S.O.T.D. Saturday 2nd January to Friday 8th January 2016

Bulldog Face Wash
Xpec Shaving Cream (Unscented)
Semogue Owner's Club (Cherry) Pure Bristle
Face Lathered
Durham Artist Club (Converted Durham Duplex)
Personna (4)
Two Pass - WTG & ATG

IMG_2720.JPG

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave
Ted Lapidus Pour Homme EDT
Surrati Sultan Silver Attar (Wrists)
I Xpec'ted better ...

After trying different brushes and three returns to the tub to try to get something that might be described as a lather, I pressed on regardless. With a slack covering, rapidly disappearing, it's testament to how good the Durham Duplex shave is that I'm not spitting poison about this shave. I had to go back to the tub for a second pass and it was no better.

Betchet asked recently what makes a bad shave ... and it's the soap, dummy. Take a Porsche, put crap tyres on it and it'll perform like crap. Rubber on the road, lather on the face.

This cream just wouldn't lather, not in a bowl nor on the face. Actually, I tell a fib there as I could get a lather, but it was so thin and so sloppy it just wasn't worth using. The best I could achieve was a thin smear on a wet face ... any more water and it just turned to slop.

Post-shave is no better either, like I'd had balm on my face for 15 minutes, something I'd liken to visiting hours in hell!

What a waste! You'll find it in BST ...

Last edited:
Bulldog Face Wash
Xpec Shaving Cream (Unscented)
Semogue Owner's Club (Cherry) Pure Bristle
Face Lathered
Durham Artist Club (Converted Durham Duplex)
Personna (4)
Two Pass - WTG & ATG

IMG_2720.JPG

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave
Ted Lapidus Pour Homme EDT
Surrati Sultan Silver Attar (Wrists)
I Xpec'ted better ...

After trying different brushes and three returns to the tub to try to get something that might be described as a lather, I pressed on regardless. With a slack covering, rapidly disappearing, it's testament to how good the Durham Duplex shave is that I'm not spitting poison about this shave. I had to go back to the tub for a second pass and it was no better.

Betchet asked recently what makes a bad shave ... and it's the soap, dummy. Take a Porsche, put crap tyres on it and it'll perform like crap. Rubber on the road, lather on the face.

This cream just wouldn't lather, not in a bowl nor on the face. Actually, I tell a fib there as I could get a lather, but it was so thin and so sloppy it just wasn't worth using. The best I could achieve was a thin smear on a wet face ... any more water and it just turned to slop.

Post-shave is no better either, like I'd had balm on my face for 15 minutes, something I'd liken to visiting hours in hell!

What a waste! You'll find it in BST ...

I've never seen one of those before, Paul. It looks like an OC straight - what is it?

I've never seen one of those before, Paul. It looks like an OC straight - what is it?

That, my friend, is a Durham Duplex razor which broke. I fitted it hastily to a bamboo stick and in reference to the FEATHER Artist Club called it a Durham Artist Club. They take blades which today have been repurposed for carpet cutting knives; back in the day they were a very successful shaving razor company. Durham Duplex, if you want to read about them.

That, my friend, is a Durham Duplex razor which broke. I fitted it hastily to a bamboo stick and in reference to the FEATHER Artist Club called it a Durham Artist Club. They take blades which today have been repurposed for carpet cutting knives; back in the day they were a very successful shaving razor company. Durham Duplex, if you want to read about them.

Interesting stuff, thanks. Do you use it like a shavette, and would you say the comb makes it more "friendly"?

Yes. Or, rather like a disposable straight ... which has two sides. The comb stops you doing something silly ... and painful!

Just when I thought I'd seen everything...

What a great idea and one for my watch-list. When I'm brave enough to try a straight (I'm looking way ahead here), I think I'll try one of those first.

So you don't recommend the 'pathology' blades anymore? ;)

I would, but unless you're in the medical profession Personna will not sell them to you. I still have a good stash. Tonight's shave was with a regular Dog Dresser blade.

What a great idea and one for my watch-list. When I'm brave enough to try a straight (I'm looking way ahead here), I think I'll try one of those first.

Also look out for Weck. They also use blades still made by Personna. Connaught sell them now.

When you're ready, drop me a message. My Durham Duplex hasn't seen action in ages. I'm still considering it, but if I haven't used it again by the time you are ready, I might be willing to let go. With a a couple of blades.

I would, but unless you're in the medical profession Personna will not sell them to you. I still have a good stash. Tonight's shave was with a regular Dog Dresser blade.
Surely, there must be someone here in the medical profession. I'd buy a couple of thousand and drip feed them to enthusiasts at inflated prices. :D

Edit: and I would keep my Durham Duplex... I'm not a dog in need of dressing...

You know where we are if you change your mind ... but do look into the Weck as well. If you're going to shave with a straight, do so ... what you shouldn't do is try out a shavette that takes a DE blade split in two as they are hateful things which will hurt you and put you off the idea for good. Weck came into being at the beginning of the twentieth century, presenting a disposable version of the straight. It's like a replaceable blade frameback, but easier.

You know where we are if you change your mind ... but do look into the Weck as well. If you're going to shave with a straight, do so ... what you shouldn't do is try out a shavette that takes a DE blade split in two as they are hateful things which will hurt you and put you off the idea for good. Weck came into being at the beginning of the twentieth century, presenting a disposable version of the straight. It's like a replaceable blade frameback, but easier.

Thanks Paul. I can only see one Weck on "the bay" from a UK seller, and that's a "medical razor" which looks more like a "T" razor. There are a few UK based Durham Duplexes though, including a couple that come with their plastic box for £10 each.

Hmmm. That's just a bit tempting. :D

Back
Top Bottom