Shave of the Day. W/C Saturday 14th Aug 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday Evening

Merkur HD + Feather (2)
Newfy 2201
Nanny's Exotic soap
Old Spice White Water AS

I like Nanny's soap: it's nice and slippy. But I'm not overly keen on the scent. I get the scent of pencils rather than anything exotic. Nevertheless, a good shave. Bought the White Water today and I like it. Smells a bit like Cola cubes.

Tuesday

Still a bit spotty from the diabolical Fusion shave last week but scraped by.

Futur
Iridium Super
No Name Badger Brush
Gillette Sensitive Cream
Thayers Medicated Superhazel
Old Spice Lime AS

Pretty good result. First time with an Iridium and I found it to be very close (almost as close as a feather) but not the smoothest of shaves compared to a Super Thin or Bleue Extra. End result was good though.

I've decided that the indisposable part of my kit is now Thayers Medicated Superhazel. It has enough astringent bite but still helps the skin.

Also I used the Gillette Sensitive cream I found when I was on holiday (only one tube in the shop). It looks like this but with green instead of red <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/gilletteclassic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/gilletteclassic.html</a><!-- m --> anyone know where I can get more of this?

Saturday & Sunday Nights:

• Live from the Hebden Bridge weekend:
    • - Peach Thayers' cleansing (Sat.)/
        • Yorkshire Soap Co. Peppermint & Lavender glycerin (Sun.)[/list:u][/list:u]
          - Gillette Minora British-made 3 piece; Post-War/late 40's; red bakelite
          - Crystal IP
          - Schwartzkopf/Henkel's La Toja Stick
          - ShakVix boar (Vulfix Old Original No 6 for Shaving Shack)
          - Peach (Sat.)/Rose (Sun.) Thayers' Witch Hazel
          - Alcolado Glacial AS[/list:u][/list:u]

Whenever I come back to the Minora I am amazed by just how wonderful a shave I can get with it ... Fan-bloody-tastic!

Monday Night:
          • Back in South Yorkshire's (former) Steel City:
            • - Gillette Rocket HD
              - Gillette Rubie Platinum
              - Le Tuft Cobalt Blue SuperBadger
              - Kalina Everest Cream
              - Kalina Phyto Expert for Men ASL
              - New Dawn Russian Lavender AS[/list:u][/list:u]

Never used the Kalina/New Dawn stuffs before; all Russian as far as I know, and all untranslated into English (or even Canuckish), as yet. I'm quite positively impressed with the gentle but effect menthol of the Everest (which probably should have been made with a few drops more of water than I used), as well as the Phyto Expert's ability to quickly sooth all ills of my shave with brand new, unfamiliar materiel.

New Dawn's alcohol content is just a bit under the 80% mark of the Turkish AS/EdTs I have, and it certainly packs a wicked sting, but that goes away before the impulse to rip your own face off really takes hold. Personally, it makes me think of Old Spice Fresh Lime AS, if it was scented with lavender not limes - not strongly lavender but more hinted at ... I wouldn't call it necessarily a subtle AS, just a subtly lavender one.

Tuesday Night:
              • - EJ89L with a Gillette Bleue Extra (Russian Blue, not NOS)
                - ToOBS St James Collection cream
                - Le Tuft Cobalt Blue SuperBadger
                - Rose Thayers' Witch Hazel
                - Alcolado Glacial AS[/list:u]

Pretty smooth shaves all along so far this week; a bit of pinking with the Rocket of all things, but then, it is one of my newest additions to the stable, and one of the least used, so far.

Tuesday

5/8 Air Brand
TOBS Lemon & Lime cream
Simpsons Commodore X1
Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera
Boots Essentials AS Balm
Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Tuesday night

hot towel
Pre - Proraso Pre/post
Connaught sandalwood cream
badger brush from Exec. Shaving (my only brush)
Merkur HD Slant (39c?)
Apollo no. 10 blade (2nd shave)
Alum Block
proraso CE razor burn repair
3 crowns sandalwood ASB :D

A good shave (and I appear to have found another blade I like although putting a carbon steel blade in a slant makes funny noises and cracked the inside of the blade (not the cutting edge though) :shock:

Razor: Rolls Razor
Brush: Vie-Long 16728
Cream: C.o.Bigelow
ASB: C.O.Bigelow Red Elixir
Cologne: C.O.Bigelow Red Elixir

SPM_A2623.jpg

Wednesday

Merkur HD
Personna IR (3)
EJ BBB
GFT cream
Witch Hazel
Old Spice original AS

Not the shave this morning, went with the grain twice then across once then a bit of a touch up around the chin. Starting to get quite a red spotty neck and it's not to close a shave there either, my neck seems to degrade as the week goes on, not sure why?

Ids said:
Starting to get quite a red spotty neck and it's not to close a shave there either, my neck seems to degrade as the week goes on, not sure why?

Too much pressure or incorrect blade angle. I also find that stretching the skin slightly with your spare hand can help. Necks can be tricky to get right. Mine is!

Anyway, my SoTD.

Wednesday

Gillette Tech (Gold Plated, undated)
Iridium
New Forest 2201
MWF
Old Spice Whitewater a/s

Ian

Wednesday
EJ DE87 + Feather
Simpson Duke 2 Best
Palmolive stick

Ids said:
Starting to get quite a red spotty neck and it's not to close a shave there either, my neck seems to degrade as the week goes on, not sure why?

Work out which way your beard grows on your neck. Most men assume a straight down shave is going 'with the grain' when in fact they might be going 'against the grain'.

Wednesday

Merkur 37c
Red Personna (2)
Simpson's Wee Scot
Nanny's Lavender Soap

Brut Original AS

I was/still am in a bloody awful fettle this morning (work politics, you know how it is) so I actually had about 5 patches of claret on my face. All disappeared with the rinses so nothing serious, probably temper and too much pressure but, all the same, a nuisance.

When all rinsed and AS'd up it was a smooth outcome but if I'm being honest I'm just not in the mood for it - or much else - today!

:x

Wednesday morning
Pre: Hot shower
Razor Othello
Brush: New Forest
Soap: Tabac
AS: Tabac
Strop: Neil Miller linnen/buffallo
Result. Super clean

This blade is _sharp_, the sharpest regular straight I got . It´s NOS, but the scales where no good so Neil put some lovely leopard wood scales on her :D
47447d1282122158-sotd-sun-august-15th-sat-august-21st-snb13158.jpg

Hot shower
Proraso pre shave eucalyptus
Omega 10005 brush
Coat's LTD ED soap
Muehle R89
Personna blade
Proraso post shave sensitive
Proraso A/S
Body shop macca root moisuriser.

First time using all of these ingredients :)
Went fantastic actually, I noticed before I shaved my whole face on the first pass that the cream started to flake off and land on my shoulders/chest :? Im not sure if this is because I put too much pre shave cream on or if I made the lather too dry??
I mixed up a fresh bowl of soap using a little more water and with much better results, much more thick foam and it didnt flake off ;) .
No razor burn that I have noticed yet and only one minor nick which stopped after a minute, I like the Proraso aftershave very much, not too strong smelling, very discrete.
Thanks to Dave for sending me a few sample blades including the Personna which was a very good recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom