Nanny's Silly Soap Returns

I would say it's noticeably softer than my 'Original' soap if you've ever had that, and it also dissolves more easily than that did; so whereas with original if you put a blob in a bowl and lathered, sometimes bits of the soap would hide in the brush and not get lathered, this one doesn't seem to have that problem. See here for an idea; I'll do a vid of lathering in a bowl later as a demo.

Texture - I would class this as an ultra-soft croap as the texture differs from commercial cream, in that it has higher viscosity. I suspect, without full knowledge, that commercial creams are 'whipped' to entrain both water and air, a process I would not expect an artisan soapmaker to emulate. It is soft enough to smear on my face for face-lathering, which is my preference
Per my earlier post.

@ischiapp This is me lathering the cream; I may have had too much water in there, the light is awful, and OH is not the greatest photographer. But hopefully you can get the general idea. Our water is medium hard. I'm sure members here could do a better job.

Herewith my views on the soap (Moroccan Sands).

Scent - I think the scent is a little stronger than the cream. Great scent.

Texture - Clearly a soap but not a hard one. You have to be careful loading your brush or you will go through your tub in a few days. Go easy on the brush pressure to load and all will be well.

Lather - This, to me, is better then the cream. It quickly produces a creamy lather and, like the cream, it can take, indeed needs, a lot of water. Lather is very slick and protective

Shave - Using a Yaqi AC razor with Schick blade I found the shave slightly better than the cream. No trace of irritation and no weepers. 'Blade feel' was low showing a healthy cushion.

Post-shave - skin is comfortable with a nicely moisturised feel.

One can clearly perceive the family resemblance to the cream and the differences I found may just be due to my preference for soap over cream. It should be borne in mind that I do not use cream and may be lacking in technique.

I would like to conclude with a purely personal list of things I would like to see in some putative future release of this soap. Purely personal. Just me and no criticism intended.

1. Bring back 'Down Home Summer'. My favourite soap scent EVER!
2. Try a batch incorporating goats' milk. This, in any soap, is really helpful to my rosacea.
3. Could the soap be made a little harder? A small amount of sodium hydoxide maybe?

I have reached an age where I tend to stick with things I know and love, a philosophy which extends to shaving soap. It is therefore, quite significant to say that I will incorporate Nanny's latest in my soap rotation, taking it to two!

IMG_2168.jpeg
SOTD: 19/07/2023

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai Captain Mild Blue, 5th use
Brush: Yaqi Napoli
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Nanny’s Silly Soap Moroccan Sands Croap
Balm: Baxter Of California Aftershave Balm
Fragrance: William Hunt Oud De Parfum Eau de Toilette

I was beginning to consider parting with the Vector, but then Nanny’s Soap came along and has changed my mind. It’s so dense and protective that it really does take the edge slightly off the Vector! Zero irritation, skin’s top layer intact takes the Vector shave to another level! Very impressive!
All the best guys.

Last edited:
As I said in Facebook, I will be ordering. I just needed to get paid... I'm self-employed, and folks these days want the work doing but don't much care for paying me on time.

Really glad you're back!

As I said in Facebook, I will be ordering. I just needed to get paid... I'm self-employed, and folks these days want the work doing but don't much care for paying me on time.

Really glad you're back!
Nice to see you again, @Lipsy . You were around when I joined in 2010 and suggested I shared my blade review spreadsheet on here.

Hope you are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom