S.O.T.D. Saturday 2nd January to Friday 8th January 2016

You know where we are if you change your mind ... but do look into the Weck as well. If you're going to shave with a straight, do so ... what you shouldn't do is try out a shavette that takes a DE blade split in two as they are hateful things which will hurt you and put you off the idea for good. Weck came into being at the beginning of the twentieth century, presenting a disposable version of the straight. It's like a replaceable blade frameback, but easier.
+1 Do not... DO NOT use a half blade shavette. Unless you are suicidal.

Thanks Paul. I can only see one Weck on "the bay" from a UK seller, and that's a "medical razor" which looks more like a "T" razor. There are a few UK based Durham Duplexes though, including a couple that come with their plastic box for £10 each.

Hmmm. That's just a bit tempting. :D

That's me :D

That one takes a specific blade no longer available. It's exactly half the size of the blades you can readily get today. Expect to pay £15-£30 plus P&P for a Weck. I don't have any others for sale. If you want a cheap version, with blades that are not actually bad at all ... in fact, quite pleasant, check out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252206962865

I have one of those. You can put the thicker Personna type blades in if it's eased open a little. I like mine and use it regularly, with those blades; Cloud, which are FEATHER rebranded. It's like a Weck-light.

That's me :D

That one takes a specific blade no longer available. It's exactly half the size of the blades you can readily get today. Expect to pay £15-£30 plus P&P for a Weck. I don't have any others for sale. If you want a cheap version, with blades that are not actually bad at all ... in fact, quite pleasant, check out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252206962865

I have one of those. You can put the thicker Personna type blades in if it's eased open a little. I like mine and use it regularly, with those blades; Cloud, which are FEATHER rebranded. It's like a Weck-light.

I don't believe it, haha, the Weck and the Durham's are all you! :D

I do prefer the thought of the vintage Durhams over those cheap Chinese razors. Would you recommend I buy one of those you have up for sale, such as the UK c1920 or US c1925 model? Would they be up to the task?

Haha! Yeah, I bought them all! There are no others out there because they're all mine :D

The ones I have for sale are as cheap as you'll ever find them ... the thing is, the blades are quite thick and can take some getting used to. If you were, say, a seasoned single edge shaver, I'd say "yes, go for it". If you're looking for an introduction to straight edge shaving, I'd say no ... and I'd re-iterate that Weck was the way to go, that cheapo Chinese razor being a very cost-effective introduction ... without being the horrible experience that a shavette would give you.

If you're too bashful to accept Andreas' offer of the razor, you can take one of my "for sale" Durham Duplex razors on a sale or return basis. Just tell me which one, I'll suspend the eBay sale, pop a couple of blades in and post it on to you. You try it, you like it, you keep it and pay me via Paypal. Hate it, send it back. The '20s boxed models are exactly the same as the later French goofy coloured examples, which are rarer ... oddly. Your choice.

PM me.

Haha! Yeah, I bought them all! There are no others out there because they're all mine :D

The ones I have for sale are as cheap as you'll ever find them ... the thing is, the blades are quite thick and can take some getting used to. If you were, say, a seasoned single edge shaver, I'd say "yes, go for it". If you're looking for an introduction to straight edge shaving, I'd say no ... and I'd re-iterate that Weck was the way to go, that cheapo Chinese razor being a very cost-effective introduction ... without being the horrible experience that a shavette would give you.

If you're too bashful to accept Andreas' offer of the razor, you can take one of my "for sale" Durham Duplex razors on a sale or return basis. Just tell me which one, I'll suspend the eBay sale, pop a couple of blades in and post it on to you. You try it, you like it, you keep it and pay me via Paypal. Hate it, send it back. The '20s boxed models are exactly the same as the later French goofy coloured examples, which are rarer ... oddly. Your choice.

PM me.

Deal!

Cheers Paul, you're a gent.

I have a few fantastic SE's on the way so will have some thick blade experience before I dive in but regardless, in for a penny, in for a pound. :)

Can I take the GB c1920 one please?

This is going to be an interesting learning curve! :D

Very busy week. I post my SOTD all together. I will post my today SOTD in a couple of hours.
39a340b4a3d422964bc44ce766cdfa74.jpg

a73b5a3a5a3c1d6f928db668379073da.jpg

97cdd653d600a0232f7a15797a4de1bc.jpg

8ff05dd7a840b8dabe86d98f67baf9de.jpg

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla Aftershave
Ted Lapidus Pour Homme EDT
Surrati Sultan Silver Attar (Wrists)
I Xpec'ted better ...

After trying different brushes and three returns to the tub to try to get something that might be described as a lather, I pressed on regardless. With a slack covering, rapidly disappearing, it's testament to how good the Durham Duplex shave is that I'm not spitting poison about this shave. I had to go back to the tub for a second pass and it was no better.

Betchet asked recently what makes a bad shave ... and it's the soap, dummy. Take a Porsche, put crap tyres on it and it'll perform like crap. Rubber on the road, lather on the face.

This cream just wouldn't lather, not in a bowl nor on the face. Actually, I tell a fib there as I could get a lather, but it was so thin and so sloppy it just wasn't worth using. The best I could achieve was a thin smear on a wet face ... any more water and it just turned to slop.

Post-shave is no better either, like I'd had balm on my face for 15 minutes, something I'd liken to visiting hours in hell!

What a waste! You'll find it in BST ...

Blasphemy! You wicked, wicked man! To say such things!

I Xpec you were being a tight-arse and not loading sufficient product. Even the new formulation lathers like a monster and is at the very pinnacle of shaving creams.

Maybe you forgot to inflate those expensive tyres?

Friday, Jan 8th. Evening.

sotd_8_1_16.jpg

Scuttle: Steve Woodhead Ceramics, large Suribachi.
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap, Citrus Zinger (Olive Oil recipe).
Brush: Razorock 24mm Plissoft.
Razor: 1921 Gillette New Standard (New Improved).
Blade: Derby Extra (2).
Post: Boots witch hazel & tea tree, Boots Freshwood balm, Nivea Creme.

Interesting suribachi scuttle, Scratch. How do you like it? Is that a custom job from Steve Woodhead?

Thanks Mike. It works really well and I like it a lot. The suribachi grooves seem to help and it's very satisfying to use. My only criticism is that I sometimes spill water from the spout by accident, but I'm still getting used to it and it's already happening less often after only a couple of uses.

It's not a custom piece, you can find them on his website (link below). Mine is the "large" "blue" Suribachi scuttle and if you keep an eye on his stock, he often has "seconds" which are considerably cheaper (mine has small spots of blue glaze in the bowl). :)

http://stevewoodheadceramics.co.uk/...aving-mug-shaving-bowl/suribachi-scuttle.html

Edit: here is a link to his clearance/seconds section.

http://stevewoodheadceramics.co.uk/...tle-shaving-mug-shaving-bowl/seconds.html?p=1

SMN Prep
Vintage Plisson 12 HMW
Wolfman WR1 OC Brass
London Bridge (2)
Old Spice Shaving Soap from @Al H
Thayers Witch Hazel
Hydrolast

BBS but two weepers due my wife distraction!

That Soap for me is solid performer!@ Thank you Al. You know how hard for me is get decent soap!

Wolfman allow me to stop looking like vagabond and shave every 48h. Thats really good.

Only thing I would love shorter handle like my late Colibri 77 (Man I do regret sending it to a Friend)

Now I have appetite fore Old Spice Shaving Mug!

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. It works really well and I like it a lot. The suribachi grooves seem to help and it's very satisfying to use. My only criticism is that I sometimes spill water from the spout by accident, but I'm still getting used to it and it's already happening less often after only a couple of uses.

It's not a custom piece, you can find them on his website (link below). Mine is the "large" "blue" Suribachi scuttle and if you keep an eye on his stock, he often has "seconds" which are considerably cheaper (mine has small spots of blue glaze in the bowl). :)

Cheers. I have his Tall Large Scuttle and to be honest it's a bit too tall as the brush can clank against the sides; so next time I'd go for the Tall Scuttle. I always pour out a little water before using it to stop spillage. I reckon he should have a circular hole spout so a cork can be plugged in like other scuttle makers do. I also keep the scuttle on the sink top so it doesn't move. It's too heavy to hold anyway for any period of time.
Enjoy it.

Just when I thought I'd seen everything...

What a great idea and one for my watch-list. When I'm brave enough to try a straight (I'm looking way ahead here), I think I'll try one of those first.
Get yourself to the pass around thread - I'm lending out a disposable edge straight - why not have a go ;)

Get yourself to the pass around thread - I'm lending out a disposable edge straight - why not have a go ;)

That's good to know, thanks Lee, but I have a Durham Duplex on it's way.

I'm reluctant to get involved with the pass-arounds because I'd hate to return/pass-on something without cleaning it properly first. I don't have any Barbicide/ultrasonic cleaner or what-have-you. Something I'll have to rectify soon, I think.

Back
Top Bottom