Just popping down to Jermyn St....

I reckon sharpening and heat treatment are more fundamental than the composition of the steel for most cutting tools. That said, there are some materials which would make hideous razor blades, like AUS 8 or 8Cr13MoV which are pretty much designed to form rough but durable edges.

All this talk about shavemecca is too much. I have put off a visit for too long. 0834 on Monday, I'm on my way. Dark glasses and long Mackintosh on. Best suit and tie, shoes polished. Plum firmly in mouth.

From Jermyn st to Trumpers to DR Harris to Wurzel Gummidge to Una Stubbs to Big Myths to Cleveland Steamers to glass top tables to The Shadows to sandalwood and almonds to lavendar & rose to dumpettes to Merkur blades to Sandvik steels and boggled minds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and now iron envy :lol:

fozz77 said:
From Jermyn st to Trumpers to DR Harris to Wurzel Gummidge to Una Stubbs to Big Myths to Cleveland Steamers to glass top tables to The Shadows to sandalwood and almonds to lavendar & rose to dumpettes to Merkur blades to Sandvik steels and boggled minds :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and now iron envy :lol:

Iron envy? You're not delving into rhyming slang now are you?

:shock:

antdad said:
Boys, boys now I'm getting steel composition envy. :geek:
Yes, that was a bit geeky, sorry folks :D
Back to Jermyn Street: when I called into Taylors a few years back the 12 year old who served me was certainly polite, but I thought I detected a measure of amused disdain. I felt that I'd committed some sort of sartorial faux pas, or maybe my accent is considered comical. At any rate, now that Taylors products are so widely available (they weren't then), I don't feel the urge to go back. I do however like window shopping in Jermyn Street on the odd occasion when I'm in London, particularly the shoe shops. One day I'd like a pair of Oxfords from John Lobb.

Fido said:
All this talk about shavemecca is too much. I have put off a visit for too long. 0834 on Monday, I'm on my way. Dark glasses and long Mackintosh on. Best suit and tie, shoes polished. Plum firmly in mouth.

Will await your return to see what treats have been purchased. I’m off to L’Occitane tomorrow with a 20% off voucher :hungrig

A day that went like clockwork. Used my bus pass for the first time ever and got to St James's by 11am. DR Harris, T&H, TOBS and Trumpers duly inspected.
I had a really good look at all the shaving brushes. Rooney styles everywhere all with the shop brand name. I didn't bother to make enquiries about who makes what for who. I pretty well have it figured now.I asked why it seemed so important to have the Made in England label. Foreign visitors love it.That makes sense.Staff were all friendly and not too pushy although the TOBS people were rather invasive. All the shops present their stuff delightfully. I had a lengthy chat at T&H. They seem a bit miffed that Vulfix haven't approached them to sell Simpson brushes. Didn't ask why they hadn't approached Vulfix!

Didn't spend too long anywhere. Being half term London was a seething mass of humanity - a February Monday!

OK this was it, very restrained for me:

DR Harris Rose cream - on general sale soon.
Trumpers Rose soap in bowl
TOBS Imitation badger brush
T&H small super badger brush

All nicely packaged with good quality product catalogues.

Just to add my twopenny's worth to this thread, as regards first visits to the 3 T's.

I haven't actually been in Trumpers as yet. Now, I look like a bit of a thug, I'll admit, as I'm quite stocky and shave my head (I'm 42), so I was a bit put off when I was looking in Trumpers window and the well dressed gent in there was the other side of the window looking at me a bit suspiciously, so I didn't go in.

Taylors was totally different, I went in there (the shop was quite busy at the time) and started browsing, and one of the assistants asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. I said I was looking but fancied buying a shave cream, ended up buying Rose and Avocado (to replace the ones I had just finished) and got talking to the assistant about football :lol:

I've been into T&H as well. The first time I went, I wasn't suited up, but was smartish casual with a pair of jeans on. Just as I was walking down to the shop, there was a nice Rolls Royce outside and an old gent came out of the shop and got in, helped by his chauffeur. Hmmmm, would I be welcome? Indeed I was, they were only too happy to help and I came out with a pot of Ultimate Comfort.

Always like visiting Jermyn Street when I'm in London.

Are you the same Pompey Bill that did such an excellent photothread on Jermyn St on another site? - if so why not post a link here? - I would but I cannot remember which site.
And if I have made an ass of myself and you are not this person - welcome aboard anyway! :oops:

DSCN0650.jpg

DSCN0649.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

DSCN0651.jpg

And no, it isn't!

Audiolab said:
Good steal Fido, how is the Rose cream? You must shave NOW and tell us if it is any good.

I'll give it a go in the morning. I was assured that it is not another Creightons offering. T&H Rose will take some beating. It just seemed the right thing to get from DRH at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom