SE v DE What's the benefits?

Well! I didn't expect this amount of response. How very interesting. I think I can take a few things away from this.
1. I will refrain from creating a cacky SE from a cacky DE..
2. I will continue to enjoy the 5 vintage and 5 modern DE's I have with the plethora of blades available.
3. If I get bored of using my DE razors I may try 1 or 2 of the SE variety that are out there.

Thanks guys for your honest opinions.

Well! I didn't expect this amount of response. How very interesting. I think I can take a few things away from this.
1. I will refrain from creating a cacky SE from a cacky DE..
2. I will continue to enjoy the 5 vintage and 5 modern DE's I have with the plethora of blades available.
3. If I get bored of using my DE razors I may try 1 or 2 of the SE variety that are out there.

Thanks guys for your honest opinions.
It was a good question you posed and good questions nearly always result in good entertaining posts like that one so thank you! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
As an owner and user of vintage cutlery (1912s , 1914s, 1924s, Injectors, Gillette Techs (Early War, Fat Handle, Flat Bed), Olds, News, New Improved, Super Speeds, Aristocrats and others); together with contemporaries such as Rockwell, Mühle, Yaqi and Feather, I feel happy with DE or SE, vintage or contemporary. It all depends on the inspiration of that day. And good prep, of course. Like anything else, it’s mileage (YMMV).

To claim that vintage (or contemporary, for that matter) can’t be beaten is subjective and shouldn’t be interpreted as the final word. What is best is that which works for you as an individual.
Spot on, wise words.
:)

Paul.

As an owner and user of vintage cutlery (1912s , 1914s, 1924s, Injectors, Gillette Techs (Early War, Fat Handle, Flat Bed), Olds, News, New Improved, Super Speeds, Aristocrats and others); together with contemporaries such as Rockwell, Mühle, Yaqi and Feather, I feel happy with DE or SE, vintage or contemporary. It all depends on the inspiration of that day. And good prep, of course. Like anything else, it’s mileage (YMMV).

To claim that vintage (or contemporary, for that matter) can’t be beaten is subjective and shouldn’t be interpreted as the final word. What is best is that which works for you as an individual.

Well said!

Spot on, wise words.
:)

Paul.

Oh boo. I get perfect shaves with vintage, you can't beat perfect, so there's no need for me to spend ten times the price for something that will either give me the same shave or less. And I absolutely love the idea of using vintage, they have soul, and history. And realistically, I can shave with anything, they all work, they're just handles to hold the blade. I use what I like, I get flawless shaves, and I'm happy, and the truth is; You can't beat vintage! Use what makes you happy, dead men's razors are my thing.

Try, like and dump your DE razors........

Although not quite 100% true, as I did hang on to the classic R89 and the closest razor on the planet the Ikon B1.

And then bought the Rocnel half DE razor because I liked the look of it.
So, what you are really saying is buy the SE, dump your DE's then use that as an excuse to buy new DE's? :ROFLMAO:

Oh boo. I get perfect shaves with vintage, you can't beat perfect, so there's no need for me to spend ten times the price for something that will either give me the same shave or less. And I absolutely love the idea of using vintage, they have soul, and history. And realistically, I can shave with anything, they all work, they're just handles to hold the blade. I use what I like, I get flawless shaves, and I'm happy, and the truth is; You can't beat vintage! Use what makes you happy, dead men's razors are my thing.
Read again........it says

"What is best is that which works for you as an individual"

So what part of that do you disagree with?

Paul.

The DE razors win out for me because there are countless DE blades for a shaver to choose from, you are bound to find the right blade that works well in any given DE razor and is suited to your skin type.

That is one of the issues I have with DE's, the numerous choices of blades.

But then again I can see it from your perspective as you would have to change your user name to @notsomanybladesmonkey

Not quite the same ring

That is one of the issues I have with DE's, the numerous choices of blades.

But then again I can see it from your perspective as you would have to change your user name to @notsomanybladesmonkey

Not quite the same ring
There may come a day when we have no choice of blade to use but fortunately it is not today.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom