Semogue brushes

Pig Cat said:
Ids said:
The 1305 is the other one that has caught my attention

Love my 1305. It seems to have gone all soft and floppy :shock: having lost most of the backbone it had after a few months. This is rather good though as it's a really nice way to face lather. It doesn't hold oodles of lather but is certainly enough for a two pass shave with touch-ups. Sadly mine has come from the production where the quality of handle was rather dubious. I am assured that the quality is up to scratch now.

PC,

That's first I've heard of any Boar that's lost its spine. Is it fair to say it's become a rather flaccid brush? I've most positive experience with few Semogues I had sans 1470. The latter as mentioned in prior threads is flaccid. But other than that 620, 830 have been good to me.

I still use mine but then it's new like all my kit so still experimenting. At least now I manage to use the same set up for a week as oposed to changing it every day when I first started!

SiR-ed8 said:
Pig Cat said:
Ids said:
The 1305 is the other one that has caught my attention

Love my 1305. It seems to have gone all soft and floppy :shock: having lost most of the backbone it had after a few months. This is rather good though as it's a really nice way to face lather. It doesn't hold oodles of lather but is certainly enough for a two pass shave with touch-ups. Sadly mine has come from the production where the quality of handle was rather dubious. I am assured that the quality is up to scratch now.

PC,

That's first I've heard of any Boar that's lost its spine. Is it fair to say it's become a rather flaccid brush? I've most positive experience with few Semogues I had sans 1470. The latter as mentioned in prior threads is flaccid. But other than that 620, 830 have been good to me.

Yes it has gone a bit flaccid. I have used it a lot though and I'm not complaining as it has gone very soft due to the tips splitting well. I really like it, though perhaps it's not quite how it should be.

PC,

So compared to all your brushes is this the only one that's gone soft? I find that with my Vie-Long's be it 13061 horse, or horse/badger 14833 if soaked longer periods or too close to the neck of handle it becomes flaccid. I've yet to experience this with any Omega. Even the longer and densely lofted Boreal 977 there's still good spine and good flex without becoming flaccid. Anyway, to remedy the flaccidity of Vie-Long I don't pre-soak them as I would normally any brush but instead just dip them for few seconds and go from there.

Have you tried anything different? Since the tips have split its significantly soft I'm sure but as far as spine or "backbone" it's become mop-like or just a tad bit?

I've only got two others. One's a very dense large boar which is still...er...turgid? And the other is the Fido 2201 which is of course new. I have given the 1305 somewhat of a pounding and I soak it before each use. I really don't mind how it's turned out, in fact I really like it.

PC,

One thing I neglected to mention was the ones I also encountered to be flaccid would be Vulfix knots from TGN. They're one of my favourites and as mentioned prior the remedy was not to pre-soak them but only to dip quickly and pull out which found effective. These knots are a bit denser than OEM Vulfixes I have. Believe it or not with just 14 straight uses both 20 mm knots have become quite soft.

I wouldn't say I'm harsh on these or any brushes for that matter. Since you touched on it, it reminded me of this member from B&B who claimed that New Forest doesn't have enough "backbone" or something of that nature.

Reckon that was only time I've seen someone post that. I thought he was literally beating the sh*t out of his brush because mine is bout as stiff as my Simpsons B4. I'd have to use them side by side to truly tell which is stiffer of the two.

Well my 2 arrived today and I'm fairly pleased with the look of them, tried lathering some palm which the 404 smashed and found it very difficult, guess that's what the breaking in is all about so I'll give em a few weeks!

I got my 2000 yesterday. It looks good and even though it is not broken in......I have ordered a 'few more'. I had a great shave this morning so my twisted logic has decided that I should have multiple brushes as it is still cheaper than buying 1 expensive badger ;)

Brian

andyjreid said:
I have a 1305 and a 2015 they are worlds apart.

I got the 2015 on the BST here and the 1305 (along with an omega 20102) from shaving.ie

Is that because one is boar and the other badger? How does the 2015 perform?

Ids said:
andyjreid said:
I have a 1305 and a 2015 they are worlds apart.

I got the 2015 on the BST here and the 1305 (along with an omega 20102) from shaving.ie

Is that because one is boar and the other badger? How does the 2015 perform?

Yea but not just Boar and badger....

I bought the 1305 as I was interested in trying some boar brushes and I fell for the shape and feel of the handle...... the 2015 has the same design handle as the 1305 but the 2015 is Silvertip Badger so it is very very soft and it has a shorter loft than the 1305 which is a good thing otherwise it would go too floppy,

The 2015 performs really well for me and tends to work well with creams when mug lathering. I have yet to give it a run with soaps/face lathering.

They have really nice brushes but no matter which ones you try (from their 8 to 15 quid price range), once you get your hands on the SOC you cannot really go back in my opinion.

DSC_1816.jpg

DSC_1808.jpg

DSC_1814.jpg

Lovely well made good value brushes. These are the 1305 on the left and the 2009 limited edition. I confess to a badger preference and I have passed on the 1305 so the LE will stay in very good condition.

Brushes do make fine ornaments - a pity they gather dust, so mine stay in one of my bookcases.

Back
Top Bottom