Phoenix&Beau: My vegan & tallow shaving soaps [testers required]

I'm a bit conflicted on this - my test lather was great, rich and luxurious. My first shave was bad, really bad. But having read these results I think I didn't get the prep right or the blade or something. So I'll give it another go tomorrow afternoon and I'm sure I'll get a great result too.

I tried the tallow sample and am pleased to report it is excellent...:D

Using a Markus Herber HMW brush (and on another occasion a L'Occitane Plisson synthetic) with The Shaving Room Bowl #2, it was relatively easy to create a yoghurty lather. The mixture took quite a bit of water before breaking down too - which is a good thing.

Glide and cushion are great and the lather maintains its consistency throughout the shave. Post shave moisturizing effect, I felt was above average to good - not absolutely great, but certainly more than acceptable.

All told, the tallow sample gave an excellent shave.

With the right scent, you'll have a winner Kerry @phoenixandbeau.

Some pictures:

Thanks for the opportunity of taking part Kerry.
Great stuff @Nico1970 and if I remember rightly you enjoyed the smokier of my scents, 'Albion'?

I'm a bit conflicted on this - my test lather was great, rich and luxurious. My first shave was bad, really bad. But having read these results I think I didn't get the prep right or the blade or something. So I'll give it another go tomorrow afternoon and I'm sure I'll get a great result too.
Sorry to hear you had this experience, can you put your finger on what caused it? Please let me know how it goes tomorrow. Kerry.

Let me start this review by saying thanks again to Kerry for sending the sample out.

I've not got a massive collection and have only experienced 3 soaps. Wickham, Reef Point and Prof Blighty so please bear that in mind when reading.

First impression was that for a sample it was huge! A very soft soap easy to put into an empty TOBS bowl. Hmm don't let the smell or lack of put you off...

Loaded readily with my Muhle synthetic, not unlike the Wickham. I did notice a very thick almost tacky consistency. Adding a little more water and palm lathered to get a feel for the slickness and I wasn't disappointed. This soap is slick! I added a little more water and into the face.

The shave with my trusty DE89 was good and the soap did a good job. No drying out of the lather at all. Felt nice and protective.

After rinsing, skin felt nice and soft again similar to Reef Point and Wickham.

Would I buy? Depending on the scent, yes.

Another shave with this Wednesday for more testing before another go with the Wickham to get a comparison.

First impressions is that this is a soap with great performance that can only get better with a decent scent.
Brilliant stuff and I'm glad it performed in the way you've described. Please let me know how you find the comparison with the Wickham. Also, what scents do you enjoy, please?

OK, so I am posting this review over several days using different equipment and will update this post as I go.

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau Soap, Tallow Formula (unscented for purposes of testing).

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
OK, so, I pressed the soap into an old cereal bowl quite easily, so a soft soap indeed. I bloom it for the duration of my hot towel and scrub preparation, and use the bloom water to help load the brush.

01bb79547d89b37b8adbe126dc3015260aa3a9e4ff.jpg

012622340b3b561d3a49fc355439bce85687859167.jpg

SCENT:
I'll not comment on the unscented aspect, more what I think would work wonders for me with a soap of this nature. I'd like to see woody, masculine scents here, so sandalwood, maybe something peppery.

LATHERABILITY:
A short bloom ensured the Body Shop synthetic brush loaded with ease. I loaded for about 15-20 seconds, which gave ample pre-lather that I transferred to my 'The Shaving Room' bowl, added a moderate amount of water to start the building of lather. The lather never had that large bubble phase I get with some other soaps, but I did need to add plenty of water. The lather as it started building had an element of elasticity that I've not seen in any other soap I won. Added a little more water to thin the lather slightly as I was using a shavette today. The lather when formed was rich and yoghurty, built without any real effort at all.

010f11e87930bdafdec00aafd2fc5b06cca1afc025.jpg

0120d27d7bf6fb858e5ae096952b9ed9a6bcb300a8.jpg

Tomorrow (day 2) I will lather using a boar brush to see if there is any discernible difference. I'll update accordingly with new photos and comments on lather.

DAY 2 - No issues building a lather here either. Had to add a little more water as the brush seemed to soak up plenty during the building of lather, but not exactly a problem at all.

01acb3f18a719eb2a65aebd0174388dc3ed1fe819e.jpg

DAY 3 - Used the mighty Omega 48 today, and boy did this brush make mincemeat of the soap! Knowing the lather hogging properties of this brush, I did load it for a bit longer, and proceeded to the bowl with the chewing gum consistency spoken of by others. Plenty of water later, I was greeted with more lather than you'd need to shave a Grizzly Bear!

01ae84cceda60a40dc5271d6390bc823b4f527d967.jpg

This is the remaining lather from day 3 shave! So much lather left, might not use this brush with the soap long term.

01069fa76d0dbbe593d18ca52d836b7939b818b174.jpg

DAY 4 - Back to the Body Shop Synthetic brush today, with a little added glycerine. No difference in lathering at all.

DAY 5 - As per yesterday, Body Shop Synthetic brush, no glycerine, usual bloom - fantastic lather

PERFORMANCE:
This for me is key. Having read some of the initial comments on the quality of the lather, I had high expectations. With that in mind, I chose a shavette for DAY 1 shave. I painted the lather over my prepared (hot towel and face scrub) skin and proceeded to take short, deliberate strokes with the razor. I could tell instantly that the lather protected the skin when taking off two days growth (I purposely didn't shave yesterday to give a good test). I felt confidence in the lather to let the razor slide over the skin also. I performed a two pass shave with the shavette, and not once did I feel tense or unsure of the soaps abilities to allow a safe, close shave.

DAY 2 - With the 39C and a 7th shave Astra SS, I felt this a good test for the soap. The blade wasn't as sharp as I like, but the lather protected diligently, gave ample glide and no drama at all.

DAY 3 - Used the DE89 today and a fresh Astra SS. First use of the razor meant there was an element of figuring out the nuances of this razor, so a good test for the soap. The lather coped well with the lack of intuition for the razor, ensuring plenty of glide and cushion where needed. Whilst the razor isn't my favourite, the lather certainly ensured there was no 'falling off a bike' type problems.

DAY 4 - Merkur 39C and Astra SS (2) with the glycerine enriched lather. Oddly, I prefer the soap in its raw state, the glycerine didn't really add much to the shave that I could notice, testament to the initial very high quality lather of the soap.

DAY 5 - The lather was exceptional as usual, and with the added protection of my home blend pre shave oil, I think I've got a combination that will be impossible to beat when it comes to the shave quality.

POST SHAVE:
DAY 1 (shavette) - Here's the second most important thing for me. Some soaps leave me tight and dry. This was the polar opposite. Not dry in the slightest, no taught sensation at all. Top marks there. The third and final element of post shave for me is alum feedback. Previous history with shavettes showed strong to severe feedback under the jawline, with mild to moderate above. This was massively reduced to zero feedback above the jawline, with mild to moderate below, testament to the protective qualities of the lather.

DAY 2 - As with day 1, plenty of good things to say about the post shave finish. No dryness, tightness or any other drama you can speak of. All looking good!

DAY 3 - Post shave experience is as good on day three as it was on the preceding days, superb finish. Definitely a market leader in my humble opinion.

DAY 4 - Still a very good finish, not improved by the addition of glycerine to the lather.

DAY 5 - Sublime finish today, with the same level of softness and zero dryness as I've come to expect from this soap.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
DAY 1 (shavette) - Well, it's a definite thumbs up here so far. The soap gave fantastic protection against the fearsome shavette. Not once did I feel any decline in protective qualities, every aspect of the test sample stands up so far. Loads and lathers well, protects and offers superior glide.

DAY 2 (Merkur 39C) - A great shave despite having a blade not at its peak in terms of sharpness. I'll load a fresh blade tomorrow in to the DE89 for a fresh blade test.

DAY 3 (Edwin Jagger DE89) - Whilst the razor isn't my favourite (touch ups needed), the lather didn't let me down, it protected against any issues that can be found when using a razor for the first time.

DAY 4 - (Merkur 39C) - A great shave was achieved this morning, even with a sense of rushing the shave a little so we could visit the inlaws. Still cushioned and protected as it has consistently done.

DAY 5 - (Merkur 39C) - Quite simply the best shave I've had in terms of performance and post shave finish. If the scents I like will be included in the product that goes to market, then this will be an unbeatable product in my humble opinion. Currently awaiting the product to go to market so that I can purchase...

FINAL CONCLUSION - OK, so I think you can tell from my previous comments that this soap is something to be reckoned with. It is absolutely sublime in use and post shave finish. It's going to be very hard indeed to find a soap that performs to the stratospheric levels that this soap does. It excels in every avenue you could ask of a soap. With the right selection of scents (baby powder, sandalwood and something spicy nudge nudge wink wink), I see this sitting in the numero uno spot of my collection for as long as is humanly fathomable. Kerry, whatever you've done with this formula, write it down, guard it with your life and whatever you do, don't stop making it!

Last edited:
OK, so I am posting this review over several days using different equipment and will update this post as I go.

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Phoenix & Beau Soap, Tallow Formula (unscented for purposes of testing).

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
OK, so, I pressed the soap into an old cereal bowl quite easily, so a soft soap indeed. I bloom it for the duration of my hot towel and scrub preparation, and use the bloom water to help load the brush.

01bb79547d89b37b8adbe126dc3015260aa3a9e4ff.jpg

012622340b3b561d3a49fc355439bce85687859167.jpg

SCENT:
I'll not comment on the unscented aspect, more what I think would work wonders for me with a soap of this nature. I'd like to see woody, masculine scents here, so sandalwood, maybe something peppery.

LATHERABILITY:
A short bloom ensured the Body Shop synthetic brush loaded with ease. I loaded for about 15-20 seconds, which gave ample pre-lather that I transferred to my 'The Shaving Room' bowl, added a moderate amount of water to start the building of lather. The lather never had that large bubble phase I get with some other soaps, but I did need to add plenty of water. The lather as it started building had an element of elasticity that I've not seen in any other soap I won. Added a little more water to thin the lather slightly as I was using a shavette today. The lather when formed was rich and yoghurty, built without any real effort at all.

010f11e87930bdafdec00aafd2fc5b06cca1afc025.jpg

0120d27d7bf6fb858e5ae096952b9ed9a6bcb300a8.jpg

Tomorrow (day 2) I will lather using a boar brush to see if there is any discernible difference. I'll update accordingly with new photos and comments on lather.

PERFORMANCE:
This for me is key. Having read some of the initial comments on the quality of the lather, I had high expectations. With that in mind, I chose a shavette for DAY 1 shave. I painted the lather over my prepared (hot towel and face scrub) skin and proceeded to take short, deliberate strokes with the razor. I could tell instantly that the lather protected the skin when taking off two days growth (I purposely didn't shave yesterday to give a good test). I felt confidence in the lather to let the razor slide over the skin also. I performed a two pass shave with the shavette, and not once did I feel tense or unsure of the soaps abilities to allow a safe, close shave.

POST SHAVE:
DAY 1 (shavette) - Here's the second most important thing for me. Some soaps leave me tight and dry. This was the polar opposite. Not dry in the slightest, no taught sensation at all. Top marks there. The third and final element of post shave for me is alum feedback. Previous history with shavettes showed strong to severe feedback under the jawline, with mild to moderate above. This was massively reduced to zero feedback above the jawline, with mild to moderate below, testament to the protective qualities of the lather.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
DAY 1 (shavette) - Well, it's a definite thumbs up here so far. The soap gave fantastic protection against the fearsome shavette. Not once did I feel any decline in protective qualities, every aspect of the test sample stands up so far. Loads and lathers well, protects and offers superior glide.
@nick_s thanks for taking the time to detail such a comprehensive review, I'm very grateful. I'm also extremely happy that you enjoyed it in the way you describe. Please keep the feedback coming :)

Kerry.

Schick HydroMagic...:)
DSC_0186_zpsbkufcusm.jpg

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Schick HydroMagic
Dutch NOS Injector Blade (New)
Semogue Boar Brush
Test sample shaving Soap
444 after shave gel
Woodsman Aftershave Splash (From USA)

I had my first shave with Vegan Sample Soap and my newly acquired Dutch made HydroMagic & NOS Dutch made Super Stainless injector blades..I found that the soap lathered very well and did not fall to pieces like the previous test sample...The test soap did provide just about a mediocre glide and cushion for me...Bearing in mind I am not using the most aggressive shaving system here but these NOS blades are very sharp indeed...:eek:

This second Test sample has vastly improved from the previous sample...By a long shot for sure..It does however fall short of current cheaper brand shaving creams though..In my humble opinion that is to say...The current Test Sample did tend to dissipate on the Face and I had to keep delving into the soap container for more...The soap was also loosing its body in my shaving bowl as I bowl lather...The soap was getting thinner in the bowl and going a sort of soapy bubbles way...:cool:

I had a nice irritation free BBS Result though...That said I couldn't have used this soap with the Razor I was using with my Tallow Soap Test Shave...No chance...Moreover...I wouldn't have been comfortable using it with a more aggressive injector either for that matter..;)

In Sum then...:rolleyes:

Lather..10/10
Slickness..5/10
Glide..5/10
Cushion..5/10
Scent..Nothing to mention as its unscented but smelled fine
Post shave...All was well...;)

The second version of the Vegan Test Soap has moved on leaps and bounds from the previous sample but in my opinion it still needs a lot of development...If I had been using an aggressive razor I reckon I would have abandoned the shave..:D

Billy

@nick_s thanks for taking the time to detail such a comprehensive review, I'm very grateful. I'm also extremely happy that you enjoyed it in the way you describe. Please keep the feedback coming :)

Kerry.
Most welcome Kerry :) I'll be covering three different razors (shavette, Edwin Jagger DE89 and my Merkur 39C) as well as brush type (sadly no badger as I don't own one) to give as comprehensive a covering as possible :)

Schick HydroMagic...:)
DSC_0186_zpsbkufcusm.jpg

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Schick HydroMagic
Dutch NOS Injector Blade (New)
Semogue Boar Brush
Test sample shaving Soap
444 after shave gel
Woodsman Aftershave Splash (From USA)

I had my first shave with Vegan Sample Soap and my newly acquired Dutch made HydroMagic & NOS Dutch made Super Stainless injector blades..I found that the soap lathered very well and did not fall to pieces like the previous test sample...The test soap did provide just about a mediocre glide and cushion for me...Bearing in mind I am not using the most aggressive shaving system here but these NOS blades are very sharp indeed...:eek:

This second Test sample has vastly improved from the previous sample...By a long shot for sure..It does however fall short of current cheaper brand shaving creams though..In my humble opinion that is to say...The current Test Sample did tend to dissipate on the Face and I had to keep delving into the soap container for more...The soap was also loosing its body in my shaving bowl as I bowl lather...The soap was getting thinner in the bowl and going a sort of soapy bubbles way...:cool:

I had a nice irritation free BBS Result though...That said I couldn't have used this soap with the Razor I was using with my Tallow Soap Test Shave...No chance...Moreover...I wouldn't have been comfortable using it with a more aggressive injector either for that matter..;)

In Sum then...:rolleyes:

Lather..10/10
Slickness..5/10
Glide..5/10
Cushion..5/10
Scent..Nothing to mention as its unscented but smelled fine
Post shave...All was well...;)

The second version of the Vegan Test Soap has moved on leaps and bounds from the previous sample but in my opinion it still needs a lot of development...If I had been using an aggressive razor I reckon I would have abandoned the shave..:D

Billy
Well I'm just glad you got through a shave without having to abandon @Fergiebilly :D:eek:

It's evident from most that my tallow formula is the clear leader here and so, whilst I'll continue to develop the Vegan, I'll be going to market with the tallow first.

More on that soon. :)

Well I'm just glad you got through a shave without having to abandon @Fergiebilly :D:eek:

It's evident from most that my tallow formula is the clear leader here and so, whilst I'll continue to develop the Vegan, I'll be going to market with the tallow first.

More on that soon. :)
Yeah, the Tallow you have their is a Premium product for sure...That's ready for the Market as is...The Vegan soap I can see you have put a lot of effort into since the first batch but to be brutally honest that would have went in the Bin....Don't get me wrong...Proraso soap is a lot worse than that and it sells...I wouldn't know why....I threw it right in the Bin...I will get jumped on for that..:D

Billy

Sorry to hear you had this experience, can you put your finger on what caused it? Please let me know how it goes tomorrow. Kerry.
Can't say but I'm beginning to suspect weak face prep combined with a duff Rapira blade and letting it get too watery for pass 3.

Tonight I had a hot shower, and used a vintage Wilkie in my trusty Standard. The shave was excellent, I'm sure if you find some good scents you'll create another splash in the UK artisan soap pond. Well done Kerry :)

@Nishy absolutely. In fact once we've wrapped the testing on the tallow my next process will be to ask the community what they'd like the soap to be contained within and also how strong folk like their scents.

@Electrif did you make a note of how much menthol glycerin you added, please? N.b a bone jarringly cold mentholated version is on my list of potentials.

@Uncle Bertie ah I'm so glad you got it to your liking and thank you for the very kind comment about joining the UK artisanal scene. High praise indeed. :)

Back
Top Bottom