Shave of the day W/C Saturday 13th August 2011

Fontenille 6/8 Spanish Point, dos decoré, Ambrose Spanish Horse (25/50) , Joris Gris Européen loupe de thuya, Martin de Candre sanns parfum, Emeraude

P8144030.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1970s Schick adjustable type M injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
St Johns Bay Rum cologne

Hadn't planned on getting the injector out again this soon, but I hadda try some blades I recently ran across. I'm guessing these are from 1970, since P3 is stamped on the injector key.

Very nice shave, but I think it'll be even better tomorrow. It's possible the lather wasn't quite perfect today, plus I had two days worth of whiskers to whack. I have a feeling these blades are gonna work out just fine, judging by how smooth my face is now.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday 08-14-11.MUSIC: The Rolling Stones_LP_Love your Live.

36.jpg

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - CaniRichalll handmade brush TGN Two Bands 30X53 - Gillette Fat Boy - Iridium Super #1 - Pre JASÖN - Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Castle Forbes Lime - ASL Myrsol Agua Balsámica.

Afeitado14-08-11002.jpg

Sunday

Proraso pre/post
Neo custom 2 band
Provence sante
FT rocket + shark SC (1)
Thayers
Anthonys razor burn repair

results:
3 passes, smooth and irritation free. the Anthonys is face numbing stuff. a wierd yet pleasant sensation.

Sunday Eve

Crabtree & Evelyn vintage pour homme soap
Edwin Jagger PB
Edwin Jagger DE87 with SuperMax stainless steel blade
Alum
Nivea sensitive ASB

nice & smooth

Usual hot shower prep.
Gillette Toggle,
Swede.
Nanny's French Lavender hard soap
Beejay Ikon Custom Brush
Speick A/S

First shave with the Toggle, dialed up to 6
2 passes and a tidy up.
Enjoying using Nanny's new hard soap, nice slick stable lather.
Smooth shave no irritation, no nicks.
All in all a good day.

Sunday evening shave. Unusually for me, decided to shave while soaking my sore back in a nice hot bath. Using the Gilette Slim Adjustable, with a nice new Super Thin blade, Ogallala bay rum and lemongrass shave stick (first attempt with a shave stick) and my recently acquired TOBS pure badger brush.
Wasn't too confident after rubbing the stick over the chops, but the brush seemed to absorb the soap and create a lather within itself very effectively. The brush feels a bit more scratchy on the face than my Vulfix bodger, then again it is a far newer brush.
Three passes plus small touchups- - found the actual shave itself a bit awkward due to the seated position, the result was close enough but not bbs. Plenty lather left in the brush after the shave, could easily have done the napper too, had I been so inclined.
Liked the smell of the shave stick a lot - seemed only fair to match the scent with a splash of barbershop bay rum aftershave - lovely!

Not convinced I'll be shaving in the tub again - but the other elements were fine. Definitely going to be taking the shave stick with me if I travel anywhere.

Monday 15th

Sheffield blade, 6/8+, 1/2 hollow
Neil Miller strops linen/english bridle 40/60
Muehle synthetic silvertip faux ebony 23mm knot
Real Shaving Co. sensitive shave cream
Thann after shave lotion
Korres melograno moisturizer
Diptyqye Tam Dao eau de toilette

Too sharp due to stropping or the shave cream is not very cushiony, result was ok of course but with that blade I've got marginally better results in the past so something went slightly off today.

No time to take a picture, looks like a busy week ahead, may have to fly to Liverpool this or next week to go and see an old lady that's been sort of abandoned for some years now in the port there.

Saturday/Sunday/Monday

Lord L5
Astra SP (1/2/3)
T&H Turnback - Super (S/S). Wilky Boar (M)
Proraso Soap (S) Erasmic Super Soap (S/M)

Various AS or ASB.

I have decided to keep the Lord L5 as a foreign/flying travel razor, ie lose it - so what.

Once I got used to it, again, it was nick-free and provided rather good shaves; I'm quite happy with it and I'd be glad to recommend it - they're only about a fiver.

We'll start with the Jagger tmorrow...

(PS. Mrs S and I went to Scotchland to buy a dog yesterday - so I'm now the proud owner of a black/tan, long legged, 8 week old working Jack Russell pup).

L'Occitane Verbena soap
Feather AS-D1
Feather Blade
New Forest Finest silvertip 2213
Vulfix Persian musk
Alum + Distilled Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx balm
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

Jamie

Two pass shave absolutely no complaints.

011-1.jpg

Monday morning

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Bill's horn/Paua Abalone/Simpson knot
Razor: The Three Crosses
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Ogallalla, Limes and Peppercorns
Strop: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean indeed :D

How nice to be back in soft water land :D Everything was easier, even the way the blade moved over the face. I think hard water dulls the edges way faster too, my newly honed W&B seemed very dull compared to this blade, that has been around way longer. Well, enough whining about hard water, it's good to be home again :D
007800x652.jpg

Monday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' Blade
New Forest 2201 Brush
Palmolive Shaving Cream
Alum
Nivea asb

Didn't shave yesterday, so 48 hours worth of stubble removed nice and easily.

I can't seem to leave the DE89 alone, and the Palmolive is taking a battering.

Ian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1970s Schick injector M type adjustable/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Barbershop Bay Rum AS
Creed 'Santal Imperial' EdT

Second time using this old blade and man.....this thing's pretty darn sharp. Yeah, I was a little heavy handed today and left myself with a half inch slice on my jaw. I just barely touched the razor to my face and bingo! Heh, that was enough to get my attention and the rest of the shave was without incident.

Next time I'll dial the razor down one more click, which is why having an adjustable is a nice option. Heh, I'll also pay a bit more attention to detail.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Schick M type combo 002 (Small).jpg
    Schick M type combo 002 (Small).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom