S.O.T.D Sat 29th Dec - Fri 4th Jan

dodgy said:
John said:
Today's shave

GEM Micromatic
I love these Yankee words "Micromatic" on my Gibson guitar I've got a "tuneOmatic"bridge, I wonder if in the 50s a Lady of the night was called a "shagomatic"?

From the Chicago father/son pitchmen team, we have the Popeil Veg-O- Matic, the start of em all. I remember the commercials from when I was a kid(kinda like being at a carnival sideshow demo thingy). Probably the first infomercial. Ron Popeil (the son) is still seen on TV even now.

This commercial I'm including is pretty odd. Instead of that Midwest accent the guys have, there's something else going on instead. The announcer's got a foreign sounding accent.....Dutch maybe?

Whatever it is, it's pretty damn funny to hear how things are mangled verbally. Words like toMAHto.....that kills me.

Heh, one phrase from the old commercials that still sticks in my mind was " It slices, it dices, it makes crinkle cuts, it makes french fries.....isn't it amazing!!!" Yep, that's how the pitch went for the Veg-O-Matic.

Here you go John:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYLat1Y-BxQ
Thanks Martin I've always wondered whare the O-matic wording sprang from.
That guy in the advert is working his way up to be a movie star ( I should think he's probably a Y list celeb by now)I think the first ever time I stumbled across the O-matic was when I was 16 years old in a guitar mag. A Gibson advert was making good the vintage stats of a 1959 Les Paul,I think it was a reissue of that year,something along the lines of 1959 burst=£150,000 or the reissue £8,000 your choice type thing.
The tuneOmatic bridge sounds out of this world to a kid,as I'm sure the veg-O-matic was to you,funny how as an adult we tend to rember things from our childhood like that,with fondness.

Prep: Real Shaving Company face scrub
Cream: Body Shop maca root
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chartsworth Ebony synthetic bristle
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome
Blade: Shark platinum

A lovely shave. I dusted down a tube of Body Shop maca root that I bought around a year ago or longer. And the cream gave a very smooth shave.

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Floïd Sandolor Pre Shave Gel
BRUSH: 26 mm Thäter LE, 2-band (SRP 2011) Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Acqua Di Parma Collezione Shaving Cream
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 8/8" J.A. Henckels Friodur, Square Point, Stainless steel
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Alt-Innsbruck EDC
COLOGNE: Aqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa
RESULT: Great shave, BBS!

SODT_FRIODUR_B-4_zpsd1efb8c0.jpg

Happy New Year,
Béla​

Good morning

Hot Shower
Proraso preshave
New Forest finest
La Toja
Feather AC SS
Blade Pro
Avene After Shave Fluid
TOBS as sandalwood

Bbs. Excellent start of the day.

fonthunter said:
Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Floïd Sandolor Pre Shave Gel
BRUSH: 26 mm Thäter LE, 2-band (SRP 2011) Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: Acqua Di Parma Collezione Shaving Cream
SCUTTLE / BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 8/8" J.A. Henckels Friodur, Square Point, Stainless steel
STROP: Kanayama Cordovan #60000
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: Alt-Innsbruck EDC
COLOGNE: Aqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa
RESULT: Great shave, BBS!

SODT_FRIODUR_B-4_zpsd1efb8c0.jpg

Happy New Year,
Béla​

Great looking razor Bela, and equally good looking SOTD.

Jamie

MWF review.

Prep: Shower
Soap: Mitchelle's Wool Fat
Razor: Merkur Progress (mark 2.5)
Blade: 7 o'clock Green (2nd/3rd use, can't remember)
Brush: New Forest 2213
Aftershave: Alum block, Tabac ASB

With all the discussion about MWF I thought I'd better try it out. Found a pretty cheap price of £13.50 from safetyrazors.co.uk for the dish+soap. Bought on Boxing Day and arrived on 28th, so full marks for service.

Soaked the dish+soap in the sink while I took a shower. Loaded the brush with the dish upside-down for about a minute and face lathered. NF 2213 brush up to the job as always; continuing its great performance. Needed to dip tips of the brush into water a little as lather was a little dry, but after this mountains of lather was produced; plenty for 3 passes.

Scent is very subtle, just a kind of old-fashioned clean smell. Didn't remind me of granny's knickers, as has been commented on the forums, so that didn't bother me.
I was a bit concerned about the lanolin content reacting with my skin as has been mentioned here and there but must say that it worked great for me. Skin feels really conditioned and flexible (if you know what I mean).

Very easy shave feeling well protected by lather and can report that it lead to one of my best shaves yet.
So a big thumbs-up to MWF.

Greetings

Sunday 30th January 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM OCMM
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Soap: Speick grated into a container
Aftershave: Wilkinson Sword Sensitive Balm

Silky smooth!

Regards
Dick

Prep L'Occitane Cedarwood Soap
Razor Wade & Butcher late 1840s 7/8
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush semogue SOC Special
Mitchell's Woolfat
Alum & Witch Hazel
Una Brennan Neroli Moisturiser
Penhaligon's Castile Edt

Second time this week for the old Wade & Butcher, she delivered a lovely BBS two pass shave.

fotoflexer_photo-16.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2
Razor: Friodur + GEM Junior (for head)
Soap: Dr Harris Almond + Proraso
AS: Mennen S B
Edt: Penhaligon's English Fern
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

0021024x751.jpg

Proraso Pre/Post (Original formula)
Dubl Duck special No.1
Morris & Forndran stubby 2XL
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream
Witch Hazel
Floris JF

Always an occasion when that heavy glass jar comes off the shelf. Its not the best but its definitely the heaviest!

Geo F. Trumper's Limes shaving cream
Edwin Jagger tortoiseshell boar
Fatboy (gold plated) on 6, 3 with Chinese 1875 blade (second shave)
Floid Genuine a/s

Is there menthol in the Floid becuase my face feels cooled now?! The blade was super smooth in the Fatboy but wasn't going to get me better than a DFS. Didn't push it so the alcohol in the Floid didn't sting. Nice shave and near BBS in some places, oddly.

Back into lime shaving cream (and soap). Have been off it for a while but wanting to finish the pot so I can put a hard soap puck in there seems to have reignited my interest in it.

This morning:

Razor: Le Grelot 5/8", in UKRob rosewood scales
Brush: Neep #1213 Aztec in malachite (29mm extra silvertip)
Soap: Prof Blighty's Peppermint

Still on the reduced rotation. Several days' growth dealt with well, and a very nice overall shave.

34pgx3l.jpg

MWF soap stick + Semogue 1335 + Gillette Super Adjustable with Croma #1 + Irisch Moos splash with Herbíssimo balm

A quick and pleasant shave with my favourite home made stick (the only one in fact, hehe). Only two nicks easily fixed aplying some alum stone.

Cheers!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Savile Row badger
1959 Fatboy/Feather
RL Safari SS
Malizia vetyver AS
Malizia 'Vetyver' EdT

Gotta be over two years since using this what was for a long time my go to razor. This one went in the arsenal when I found the Executive.

Anyway, it called to me this morning and jeeez, what a great shave. Just like I remember....no feeling of that sharp blade on my face and shaving pretty much by sound.

For something as goofy as shaving goes, this morning's whisker wacking went pretty damn well.

BBS results,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom