Phoenix&Beau: My vegan & tallow shaving soaps [testers required]

@Nishy absolutely. In fact once we've wrapped the testing on the tallow my next process will be to ask the community what they'd like the soap to be contained within and also how strong folk like their scents.

@Electrif did you make a note of how much menthol glycerin you added, please? N.b a bone jarringly cold mentholated version is on my list of potentials.

@Uncle Bertie ah I'm so glad you got it to your liking and thank you for the very kind comment about joining the UK artisanal scene. High praise indeed. :)
Excellent

did you make a note of how much menthol glycerin you added, please? N.b a bone jarringly cold mentholated version is on my list of potentials.

Thereby hangs a problem, as I never really measured how much menthol I used to make the menthol glycerin. I used the youtube video MadScientist .OfWetShaving. as a making guide. I just added drops of it till I got the menthol hit I wanted.

I kicked off with the tallow version today, having been too hungover to shave yesterday, it was tested with a good spiky growth.

My initial impressions were that the soap had an almost croap like texture and the smell was inoffensive and neutral. I followed my usual face lathering routine and initially it struggled to lather properly, but once it was up and running a very good performer indeed. Glide and post shave were absolutely top notch.

Tomorrow I will vary the mix a little and see if I can improve the lathering

OK, as promised I mixed things up a bit....

Left the soap to soak for a little this time and added more water than previously and also used a slightly less dense brush to get more air into the lather. Significantly easier to lather this time.

Brilliant stuff and I'm glad it performed in the way you've described. Please let me know how you find the comparison with the Wickham. Also, what scents do you enjoy, please?
Another shave with the sample scheduled for tonight. I might even give it a run out with my R41.

My favourite scent so far is probably Trumpers GFT. I also really like Eucris. I've not tried any yet but a rose and wood combined scent would be nice as maybe a citrus and wood. I think a nice woody scent would be a good start. Sorry I haven't tried much or know scents very well to offer more.

I'm not sure how it would work practically, but some way of sampling or testing the scent prior to purchase would be a novel idea. That way you don't end up with something you don't like after reading the description and thinking it smells nice.

Comfort Lather Catcher..:p
DSC_0186_zpswpslh1ef.jpg

Another shot..:p
DSC_0185_zpsfmcx0ziv.jpg

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Comfort Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 5
Semogue Boar Brush
Tallow Test Soap Sample
444 Post Shave Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Splash (From Germany)

I had an outing with my Comfort Lather Cather this Morning & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade & the Tallow Test Soap...The Comfort Lather Catcher is quite an Aggressive Razor and here again I am blown away by the performance of the Tallow Test Soap...Anybody that gets lathering issues with this stuff should be sitting at the breakfast table wearing a crash helmet...A very smooth and irritation free shave...Excellent Glide, Cushion & Slickness...What more can I say Kerry...Well done...Top Notch..o_O

Lather...10/10
Slickness..10/10
Glide..10/10
Cushion 9/10
Scent...Nice Lard Scent..:D
Post shave...10/10...Doesn't get any better..Simply Awsome

Billy

Last edited:
DSC_0186_zpswpslh1ef.jpg

DSC_0185_zpsfmcx0ziv.jpg

Comfort Lather Catcher
Semogue Boar Brush
Tallow Test Soap Sample
444 Post Shave Gel

I had an outing with my Comfort Lather Cather this Morning & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade & the Tallow Test Soap...The Comfort Lather Catcher is quite an Aggressive Razor and here again I am blown away by the performance of the Tallow Test Soap...Anybody that gets lathering issues with this stuff should be sitting at the breakfast table wearing a crash helmet...A very smooth and irritation free shave...Excellent Glide, Cushion & Slickness...What more can I say Kerry...Well done...Top Notch..o_O

Lather...10/10
Slickness..10/10
Glide..10/10
Cushion 9/10
Post shave...10/10...Doesn't get any better..Simple Awsome

Billy
Wow, thanks @Fergiebilly & that's a beautiful piece of hardware.

DSC_0186_zpswpslh1ef.jpg

DSC_0185_zpsfmcx0ziv.jpg

Comfort Lather Catcher
Semogue Boar Brush
Tallow Test Soap Sample
444 Post Shave Gel

Lather...10/10
Slickness..10/10
Glide..10/10
Cushion 9/10
Post shave...10/10...Doesn't get any better..Simple Awsome

Billy
You forgot:
Razor....11/10

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg Hot shower, Nivea for men original shower wash.
Merkur 37C
Personna Blue (2)
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm Synthetic.

Tallow unscented soap sample.

I pressed the soap into a big coffe cup/bowl and did a quick test lather on my hand to see how the soap performed and it was very good.

I then pressed some of the soap into my TSR bowl and lathered up. Very easy to lather and it did take a good amount of water which I added a few drops at a time to get the lather to just how I like it.

3 pass shave. Excellent cushion and glide and really good performance from the soap. Didn't dry out in the brush between passes and it felt great on my face. A couple of little nicks but nothing to do with the soap, I'm still learning my technique with the 37C slant! Post feel was really good with my face feeling as though it already had some kind of a balm applied. Really soft.

All in all I have to say a great soap. I'm in total agreement with the rest of the comments from most people who have tried the soaps. Kerry, you're definetly on to a winner here. I look forward to using it again and even more so, look forward to trying it out when you decide on some scents. Brilliant.

Short video to follow....

Last edited:
View attachment 15858 View attachment 15859View attachment 15860 View attachment 15861 Hot shower, Nivea for men original shower wash.
Merkur 37C
Personna Blue (2)
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm Synthetic.

Tallow unscented soap sample.

I pressed the soap into a big coffe cup/bowl and did a quick test lather on my hand to see how the soap performed and it was very good.

I then pressed some of the soap into my TSR bowl and lathered up. Very easy to lather and it did take a good amount of water which I added a few drops at a time to get the lather to just how I like it.

3 pass shave. Excellent cushion and glide and really good performance from the soap. Didn't dry out in the brush between passes and it felt great on my face. A couple of little nicks but nothing to do with the soap, I'm still learning my technique with the 37C slant! Post feel was really good with my face feeling as though it already had some kind of a balm applied. Really soft.

All in all I have to say a great soap. I'm in total agreement with the rest of the comments from most people who have tried the soaps. Kerry, you're definetly on to a winner here. I look forward to using it again and even more so, look forward to trying it out when you decide on some scents. Brilliant.

Short video to follow....
Magic, thanks for this @Kevy and a video would be great to see :):cool:

Kerry.

@Kevy thanks so much for taking the time to video, edit and post that review. Brilliant work. I've really enjoyed the process of developing both formulas with TSR's feedback, thoughts, enthusiasm and collective wisdom. Whilst the Vegan won't (currently) be marketed its evolution massively helped in the creation of my tallow formula.

Have a great Christmas all and if you've more feedback on either formula please keep it coming.

Kerry.

Back
Top Bottom