Saturday 14th November to Friday 20th November 2020.

IMG_20201119_131930__01.jpg

Carbon CX 316L
Gillette Silver Blue
Simpsons Trafalgar T3
Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina soap and aftershave balm

First impressions of the brush were excellent. I need to try it with a few different soaps but even at this early stage I think it's the best Synthetic brush I've used.
In fairness I've only tried a few Synthetics but enough to know Simpsons are onto a winner here.
BTW: I've never tried Simpsons previous Synthetic brushes.

The handle is very ergonomic and the perfect size and shape for me. The knot has great backbone but isn't springy and splays out nicely without you fighting the knot. It feels soft when painting strokes but gives the impression of some scrub without any harshness when splayed out.

The only negative, and it's a very small one is the packaging. They send it out in their famous red box but without their name printed on it in Gold. This seems a bit mean/tight. Simpsons should be proud to put their name on this product.

As for the rest of the shave, excellent with great results. Saponificio Varesino is a stunning performer. Still my favourite soap base.

Stay safe folks.
Cheers
Rob

Hi Paul,
You ought to go for the OC Plate. Just had Two consecutive Shaves with my V3-OC, really good, and made up for a poor one with an ageing blade.
Hope things are good on both sides of The Pennines- Mike

As good as life and everything else allows thank you. Dad managed a short walk today and that keeps me happy. Hope the same for you

BTW: I've never tried Simpsons previous Synthetic brushes.

I have a few of their 'Premium' fibre brushes. I much prefer the Sovereign as the Premium has way too much backbone. I have a Chubby3 in Soverign and it is just lovely

The only negative, and it's a very small one is the packaging. They send it out in their famous red box but without their name printed on it in Gold. This seems a bit mean/tight. Simpsons should be proud to put their name on this product.

I agree entirely. The Chubby3 with the same fibre came with the printed box

Thursday 19th November

ACtC-3fv3E908umXeEK06QJHRGrk1gXx4Ji7UgVh_Lw15xnMeXQhVqKIDbJpZpcaYwfI5usAW8dofAvYfbcnK5dMOU_4SH8vOomUzTAYRqZUKIIzrYGYvDUYdIr5koqnxOa76A-I8KRwVSN9iqKCgvbj1JPDsg=s800

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with Hampshire Wool Fat Shaving Soap & ABW Scanlon w/Cashmere 24mm
Single pass (2 day) shave with Gillette #88 & Super Shave X (2)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & alum wash
Puig Quorum Aftershave​

Hampshire Wool Fat Shaving Soap, you say? Yeah! Billed as "right up my street" by Shubs @donnie_arko when he spotted it in one of @Palmolive fox 's shaves. I got straight onto it and managed to bag a puck, which arrived yesterday. It smells lovely! It's cedar and patchouli, an absolutely classic combination and not at all over done. There's enough of a scent that you can smell it and you'll continue to smell it as you lather up, but it's not in your face for the rest of the day once you've finished. After washing off, it's gone and you can musk up as appropriate. Just right!

Shaving with it today was super! Lathering up was really straightforward, loading up easily done and an overpaintable lather was built up in no time. Overpaintable, yes, but not quite yogurt thick as you might expect from, say, MWF ... against which comparisons are no doubt scratching at the door to be made. Moreover, the lather had that shiny appearance. In many respects, it put me a lot in mind of Phoenix & Beau. The lather provided just the right glide for the razor and the shave was absolutely enjoyable. Wash off easy enough, too.

Post-shave, does it have the wool fat glow? Yeah, it does ... and like MWF it also has that very neutral post-shave feel, neither overly fed nor frustratingly dry. Just right! Yes, it does, but not to the extent of MWF. I think MWF still has the edge there, but this soap is probably slicker with a lighter glide and I do like the scent a lot. To me, MWF is a 10/10 ... no, 11/10. I'd put this soap right up there as a 9.9.

Second shave with the Super Shave X blade, which I commented previously was a very smooth and forgiving shave and right up there as quite literally one of the best in that respect. Actually, regrowth has felt a little "thick", if that is the right word? Like the regrowth was a bit harsh. I was glad to get it shaved off again. I guess I'll see if the second shave comes through again like that.

Last edited:
Thursday 19th November

ACtC-3fv3E908umXeEK06QJHRGrk1gXx4Ji7UgVh_Lw15xnMeXQhVqKIDbJpZpcaYwfI5usAW8dofAvYfbcnK5dMOU_4SH8vOomUzTAYRqZUKIIzrYGYvDUYdIr5koqnxOa76A-I8KRwVSN9iqKCgvbj1JPDsg=s800

Wash with Ach Brito Glyce
Lather up with Hampshire Wool Fat Shaving Soap & ABW Scanlon w/Cashmere 24mm
Single pass (2 day) shave with Gillette #88 & Super Shave X (2)
Hot rinse, cold rinse & alum wash
Puig Quorum Aftershave​

Hampshire Wool Fat Shaving Soap, you say? Yeah! Billed as "right up my street" by Shubs @donnie_arko when he spotted it in one of @Palmolive fox 's shaves. I got straight onto it and managed to bag a puck, which arrived yesterday. It smells lovely! It's cedar and patchoulia, an absolutely classic combination and not at all over done. Just right! There's enough of a scent that you can smell it and you'll continue to smell it as you lather up, but it's not in your face for the rest of the day once you've finished. After washing off, it's gone and you can musk up as appropriate.

Shaving with it today was super! Lathering up was really easy and straightforward, loading up easily done and an overpaintable lather was built up in no time. Overpaintable, yes, but not quite yogurt thick as you might expect from, say, MWF ... against which comparisons are no doubt scratching at the door to be made. Moreover, the lather had that shiny appearance. In many respects, it put me a lot in mind of Phoenix & Beau. The lather provided just the right glide for the razor and the shave was absolutely enjoyable. Wash off easy enough, too.

Post-shave, does it have theat wool fat glow? Yeah, it does ... it also has that very neutral post-shave feel, neither overly fed nor frustratingly dry. Yes, it does, but not to the extent of MWF. I think MWF still has the edge there, but this soap is probably slicker with a lighter glide and I do like the scent a lot. To me, MWF is a 10/10 ... no, 11/10. I'd put this soap right up there as a 9.9.

Second shave with the Super Shave X blade, which I commented previously was a very smooth and forgiving shave and right up there as quite literally one of the best in that respect. Actually, regrowth has felt a little "thick", if that is the right word? Like the regrowth was a bit harsh. I was glad to get it shaved off again. I guess I'll see if the second shave comes through again like that.
I have tried to source the soap with no luck.....any hints?

I have a few of their 'Premium' fibre brushes. I much prefer the Sovereign as the Premium has way too much backbone. I have a Chubby3 in Soverign and it is just lovely

I agree entirely. The Chubby3 with the same fibre came with the printed box

I did have a look on the Simpsons site for the Chubby 3 but couldn't find it? May I ask where you bought yours from?

I did have a look on the Simpsons site for the Chubby 3 but couldn't find it? May I ask where you bought yours from?
Hi Rob
The brush was listed as one of their special editions. They would be foolish not to replace them.. A little more expensive than the Trafalgar.....but you get the Labelled Simpsons Box;) Contact them and encourage them to 'produce the goods'

Hi Rob
The brush was listed as one of their special editions. They would be foolish not to replace them.. A little more expensive than the Trafalgar.....but you get the Labelled Simpsons Box;) Contact them and encourage them to 'produce the goods'

Thanks for the info. I've just sent a message on Facebook so hopefully I'll hear something soon. How much are they?

Today's shave

Rex Envoy
Wilkinson Sword Blade
Cella shaving soap
ES Big Jock synthetic brush
Blue Stratos Aftershave splash

Result BSS WTG

First outing with the Envoy it gave a good account of its self, 5 days beard gone. I noticed that the bar is a lot thicker than my Rex giving more comfortable shave, although I did recive a couple of weepers on my jawline, I'll chalk up to me being cocky with the new toy :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom