Closed Passaround : Sam Seong 'kamisori' COMPLETE

Just got home to find this waiting for me so first and foremost, thanks to p.b. and bigger thanks to Whosthedaddy for this opportunity. Whilst giving it the once over, loaded a blade, held it up to my face to get a feel for it and... The blade fell out.
At first I thought I couldn't have pushed the locking slider far enough so reloaded, pushed the slider to lock the blade and as soon as I let go of the slider it starts to creep back and eventually the blade falls out.
I notice there's an adjuster screw inside the head. Is this to adjust the lock? Don't want to go fiddling with it without finding out first...

Not sure.

Normally on a Feather it's a push to open, this has a screw. Before sending out I noticed that the slider sat mid way holding the blade even when pushed as far as could go?

Without telling you to suck eggs, it gets pushed towards the tip of the razor and not the handle to tighten?

Not sure.

Normally on a Feather it's a push to open, this has a screw. Before sending out I noticed that the slider sat mid way holding the blade even when pushed as far as could go?

Without telling you to suck eggs, it gets pushed towards the tip of the razor and not the handle to tighten?
Haha! Yes, that's the way I pushed it. But gradually crept towards the handle and therefore loosening off until the blade fell out!
I'll have another go tomorrow at shave time!

Pretty sure a quarter of a turn of the screw will allow for the knob to slide fully to the end to hold the razor, or otherway to loosen one side of the head for dismantling. Either way a small adjustment should be just whats needed. I suspect the head might have been a smidge tight meaning a snug fit thats now a little loose?

I found the slider moved back to the middle position after being pushed to the end but the blade didn't fall out.

Are you using the Pro-Guards? They are thicker than a non-guarded blade. Paul

I found the slider moved back to the middle position after being pushed to the end but the blade didn't fall out.

Are you using the Pro-Guards? They are thicker than a non-guarded blade. Paul
I'm using the supplied blades...
Maybe I just didn't locate the blade properly in the first place? That's the most probable answer.

This was the second 'straight' razor I've tried that used the Feather Artists Club blades, the other being the folding Feather SS. I wanted to try this to see if I preferred a non-folding to a folding Feather SS.

Overall I wasn't impressed with the quality of the Sam Seong: flashing on the rubber handle; the two plates that clamp the blade are not perfectly parallel at the cutting edge of the blade so that there's slightly more blade exposure at one end of the razor than the other but this is then reversed when looking from the other side the difference is so slight it probably doesn't make any difference to the shave but it wasn't an issue with the much more expensive feather; the chrome plating is far from 'mirror finish' and the sliding /clamping mechanism feels vague and insecure.

However, they are far cheaper than the Feather and so that trade-off in quality might be OK with some. For me the main issue I had was that the (nice and grippy) handle encouraged me the grip the razor too tightly and I frequently found myself applying too much pressure with the obvious consequence of razor burn. Maybe I would learn to overcome this but I found the folding handle easier to manipulate. Then there's the question of safety when it's in the drawer, with the folding the blade will be covered and protected from damage and will protect fingers too. Easy decision: folding for me.

When I got it right I had a lovely shave - and I find it very satisfying using this type of razor - DEs are almost too easy sometimes when you have the time and want a challenge.

A big thank you to whosthedaddy for putting this on passaround. Previously I'd thought I'd prefer the non-folding and was going to get one of those so you have saved me making this mistake. Cheers, Paul

For storage, the blade could be turned so the cutting edge is inside the blade head and not exposed. For my Feathers Ive got the plastic guards to protect them, but in essence they're not really needed?

Build quality, yes, far far from the Feather. You hold one side by side and the quality can be felt in just the balance and weight. But, with the same technique the shave can be just as good.

I've gone the opposite direction, I've sold 2 of my folding Feathers and kept the non folding ones. The only folding one I've kept thus far is the RG, only because they dont make it anymore and in that respect quite a rare thing these days.

I've used it 3 times so far...
The first time I posted it in the SOTD thread and said that it left me with a good razor burn and a nice nick too. That shave was first pass with the Sam Seong, 2 and 3 with DE.
The second time was a much nicer affair. Smoother and irritation free. Again first pass with SS, 2 and 3 with DE.
The third time was better still, much closer and a single pass would have been good enough for a DFS. A second ATG pass with DE left me with the closest shave I've ever had!
So would I buy one? No, for the reasons mentioned in previous posts. But I would (and most likely will) buy the Feather Artist non folding straight.
I've really enjoyed using the Sam Seong and I find it really nice to hold and control and manipulate around my face, so thanks again for the opportunity. 2 more goes and I'll pass it on! Might even brave a second pass with it...

Back
Top Bottom