PASS AROUND: 1933 #77 Gillette Open comb NEW

moodymick said:
Tony, can you put me on the list please, I have a letter from my Mum. She says it is ok as long as I don't put in a blade sharper than a SM.

Hi there,

I think your mother might still worry about you trying that nasty old razor. I'm a bit concerned myself, since I don't wanna see you badly hurt.

I'd suggest not actually putting a blade in the thing if you do use it. It'll still be 'fun', but the odds of killing yourself will be a little less.

Who's the biggest boy,

Monty

Done, I haven't tried them in this razor but Astra's should be okay, with this Super chromes do it for me.

To all. Keep hold of it for at least 2 or 3 weeks, one isn't enough.

I also find that choice of soap makes a huge difference in "taming" this razor. Something nice and slick and protective like Valobra makes a huge difference. In my view, try to avoid anything that goes dry and thin rather quickly.

Good lather will certainly help but if it's dry and thin it's more to do with the lather making process than the soap itself, we all have our favorites but slick and quite thick should be achievable with most soaps.

In a perfect world where all soaps were created equal, I might agree, but my experience is that some soaps just inherently provide a lather which is thicker, more water retentive, lasting, and heck... just better than others - no matter what you do in terms of lathering, wetting the soap, etc. YMMV, of course. :shave

In a perfect world with more experience you wouldn't be making lather that "goes dry and thin rather quickly", I'm just glad you've found a soap that's matched your technique, huzzah. YLMV.

Tony,

Whatever. We can all benefit from more experience.

To get back to my original point, which was intended to be helpful to the readers of this thread....

Simply this - this is a great offer to try a very distinctive razor. And, in my experience, this is a razor which certainly does demand good razor technique, and, just as importantly, the slickest, creamiest lather you can muster.

As you rightly pointed out to Lesed, these are remarkably aggressive razors that take a while to get used to - which I discovered for myself the first time I tried one. However, I also discovered that a generous lathering of Valobra (the soft block, not the stick) made the shaving experience altogether more enjoyable and relaxing for me than the soap I had been using previously; I don't recall which, but it may have been GFT's Limes hard soap which I've been using off and on without issues - apart from the occasional off day - for about 7 years. I was getting a good lather off the GFT's (or whatever it was), but with this razor, I found that the Valobra just worked so much better.

Best wishes,

Michael

antdad said:
Done, I haven't tried them in this razor but Astra's should be okay, with this Super chromes do it for me.

To all. Keep hold of it for at least 2 or 3 weeks, one isn't enough.

Cheers Tony.

I hope you don't mind but I gave it a quick polish and ultra sonic, looks shiny :D (I just couldn't help myself! I like shiny things)

Ready to roll with it this week, I'll post how I get on.

Looking quite forward to it!

2 shaves in. It's a lovely razor. Yes it's aggressive but I like that :D

BBS on both shaves so far but on shave 1 I got a few nicks on my neck. Today's shave was spot on.

Thanks Tony for giving us the chance to try it.

Thanks for your interest but as with Lyced I'm limiting the loan of this razor to more experienced members that have a few more posts. If in a few months you are still a regular member I'd be happy to lend it out so just PM me, I'm sure you understand.

Back
Top Bottom