IS Mitchells Wool fat as good as everyone says?

Sir_eider said:
Hi!

About this soap, at first I was disappointed with it (I couldn't get any good foam lathering in a bowl) until I tried to use it like a stick: passing the soap through my beard and then facelathering. In this way I got a wonderful luxury foam and I could finally appreciate its properties! IMHO is the best value for money soap (probably there's better soap around, but no so cheap) in the market, with a really good post-shave. For me, the best british soap you can got, much better than a TOBS, T&H, DR Harris or Geo F. Trumper. The only con is the scent, it would be wonderful if the soapmaker decide to make a quality fraganced range like Razorock for example.

Cheers!

+1 to everything here. Best British soap hands down, performance wise, if you can tolerate the scent, let alone enjoy.

Another thing that I would suggest with the MWF is to always use your stiffest brush to lather. I used my oh-so-floppy Kent BK2 today and the lather (in my hard water area) was rubbish. I'd got much better results with a stiffer Omega boar brush last week.

MWF; Kent; etc they are nice soaps but so are 'our local' soaps. Just used Nanny's Lavender. Open razor, nice easy to make lather. Good glide. And it has a Fragrance! My not have the reputation of the others but a nice reasonably priced soap. That has a nice Lavender scent!

MWF is a brilliant soap and one everyone should try at some point. However, having used it exclusively for some time, when I ran out I switched to some of my other soaps and didnt feel the need to get more MWF.

As others have said, its a good soap, but others will provide you with just as good a shave and post shave feeling IMO.

I must say, I bought it in a dark oak bowl and my first impressions are good.'

Lathered really well got a fantastic shave out of it, my skin felt awesome afterwards.

Im gad I took the plunge. Top soap.

Latherman said:
I must say, I bought it in a dark oak bowl and my first impressions are good.'

Lathered really well got a fantastic shave out of it, my skin felt awesome afterwards.

Im gad I took the plunge. Top soap.

That for me is X factor for MWF - how good my skin feels afterwards.

havent tried it, i'm also in a hard water area and reports about difficulty in lathering put me right off. i have to use loads of elbow grease to lather everything i have already.

rick.

isaiah53 said:
i live in a hard water area and i can get a decent lather from it, it took a bit of perseverance though. i really like the stuff, its something i always plan to have on hand.

thats good to know, was your peseverance extra elbow grease or getting the right amount of water loaded on your brush?

cheers m8, rick.

singerman said:
isaiah53 said:
i live in a hard water area and i can get a decent lather from it, it took a bit of perseverance though. i really like the stuff, its something i always plan to have on hand.

thats good to know, was your peseverance extra elbow grease or getting the right amount of water loaded on your brush?

cheers m8, rick.

a bit of everything, just finding out what worked. the main thing that got it for me was filling the bowl up with hot water while i had a bath to soften it up, then emptying that water into a bowl while i loaded and use the soapy water to dip in as i needed more water. just a little experimentation :)

isaiah53 said:
singerman said:
isaiah53 said:

cheers m8, rick.

a bit of everything, just finding out what worked. the main thing that got it for me was filling the bowl up with hot water while i had a bath to soften it up, then

emptying that water into a bowl while i loaded and use the soapy water to dip in as
i needed more water. just a little experimentation :)

thank you i might just take a gamble n get some :)

As I posted in my today shave, if anyone have doubts about getting quality foam easily doing facelathering after passing the MWF soap puck through your beard, just check how many foam I got AFTER the first pass:

2qixxc5.jpg

Enough for two more passes, even in this small Vie&Long brush, hehe

Cheers!

I have been using a EJ shaving cream and recently gone back the the Fat. All I can say is the difference is like night and day.

It really is that good in my experience.

I havent had a single nick since going back to it.

I haven't experienced many different soaps/creams. I've tried Body Shop old and new versions (good) and a palmolive stick (a better slip but not quite so easy to lather) and I've just tried MWF in it's Kent disguise and it outclasses the others by far, great cushion, loads of slip and my skin feels fantastic after. It lathers easily too and we have very hard water here (north Suffolk) I'm not sure why people find it tricky to lather - maybe old stock gets a bit hard? The puck I have is very soft.

I think it may be down to the brushes, BazC. I've only ever used a couple of cheap boars and a badger silvertip, and never tried the MWF with the boar after getting a great lather with the badger. But I did read somewhere that it might be down to some types of brushes and hard water (I have hard water too though).

Yeah maybe, I have my Dad's old boar brush, it's nice enough but nothing special, it may be an Omega as they still make one that looks very similar.

Back
Top Bottom