IS Mitchells Wool fat as good as everyone says?

I've head LOADS if good things about this soap on other forums and sites.

Its just a hard soap, what makes it such an absolute favourite?

is it the scent? what does it eve smell like?

some of the reviews ive read rave so much about you'd swear it contained powdered unicorn horn.

Please enlighten me.

Latherman said:
Its just a hard soap, what makes it such an absolute favourite?

is it the scent? what does it even smell like?
Please enlighten me.

Hi there,

First of all, the scent isn't the big deal about MWF. It's a nice clean/soapy sorta fragrance that doesn't intrude during the shave.

Performance wise, it's pretty darn good. Just the right amount of cushion, with plenty of slip. Post shave skin care is among the best.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Yes it's as good as (almost) everyone says as long as you don't have very hard water, in which case it has caused me difficulty in use on occasions in the past. Which may also be because at home I'm spoilt by having perhaps the softest tap water in Britain. It's also, of course, no recommended if you are lanolin intolerant. For me it is also one of those soaps which works best if used over succesive days and thus kept moist.
The scent is, as previously said, a nice, clean, soapy one and it does seem to leave the skin slightly softer after a couple of weeks use.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

More difficult to lather than most. But lovely soap to use. And it's exactly the same as this stuff:

http://www.multipharmacy.com/shop/customer/Kent-Shaving-Re-Fill-Soap-pid-11899.html?gclid=COvwmbyy-q8CFcQKfAodggQJDQ

By it self, It's rubbish for me. Hard water over here and it's so much effort to get a half decent lather that I just can't be bothered with it.

I did have an idea, I aired a palmolive stick for a month or so and milled around 1/3 of a stick with my puck and it's much better.

Post shave feeling is great.

In terms of feel and performance I think it's comparable to L'Occitane Cade, it shaves very well and leaves your skin feeling pretty good, but like Dipesh and Paul I don't think it's the grail of soaps. Like Cade, the scent is weak and not particularly interesting.

I'm also in a hard water area so it's a pain to lather for me, T+H and Trumpers hard soaps lather so much easier and they smell better.

Re: RE: IS Mitchells Wool fat as good as everyone says?

Canuck said:
Like Cade, the scent is weak and not particularly interesting.

I don't think you can mean Cade here? A very strong, pronounced smell! It's probably the most strongly-scented hard soap I've encountered.

Fido said:
More difficult to lather than most. But lovely soap to use. And it's exactly the same as this stuff:

I hadn't realised Kent soap was made by Mitchells, is there any difference between black and red labelled Kent soap?

I love it and it's the only soap out there that I get reactions from (only use it during the winter time and only on occasions), it's mega loaded with lanolin (sheep fat). I can use other soaps containing lanolin though, but MWF has so much that it can turn on me (pimples and/or rash).

MWF nice winter soap. Use it specially when I'm going to be out in the cold for any length of time. Easy on the skin. It's put away for the season.

Back
Top Bottom