Henson de razor

The Henson AL13 medium is a GREAT razor. The Ti medium is also a great razor. Seriously. They're in my top 6.
I have the aluminium medium and I have swapped out the handle for a stainless bulldog and the shave is fantastic but the head does drag a bit which really frustrates me. Does the Ti head 'glide" any smoother than the Al?

I have the aluminium medium and I have swapped out the handle for a stainless bulldog and the shave is fantastic but the head does drag a bit which really frustrates me. Does the Ti head 'glide" any smoother than the Al?
I had the oportunity to try a Ti on loan and found it to be draggy as well. I never used the AL version but I don't think the drag is down to the material. I firmly believe it's the design of the head and that chiseled look. Had the exact same experience with the Mongoose which shares the angled profile. And that was in Polished SS so definitely not something draggy.
Nice to see some of you really getting on with it. It did not work for me.

Drag? Never noticed this personally and I’m used to using a gleaming, rhodium plated Aristocrat but YMMV. Ironically, one of the razors I own has a very similar finish on its head - the aluminium iKon X3. Far from generating drag, you barely know this beastie is on your face so slick and efficient does it transverse the globe of my old coupon. I think if you get the angle right, as prescribed by the head and your lather is slick then to feel drag seems decidedly strange. Hmm, drag eh? Nah…

Last edited:
I can't say that I've ever noticed any drag with this. If I don't get the angle right, then it doesn't do a lot of shaving, but that's about it. I suppose it could be something to do with the head design being in planes, and the only ones here similar are the original RazoRock SE safety bar original black aluminium slab-sided version of the Hawk, and the black aluminium Alumigoose SE, but I've never had a problem with those, either.

Other than the light weight factor, which I have solved as described above, the only thing which does occasionally cause me problems is the razor clogging, if I am using particular soaps and don't swill it out frequently. The baseplate slots in the Henson are more generously-sized than a lot of other razors, but they need to be cleared often.

The term drag is probably misleading - it's the suction from the angled sides of the head. I experienced the same thing with the WSC Winning and another razor who's name eludes me.

I accept I'm in a minority in disliking the Henson. I also dislike the Blackland Vector which is another hugely popular razor. Take my opinions with a pinch of salt but they're my opinions and I think the Henson is a soulless skin sucking monstrosity :cool:

After reading all the reviews my new Henson (medium) arrived a few days ago. Excellent build quality and in a nice purple colour. Have tried it with the Astra Green that was in the box and today with a Feather both excellent shaves, for the first time ever I have used a Feather blade and not had the alum block on standby in case of the usual nicks that I get with that blade. Look forward to trying many more blades to see if there is a perfect blade for this!.

The term drag is probably misleading - it's the suction from the angled sides of the head. I experienced the same thing with the WSC Winning and another razor who's name eludes me.

I accept I'm in a minority in disliking the Henson. I also dislike the Blackland Vector which is another hugely popular razor. Take my opinions with a pinch of salt but they're my opinions and I think the Henson is a soulless skin sucking monstrosity :cool:
Absolutely agree with you C. Indeed the exact same thing I felt when using it. No matter how much residual slickness the soap had (I may even go ahead and say the effect was exacerbated by this) there was a certain ventouse effect when the lather was completely removed and clean skin left behind. Don't get me wrong, a truly great shaver and got some of the easiest BBS shaves but that 'suction' made it undesireable for me.

Last edited:

Don't hold back Chris :D

Every time I use It, I ask myself why I don't sell all the others.
UoRbAuzm.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom