Shave of the day W/C Oct 01/10/2011

Wednesday

Muhle R106
Vikings Sword
Penworks Finest 24mm
Martin de Candre
Sea of Spa ASB

My wife recently returned from Israel and brought me home a variety of shave creams, some blades and an aftershave balm. The Vikings Sword blade is pretty good (from Israel)! Second shave with it today and it went really smooth. I also recently received a sample of the Martin de Candre soap. I agree with others who have used this and posted about it. It is amazing and I really like the scent too! It was a good shave!

Re: RE: Wednesday

N_Architect said:
Feather AC RG

The Feather Light blade is a mighty little devil, two small visits by Mr. Nick this morning, so good enough to make me miss the ProGuards.

Would you say the AC with ProGuard blades was suitable for a beginner to straights, in the way that most say a Shavette isn't?

Wednesday:

Merkur HD 34c
Voskhod
Nanny's French Lavender soap
Nameless 2 band badger 24mm

A rare evening shave, and the first time I've used a Voskhod in the HD. Sweet child o' mine, they are well suited! Mowed through a day and a half's stubble with utter ease.

The first pass would have sufficed, but of course I was having way too much fun. Another pass and some touch ups, and I was smoother than George Clooney in a vat of baby oil. Oh yes.

Wednesday
RazoRock Tea Boston Boston Party SS/Simpson Colonel brush/Muhle R41 with Astra/Alum/RazoRock wax balsam
P1220695.jpg

Wednesday 10-05-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% oliva - Semogue 1305 - Gillette Rocket HD500 - Supermax Super Stainless #2 - Pre Proraso - LEA Mentolada shaving cream - Alum block - Toner Thayers Original - ASB Proraso - ASL Myrsol Fórmula K.

Afeitado05-10-11.jpg

Only had a few minutes for a shave tonight after jumping out of the shower, as her indoors was already preparing my right royal repast (aye right!)
So I kept it simple:

Vulfix Bodger 404A (first shave in ages with this little beauty)
Edwin Jagger barley chrome de89
Elios blade (got in a pif ages ago, decided twas its time to break free from the paper wrap and smite my whiskers)
Kappus shaving cream

dead simple two passes no touchups

result: perfectly acceptable for a quicky:icon_razz::icon_razz:

sometimes it's easier just to crack on without thinking about it too much.

RE: Wednesday

Dr Rick said:
Would you say the AC with ProGuard blades was suitable for a beginner to straights, in the way that most say a Shavette isn't?

While I have not shaved with a shavette (I knew the dangers mainly due to the difference in technique required but also due to the existence of these shavette blades, as compared to a traditional straight razor), the answer I would personally give is a full YES.

Definitely yes.

People say that there are also differences between shaving with a traditional straight and with a Feather AC. Yes, this is true, but I personally find that these reported differences are not that great once you do build up muscle memory and get used to straight shaving in general.

In my case of course I started from traditional/conventional straights and then moved on to the Feather AC RG using the 'Light' blade for a few shaves with great caution. Perhaps it was that exactly because of that reason (i.e. starting with standard straights) I got to adapt easier/faster to the Feather straights.

After going back to traditional straights for a few more months, and once the technique there solidified even more, I got the new Feather SS. It was that razor which I loaded with a ProGuard for the first time and the shave was a 99% BBS with two simple passes. Straight after that, I used the 'Light' blade on the SS. Big difference, the ProGuard spoils you.

Then I changed location and could only use the AC RG. Loaded it up with a 'Light' blade, same feeling and results - the ProGuard is a better blade to use. The 'Light' offers less exposure from the razor, which may seem safer, but on the other hand the construction of the ProGuard blade is fundamentally geared towards safe shaving.

Last but not least, from my limited experience in straight shaving, I cannot stress enough that (in my personal opinion) it is best to start with a conventional straight. This is the school where you'll learn to have the right technique. Once you work that there for at least a while, any jump to any other medium will be much more easy to attain (simply because it'll be a step down, even if we're talking about a very minor step down for the case of Feather folding straights).

Now if you ask about Kamisori-style razors, these require different technique again, but personally I haven't got into that yet.

Feather AC RG Midnight Wood scales loaded with Feather Light blade:

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Thursday

Muhle R101
Astra SP
Omeega 10005
Kent Soap
Nivea Cool Kick A/B
Sienna Breeze A/S

Back in Manx land and loaded up a Astra into the R101, def a keeper for this razor, this and the Treet Durasharp are my goto blades for the R101, lovely smooth shave and not a weeper or cut in sight.

ttfn

T

N_Architect said:
Mikael did not have a coffee this am or what then?

Every morning's coffee morning, not allways I've got time to take a pic though :D

Prep: Hot shower
Bush: Neep, in Masur Birch and extra stuffed silvertip :D
Razor: Wade and Butcher, for barbers use
AS: Old Spice, Fresh Lime
Cream: Vulfix, English Rose
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very close :D

Almost to close, what a razor and what a brush! The picture doesn't do this brush justice, it's amazing patterns and swirls in this tree - almost haze like.
002800x686-2.jpg

... and this mornings shot of espresso:
005800x600-2.jpg

Botanics face scrub
Razor Feather Artist club SS
Feather blade
Le Tuft 1.5 Chubby Custom
Vulfix Persian Musk cream
Alum + Propolis
L'Occitane Bavx balm
L'Occitane Bavx EDT

Jamie.

Well my first shave with the Feather AC-SS, Now that's what I call a scary sharp razor flying by the seat of your pants, two tiny nicks just below the nose, must remember that next time, but overall very pleased with my first shave using this razor excellent smooth two pass shave, will make this my weekend shave from now on.

002-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom