PASS AROUND: 1933 #77 Gillette Open comb NEW

Sorry I've not been on here much of late. I'll make this the last week of my ownership, I can't get to the PO before Monday but will aim to post it off then.

Mick - PM me your details later in the week ;)

This razor has taught me a lot. Least of all that a two pass shave is all that's necessary, and it delivers that superbly. I wouldn't say it's aggressive 'per se, but it can be unforgiving, as last weeks attempt to blade buff my chin showed me! From now on I'm going to aim for two passes as my default.

It works well with the majority of my blades, except perhaps the Shark SS and shaves at least as close as my Slant, and certainly closer than the rest of my Gillette's. I've realistically got plenty of razors, and would love to thin my stash somewhat, but will be keeping a sneaky eye out for one of these.

Many thanks to Antdad for the opportunity :angel:

Anyone tried this AND the gillette OC that Johnny kindly sent out for people to try?

Eager to try this, but no need if it's very similar to Johnnys.

Thank you

This is one of the many guises of an English long tooth NEW, almost the same head as Bob razorworks uses but the handle will be much lighter.

His bulldog is a handsome well made handle but too large and heavy for this head compared to this #77 imo, up to you.

quattrojames said:
Has anybody heard how Chicken Neck got on?

I am ready to pass on to the next chap.

I must admit I struggled with it a bit. I don't know if I didnt find the right blade, but I didnt find it quite as smooth on the neck ATG as other razors. It certainly gives a close easy shave every where else. I also think I prefer the weighting of my US long tooth OC which has a slightly wider (but hollow) handle - the barrel handle. Having said that, the quality and look of the British 77 is far superior.

Perhaps I should try two passes WTG on the neck instead of my standard WTG + ATG (I think that is Antdad's approach with this razor). I have never managed to go XTG on my 'chicken neck' with any razor.

In any case, I am very grateful to Tony for letting me try this historical piece.

David

sonny said:
Can you tell me if the shave angle is noticeably bigger when using this as compared to 'regular' razors like merkur 34c/38c or the slants?

Thanks

Not really, blade is more exposed than above razors so I'd say touch is more critical than angle.

Whoever receives it keep the thread updated.

antdad said:
sonny said:
Can you tell me if the shave angle is noticeably bigger when using this as compared to 'regular' razors like merkur 34c/38c or the slants?

Thanks

Not really, blade is more exposed than above razors so I'd say touch is more critical than angle.

Whoever receives it keep the thread updated.

Posted to Fitz today. Enjoy it Andy!

Back
Top Bottom