Closed Pass around: Black Standard Razor

Thanks for letting us know, Stacy. Enjoy...

1. Whosthedaddy
2. Stacy555
3. p.b
4. SeanC
5. Kevy
6. AndyMc133

Legend: Currently with, On the way to, Completed, Waiting

Morning came and the bathroom called, a hot shower was followed by the opening of a new Lada blade, this was added to the Standard and playtime began.

Trumpers Coconut oil
Chinese Badger brush (still impressed)
Standard Black (very black) Razor
Lada (1)
Nivea post shave bal (sensitive)
Al Maqam

First Impressions out of the pouch, difficult to say as I did not have my glasses on, my old eyes struggled at first to get any real details, glasses on and the blackness and sleek lines came into view, its a nice thing not exceptional in any way but looks designed to do a job.

Now onto the job mentioned, 3 days of old man stubble and a nice bowl of hot water, whipped up the trumpers and got maybe my best lather to date using my new bowl from watergaw ceramics and my £2.65 special brush, first pass was as good as I've had from anything else including my Ikon slant which is at the moment my go to, only problem was I did not feel comfortable with the weight, it feels how you expect it to "light aircraft alloy" says your brain, but for me with my big hands and a love of the heavy steel, it just feels wrong, anyway second pass was easy and swift, third was basically just a clean up pass.

The end result was a real good shave, no complaints about the smooth bristle free face, just about the feel (for me) in actual use.

Will get another couple of shaves in before I move it on to the next in line and will report again, would I buy one today, on first use no, not because of the quality or the function, just because its too light for my personal taste.

Since starting lets be fair not very long ago, I've experienced 6 razors, ranging from the Ebay Boots copy to the Fatboy pass around, with a couple of Ikons (both on Stainless steel handles) and a 96R in between, with that limited experience I think I've become accustomed to a handle that sits on the heavy side, with more time I am sure I will adapt to other ways of thinking and shaving, but on first impressions it, and I cant put it any other way sorry, "felt wrong" even though it gave a great clean shave.

I'll see how the next 2 shaves go ...... first impressions can be wrong. ;)

With prety much all my DEs being plastic or thereabouts, l liked the weight, problemt with this razor is the handles are not interchangeable.
The handle can (allegedly) be changed. You unscrew the screw from the handle and screw it into the head with some Loctite to keep it there. I've opted not to do this as any other handle would look silly and I'm quite happy with it anyway. That and I don't have any Loctite.

Shave 2

Another nice shave, I'm warming to the Standard, as I use it again it does not feel as light as day 1, but I think without using something in between I expected it this time.
No nicks no weepers, even went cleanly over a newly removed ingrower without any drama, still not making me want to click on Massdrop though, so will give it one last blade / soap combo, and parcel it (Him ? Her ?) up for p.b to have a run with.

polo.jpg
Thanks again Andreas for the chance to try this sexy black razor.

Back
Top Bottom