bd09a3625ab8f9881de54dd56df0fbd6.jpg

SOTD - Thurs
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: B&M Latha "Oceana"
Brush: Simpson Duke-3 Manchurian
Razor: OneBlade
Blade: Treet Super (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Village Barber balm
Love, LOVE this B&M Latha soap. Lathers quickly and builds a yogurty/glossy/slick lather easily.
Not sure about this brush though. First time with a D3 (of any type) but I didn't enjoy the knot. I'll have to see how it breaks in before passing judgement but it's not off to a good start.
This Treet blade was weird. First two passes were smooth and sharp, but during the 3rd pass I felt the edge go, so I looked down at the razor and the blade was turning dark. I rinsed it thoroughly and pulled the blade out of the razor and it was RUSTING! I knew carbon-steel blades were prone to rusting if left damp but I'd never heard of one rusting IN THE MIDDLE OF A SHAVE before. The cutting edge was starting to crumble in two spots it was rusting so quickly.
Tossed the blade after only one shave. Bummer, it started off so well.

21st January 2016

Bulldog Face Wash
Le Père Lucien Cyprès Boisé Shaving Soap
Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Face Lathered
Star 1912 & GEM Stainless (4)
Single Pass - WTG (Slide)

IMG_2792_Fotor.jpg

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Novaya Zarya Russian Forest Cologne
Jacques Bogart One Man Show EDT
Pinaud Clubman Hair Tonic​

I do love a shave with Le Père Lucien soap and Cyprès Boisé certainly impressed! As per their usual formula, the soap is simple and clean. The scent, quite lovely and described as lemon, fresh, green & woody ... a kind of fougère, and it is.

I'm really enjoying running through my various cased 1912s at the moment and this one, a good example of a mid-1930s British Made gave a great shave. They all do, but there is something quite special about the razors made in that era and the ones made right at the end of the 1940s and into the 1950s.

Finishing off with a splash of Novaya Zarya Russian Forest was inspiring, the faintness of scent just left from the soap bolstered and grounded by the Cologne. Wonderful!

Thursday, 21st January.

sotd21116.jpg

Scuttle: Steve Woodhead Ceramics, large Suribachi.
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap, Moroccan Sands (original recipe soft soap). (SAW)
Brush: Razorock 24mm Plissoft.
Razor: Gillette English Service Set Tech head, Windrose handle.
Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated.
Post: Boots witch hazel & tea tree, Nivea sensitive balm, Nivea Crème.

Two firsts for me in this shave: the blade and the razor.
Despite the cobbled-together nature of the razor (I have the original handle on one side), I found it worked extremely well. I like the heavier feel and it felt well-balanced, comfortable, safe and efficient. The blade was also surprisingly comfortable and efficient (comparable to my "favourite" blade, the 7 O'clock super stainless) and considering the Voskhod's are considerably cheaper, I think I just found my new go-to daily DE blade.

An extremely enjoyable shave and I wish I could start it all over again. :)

Whipped Dog Silvertip 24 × 48
Catie's 95 Liquid Labels
Guillette Sensor 3
Williams Aqua Velva
BullDog Balm

First time I use a Catie's. Amazing Soap!

d3521a838f6cc3a31411ae7b683e6cf5.jpg

Have a great day

Shower
NSS Signature I&S
RazorRock Plissoft
OneBlade
Feather [2]
Proraso Green AS
Arran Aromatics Bay Citrus EDT

23897452374_8fac887e90_c.jpg

2nd shave with the OneBlade, MUCH MUCH better. Ignoring the springy thing, gives far better results, in fact this is one the smoothest, closest shaves I've ever had! Smooth as a very smooth thing indeed!
More musings in the lending thread:
Pass Around - One Blade SE Razor

SOTD - Friday
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: Vintage Ralph Lauren "Safari"
Brush: Simpson Duke-3 Manchurian
Razor: OneBlade
Blade: GEM PTFE Stainless (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Village Barber balm & Ralph Lauren "Safari" EdT
Wow, what a shave! This RL Safari is grand stuff! First time with a Gem PTFE coated blade and wow is it smooth!
Zero cuts/weepers/irritation and no whiskers left for a 3-pass BBS. My blade of choice in this razor now if it has the longevity.

Today I had no time for a straight razor so a shave with a DE:

· Shavemac LE TSR 2-band

· Le Pere Lucien Savon edition limité Tav Ceti

· Fatip Grande with a Polsilver S.I.

· Osaga Rub

· Prep ASB

Have a nice weekend you all! :)

sotd 22-1-16.jpg

Back
Top Bottom