S.O.T.D. Saturday 28th November to Friday 4th December 2015

Wed 2nd Dec.
Vulfix 404 Mixed
Tabac Stick
Gem Heavy Flat Top
Gem S/S [ 1 ]
Alum Rub / Floid A/S

A marked contrast to yesterday, a very smooth easy Shave, and pretty close too without trying too hard.

IMG_0024.jpg

Greetings

Wednesday 2nd December 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gem OCMM
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Culmark Vintage
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: Terre D'Hermes

Regards
Dick.

P1000523.JPG

Hot Shower
LS badger
TOBS Gentleman's Shave Cream
Gillette Rubie (1)
Eclipse Red Ring
Denim Black AS

Well whoever said these Eclipse Red Rings were mild,were,well,sort of telling the truth!.What they failed to mention,was this thing has 3 (or 4) adjustments,so tightened right down it is really mild,but knock it back a mark or 3 :)D) and this thing becomes a 4-5 day stubble eliminating monster!.
Because this razor has its name embossed in the handle,it is easy to tell what side of the blade you have used,I only used 1 side of the Gillette Rubie,I will use the other side for my next shave!.
1st pass,my usual mix of WTG,XTG,on the highest possible setting before the head starts showing any movement,wiped out 4-5 days growth,without any issues,and,as an extra treat,had loads of audio feedback!,it eliminated that growth like a Fatip Piccolo!,but in an extremely mild way!....Maybe it has something to do with the head design,but it cuts the growth down like an OC,but with the smoothness of a safety bar,and also has one of the most natural angles of any (DE) razor I have ever shaved with....All good for pass 1,no irritation,no weepers.
2nd pass,turned it down exactly 1 mark,and did a mix of XTG,and ATG,my usual OC style,and still loads of audio feedback,and still smooth,and irritation free,until I hit a little spot on my adams apple,which it beheaded with pleasure!,nothing to worry about,no more than a weeper!.
3rd pass,took the razor down another 2 notches this time,to maximum mildness,all ATG,and buffing from here on in.Now my closest shaves are OC 'buffing' shaves,I can get my problem areas down to BBS using this technique,going in a diagonal motion,but usually it only works with OC's as the head holds a load of lather,which,if the handle angle is altered on the backwards stroke,it re lathers the face,ready for another cutting pass,but the Eclipse was also happy to oblige!,same OC technique,worked a charm.Only thing,the audio feedback had gone,as the blade was tight to the teeth.
Overall,a fantastic BBS,on par with much more aggressive razors,a shave result I have only ever hit with OC's.It even shaves in the same style as an OC!.I was so confident in this razor,I even went ATG on my upper lip,under nose area,something I have never done....It got the growth down so close on the XTG pass,I could actually get away with an ATG on that area!.
After all that,a cold water splash,pat dry with a towel,and a healthy dosage of Denim Black,courtesy of Poundland....

All I can say is,why the hell isn't this design being made today?,after 1 shave,I am contemplating on selling my hoard as I love this razor!.

SOTD - Wednesday
Soap: Soap Commander "Commitment"
Brush: Shavemac 26mm 2-band silvertip
Razor: Feather WS-D1S
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock black (2)
No pre-shave this morning (other than hot shower), and face-lathered the SC soap. Very nice slick lather and received an easy 3-pass BBS. This SC sample is nearly gone, maybe 1-2 more shaves tops. Sad to see it go but it was fun while it lasted.
2jRhBEC.jpg

IMG_2291_Fotor.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Dr Selby Luxury Shaving Cream
Mohawk 5-341 w/Purtech
Face Lathered
GEM 1912 'Supreme' Traveller (Celluloid Case)
GEM Stainless (7)
One Pass - WTG (Slide)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Aramis Aftershave
Azzarro Pour Homme EDT
Arabian Oud Kalemat CPO (Wrists)

Godrej Soap
Whipped Dog Synthetic
Weber PH on Custom Bulldog
Gillette Swede [1]
Proraso Green AS

The soap is really nice, good scent, excellent lather nice and slippy. The Swede at first pass was a little tuggy I thought... But with 4 days growth possibly to be expected. This is one of the SMOOTHEST blades I've tried... No fear of nick/weepers, absolutely ZERO AS sting.
I think I'm going to enjoy these blades...

Back
Top Bottom