Closed Pass around: Black Standard Razor

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul
I'm glad you enjoyed the shaves at least. I know it's not as well made as a Feather AS-D2, but it is quite a bit cheaper. Someone should start making light weight razors from stainless steel :p
I can't make up my mind, if I light big heavy razors best or light nimble ones. I had a fantastic shave with my Digress today, but I also enjoyed the R41 head on a tiny aluminium handle from a 1972 Gillette tech, or the plastic Neo-Gam. Maybe I just like variety.

Certainly

1. Whosthedaddy
  2. Stacy555
  3. p.b
  4. SeanC
  5. Kevy
  6. AndyMc133
  7. Sir_eider
  8. Shavejourneybadger
The list is still open.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Completed, Waiting

A somewhat belated review following an absolute nightmare of a week at work and the mother of all hangovers yesterday...

Looks

A classy matte black finish, although I can't help thinking that personally speaking I would prefer the white variant as it may not tarnish so easily from soap deposits (Proraso and Razorock this means you).

Build Quality

Good, although like others I'm slightly wary of the durability of the head fixing.

Handling

I'm generally used to heavier razors, but quickly took to this and found it very nimble to use, the lack of weight not proving to be an issue. Similarly, I found the grip to be secure with wet and soapy hands and the balance and handle length good.

Shaving

I was fortunate that I hit the sweet spot on my first shave and have enjoyed four more 2.5 pass DFS since. Regardless of what blade is being used (I tried a Gillette Super Thin and Polsilver SI) there is an audible crunch as the razor does its work. I suspect this is down to the aluminium? One observation I have is that although the blade gap is quite conservative, the blade exposure is a lot more than the other razors I have in my possession. I suspect that is what makes it such an effective bit of kit.

Would I Buy One

Yes, although I will hang around to see if one comes up second hand or on promotion

Thanks Andreas for making this happen

@Kevy please can you PM your address details. I will send 1st Class so hopefully you can use it over the holiday period

Last edited:
It's not the easiest thing in the world to put your hand up and say you're having a job coping with the stuff that most others think nothing of. You've had the strength and honesty and openness to do so and are to be admired and respected for it.

Judging by some other posts, (mine included) you're not the only one ....but we won't go there :)

(I'd best add another smiley there as well.... :) )

Every good wish.
I second this!

Received by Kevy. Enjoy.
  1. Whosthedaddy
  2. Stacy555
  3. p.b
  4. SeanC
  5. Kevy
  6. AndyMc133
  7. Sir_eider
  8. Shavejourneybadger
The list is still open.

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Waiting, Completed

Last edited:
I tested out the Phoenix & Beau soap in the video alongside The Standard Razor. Great comfortable shave all round. Looking forward to the next one before passing it on.

I tested out the Phoenix & Beau soap in the video alongside The Standard Razor. Great comfortable shave all round. Looking forward to the next one before passing it on.

I haven't seen all of your videos, Kevy, but I noticed one thing in this one: No weepers. None. That's what the Standard is good at, while still giving you a very good shave. [emoji41]

You're spot on!

When I first started wet shaving, I would always have weepers until I mapped my hair growth. I still get them very occasionally if I'm a bit careless! But the standard does give a very comfortable shave. Not too mild and not too aggressive either. I like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom