Semogue brushes

Ah, the 1305 had been relegated to the box under the bed marked "stuff to sell".

Forgot how well this inexpensive brush works with soap.

Great pictures fido! the 2009 looks great but I'm a sucker for their painted Handles!
I was considering the 1305 but believe it's the same knot as the 830 so have pretty much settled on the 1438 as my next one, that is til someone put simpsons duke in the BST!

One thing I have noticed with these comprised th a EJ BBB is the knot spreads out quite a bit with lots of random bristles, not sure if it's something I'm doing or the nature of the beast? I works great just looks untidy.

Ids said:
Great pictures fido! the 2009 looks great but I'm a sucker for their painted Handles!
I was considering the 1305 but believe it's the same knot as the 830 so have pretty much settled on the 1438 as my next one, that is til someone put simpsons duke in the BST!

One thing I have noticed with these comprised th a EJ BBB is the knot spreads out quite a bit with lots of random bristles, not sure if it's something I'm doing or the nature of the beast? I works great just looks untidy.

The hair splaying is normal for a boar, they are not pretty things but do the job.

quattrojames said:
joe mcclaine said:
Ah, the 1305 had been relegated to the box under the bed marked "stuff to sell".

Hi Vinny (not Joe)

Is that 1305 available to buy?

Let me know if so

Thanks James.

@James - not for sale now, back in the bathroom.

joe mcclaine said:

Ah yes, I see the word 'had' now I look back :roll:

Sorry I meant to send this as a PM :?

Personally I have no love for the things except for the way they look.

There are a couple of TGN Finest brushes available on the BST, treat yourself. ;)

antdad said:
Personally I have no love for the things except for the way they look.

There are a couple of TGN Finest brushes available on the BST, treat yourself. ;)

Is that the 1305 specifically? Or Semogues in general?

At the risk of embarrassing myself, what's TGN mean? :oops:

It's me who should be embarrassed, I meant Penworks not TGN (The Golden Nib) even though they are run by the same fella.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25_73" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.penworks.us//index.php?main_ ... Path=25_73</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/</a><!-- m -->

Ah, hence my fruitless scan of the BST for a TGN definition! :lol:

The Penworks is a lovely brush I'm sure, but my NF 2201 is all the badger I need for now, and I hear there's a new one waiting in the wings! :ugeek:

A nice cheap boar is in order, and I fancy a Semogue ;)

I have the Semogue 2000 - excellent brush, though I find mysel gettig magpie eyes for a few specific brushes on Vintage Scent. The SOC and the two sold out & discontinued 1550s. :cry:

Even though the latter two have painted handles & dyed knots, I keep ending up looking at them whenever I visit that site.
    • Maybe it's the bitter-sweet melancholy knowledge that I can't get them?!
      • Well, that sentiment kinda sucks hind teat (... and I mean a mammary gland of a female red deer, in this instance)!
            • ... and remember, it's the sentiment doing the sucking.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

By the way ... is it just me, or does anyone else really wish that non-badger knots would stop being dyed to look like fake badgers? I mean, REALLY!

Fido said:
Lovely well made good value brushes. These are the 1305 on the left and the 2009 limited edition. I confess to a badger preference and I have passed on the 1305 so the LE will stay in very good condition.

Brushes do make fine ornaments - a pity they gather dust, so mine stay in one of my bookcases.

They barely look broken in. Which do you prefer between the two based on your premature impression? Moment I looked at the LE I knew it wasn't going to work so got rid of it. It's packed to the max. I wouldn't blame you if you let your LE collect dust it's worthless.

Urban Hermit said:
I have the Semogue 2000 - excellent brush, though I find mysel gettig magpie eyes for a few specific brushes on Vintage Scent. The SOC and the two sold out & discontinued 1550s. :cry:

Even though the latter two have painted handles & dyed knots, I keep ending up looking at them whenever I visit that site.
    • Maybe it's the bitter-sweet melancholy knowledge that I can't get them?!
      • Well, that sentiment kinda sucks hind teat (... and I mean a mammary gland of a female red deer, in this instance)!
            • ... and remember, it's the sentiment doing the sucking.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

By the way ... is it just me, or does anyone else really wish that non-badger knots would stop being dyed to look like fake badgers? I mean, REALLY!

• It's not just you I'm all for it. If any I'd prefer unsketched. But unfortunately I have more sketched than I can count. Appearances wise their horrid poseurs. Performance wise they can't be beat.

I kind of like Semogue's production brushes, but what really bugs me about them as a company is the fact that they only make their really decent brushes limited editions, and at inflated prices, which then seem to sell out in a day or two.

I've missed out on two really nice brushes lately, (the blue handled boar and the LE badger) whose specs are right on the money for me.

C'mon Semogue, let's see regular production of these LEs - I'm betting they would sell like hot cakes.

John

Back
Top Bottom