Lavender
Institut Karité Baume Après Rasage

P1030698.jpg

Tuesday, 19.Apr.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Semogue 1305
Nanny's Silly Soaps Grapefruit (sample)
Edwin Jagger DE86
Personna Continente
Thayers Witch Hazel Lemon
Proraso Crema Liquida

P1030699.jpg

Tuesday

White proraso pre/post
NF2201
Trumpers coconut cream
Muhle R41 + derby (1)
Natural Limes A/S
Natural Limes Balm

thought I would give this much raved about combo a go. Left very smooth, but I think the derby's are not the blade for me - seem to get better results with a red IP, less irritation. Will try another couple of shaves with this razor and blade combo.

No shave today gents! I have been reminded in no uncertain terms why I stopped drinking a few years ago!
No way was I putting 2.75 inches of scary sharp carbon steel to my face? Normal operations will resume tomorrow......if I have stopped shaking? :roll:

Ah tomorrows a new day. :oops:

Tuesday Morning

34c HD Safety Razor
Lord Super Chrome blade (1)
Arko shaving stick
404 "Grosvenor" shaving brush
Tabac AS

Attempted a three pass shave. However, by the second pass, I had various nasty cuts. I put it down to a dud Lord blade. Therefore, I abandoned ship and did last pass with an Astra Super Platinum blade (2), in my splendid Lord Tech clone safety razor.

In addition, Boots styptic pencil and liberal use of Tabac AS saved the day somewhat. :|

Tuesday

Semogue 2009 LE
Hellberg 4/8 spike

Nanny's Forest of Norway soft soap (sample)
Witch hazel
Cella Classica edc

Sharon seems to think that the pine scent in this new soap is a little weak, and on this occasion I think she's right. The formula has been tweaked yet again, so the consistency is a bit softer, but the performance seems much the same which is to say first class. The razor is a pleasure to use, Mikael :D

Tuesday Evening:

• - Merkur 40B Barrel Grip
        • - aka the Big Blue Butt-plug[/list:u][/list:u]
          - Big Ben Blue super stainless
          - Gibbs Sea Minerals shave cream
          - men-u Première Syntetico
          - Thayers' Lemon witch hazel
          - Booster Iced Lime ASL[/list:u][/list:u]

I have obviously overworked the shave-action as far as my central sinister maxillarily quadrantificatial fleshie-bits are concerned - my bad, not the blade, shaver, or cream; the culprit was my OCD and lacking concentration of my very own cranial-based attentivised ocualrial sensor-skills.

Woden's Day
  • Gillette Fusion ProGlide
  • Simpson Tulip T2 (two band) Super
  • D R Harris Almond shaving soap
  • Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet EDT[/list:u]

Off work for a few days now.

Couldn't run this morning - tight right Achilles tendon - always happens after I've played golf. Reckon it is because I carry my clubs over my right shoulder. Might have to invest in a cheap trolley.

Taking my youngest climbing today, then going to watch daughter give a presentation about the Prince's Trust Volunteers programme which she's just completed. I did the same thing 15 years ago.

Wednesday, 20.Apr.2011

Predopobarba Proraso
Antiga Barbearia de Bairro Brush (Semogue pure badger)
Valobra sapone per barba
Edwin Jagger DE86
Personna Continente
Thayers Witch Hazel Lavender
Proraso Crema Liquida

P1030701.jpg

This very morning:

Prep: Hot shower, application of Alt Innsbruck Pre/Post shave oil.

The music: Local radio (Northsound 1)

The Shave: EJ DE89, loaded with an Astra Superior Platinum (1)
Bowl lathered some Trumpers Coconut shaving cream - overdid the water to begin with so had to use the whole sample tub to get the required thickness.

Three passes plus touch-ups on those troublesome jowls. (WTG, ATG, XTG and a wee bit of tache buffing, which unfortunately included an instance of nostril slicing :oops: )

Post shave: Rinse rinse rinse alum rub final rinse.

Used up the last dod of Alt Innsbruck as a post shave, couple of squirts of the matching cologne sampler (which comes in a handy wee spray bottle) - lovely sort of herbal fragrance, almost medicinal in a natural not dettol-ish fashion.

Smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth!

Ainslie

Wednesday:

EJ : Wilkinson : Simpson : Top Secret : Floid : Art of Shaving : Miller Harris

SOTD_20Apr.jpg

My beloved but wounded Simpson 57 is back from our resident dee... err I meant beejay :oops: :mrgreen: :lol:
Bill hand sanded back all rough edges and rounded them over. He then hand polished to 12000 grit and re-polished the whole handle, back to its original ‘as new’ condition and the end result is really nice, I did not feel anything this morning when holding the handle during shaving. Another detailed, meticulous and truly excellent job by Bill. :D

Prep: Hot shower
Soap: Nannys Yoshu
AS: Floid
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Mr Uberclean :D
024800x646.jpg

What a nice blade and razor! I´m sitting here a petting my face in delight after 2 1/2 passes :D I´m happy you like the blade Andy, it was so nice I had to hunt down another like it :D but to be honest, your blade was in a state of it´s own.

Shower
Radio 4

EJ DE89
Crystal (2)
Men U brush
Maca Root cream
Essentials Balm
Jovan

Great shave today, two passes and touch ups.
Update on yesterdays post shave rash which I thought had been bought on by the RSC balm-It seemed to calm down to an amazing level after a while, thought it was going to be a really noticeable troublesome rash at first when it kicked in, it was that red and sore. Perhaps thats how it works, cruel to be kind, but it settled down nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom