SE v DE What's the benefits?

There may come a day when we have no choice of blade to use but fortunately it is not today.

Paul.
tenor.gif

I lurve my Ever Ready 1912, I can get BBS without really looking for it in 2 passes.
I was then wondering, as much as I adore my vintage ER, if there were modern razors that accommodated the GEM blades? This blade works very well for me in the ER, and rather than open up another rabbit hole with AC blades, I could find a razor that’ll work with mountain of GEM blades I already own?
If there aren’t any, I’ll soldier on with the daintiness and genius of the Ever Ready and resist this itch.

I lurve my Ever Ready 1912, I can get BBS without really looking for it in 2 passes.
I was then wondering, as much as I adore my vintage ER, if there were modern razors that accommodated the GEM blades? This blade works very well for me in the ER, and rather than open up another rabbit hole with AC blades, I could find a razor that’ll work with mountain of GEM blades I already own?
If there aren’t any, I’ll soldier on with the daintiness and genius of the Ever Ready and resist this itch.
Yes there is, the Blackland Sabre!

There's a few modern options: Blackland Sabre (L1 and L2), Above the Tie G1 and the PAA Starling. There may be more but I can't think of any at the mo

What did you dislike about it? I quite like the G1. @vates taught me about the different versions and I seem to have a V2 - not sure if that makes a difference.
The V1 didn't shave and the V2 was not much better, ask Mike about his! @mpf9ret

I had the V1 and Mike had the V2 they both needed work before they would shave and even then both were not as good as the Blackland L1
Who brought Mike's when he sold it? I can't remember who I sold mine to after I had worked on it.

Paul

Last edited:
Oh boo. I get perfect shaves with vintage, you can't beat perfect, so there's no need for me to spend ten times the price for something that will either give me the same shave or less. And I absolutely love the idea of using vintage, they have soul, and history. And realistically, I can shave with anything, they all work, they're just handles to hold the blade. I use what I like, I get flawless shaves, and I'm happy, and the truth is; You can't beat vintage! Use what makes you happy, dead men's razors are my thing.
As I said...whatever works for you. I love vintage for the history and providence too. I just don’t write off contemporary cutlery.

Back
Top Bottom