Henson de razor

Damn, I regret not grabbing one at their intro price of $39!!! :mad: Oh well, I don't think they had the Medium one then.
I was going to sell mine, but couldn't quite bring myself to do it, also because I got it for the initial low price and it's a really nice, very well made shaver regardless of price point.
Plus, I can use the base plate with a few other base plates for more fun. :)

Damn, I regret not grabbing one at their intro price of $39!!! :mad: Oh well, I don't think they had the Medium one then.
Don't feel too bad, although I initially loved the Henson I'm not so sure I feel the same as it's just a bit tad bit on the mild side and I've got the medium, I do wonder what the aggressive ones like but from what I understand is that it only comes in the titanium which costs a fair bit more

saying that I haven't used the Henson In a fair while so maybe I've just forgot how good it might've been, not sure tbh

I have both Hensons and while mild they are very, very efficient. There is also very little difference in the mild and medium, but both produce BBS shaves for me. I think people put way too much emphasis on aggression and was too little emphasis on efficiency. I have had a lot of aggressive razors that aren't very efficient and also highly efficient milder razors. Just because you can't feel the blade scraping your face doesn't mean it isn't removing whiskers. I NEVER judge a razor by its aggressiveness alone.

I have both Hensons and while mild they are very, very efficient. There is also very little difference in the mild and medium, but both produce BBS shaves for me. I think people put way too much emphasis on aggression and was too little emphasis on efficiency. I have had a lot of aggressive razors that aren't very efficient and also highly efficient milder razors. Just because you can't feel the blade scraping your face doesn't mean it isn't removing whiskers. I NEVER judge a razor by its aggressiveness alone.

This mythical "efficiency" is simply the parroted term used repeatedly on forums that actually means aggression. People are merely repeating something they have read countless times while not really understanding what it signifies. It reminds me of the term "muscle memory". Well, muscles do not have neural cells, hence they remember nothing. It's actually rote memory in the brain. No one says "My lawnmower cuts efficiently".
It either cuts and to the height desired or it doesn't. A safety razor cuts to the height, i.e., aggression level, you so desire or it doesn't. Period. Blade gap/exposure gets you there almost always. Almost.

Do not be befuddled by people who are constantly buying über expensive artisan razors in their quest to find the perfect union of material, machining precision & "Zen". It doesn't exist.

This mythical "efficiency" is simply the parroted term used repeatedly on forums that actually means aggression. People are merely repeating something they have read countless times while not really understanding what it signifies. It reminds me of the term "muscle memory". Well, muscles do not have neural cells, hence they remember nothing. It's actually rote memory in the brain. No one says "My lawnmower cuts efficiently".
It either cuts and to the height desired or it doesn't. A safety razor cuts to the height, i.e., aggression level, you so desire or it doesn't. Period. Blade gap/exposure gets you there almost always. Almost.

Do not be befuddled by people who are constantly buying über expensive artisan razors in their quest to find the perfect union of material, machining precision & "Zen". It doesn't exist.
It does..... I've just not found it yet!

I agree that money doesn't guarantee you a good shave. A great shave can be had for <£20. I'm going to challenge you regarding the term 'efficiency' though. I think it has a place in our lexicon. I consider a blade forward (positive exposure) razor aggressive. I predominantly dislike the feel of this. Razors with a large gap and neutral exposure work as two pass wonders for me and I find these comfortable* - I'd describe these as efficient compared to their mild counterparts. Am I over-analysing the geometry? Probably but I've never been great at applying logic or restraint in this game.

*I may go so far as to say it has 'soul' ;)

Ah, soul!

With my DE being a Tech, it's pretty much all I know and it's milder than half a teaspoon of mellow birds in a pint of warm milk. I am keen to explore a bit more aggression or efficiency (whether or not they are the same thing!) hence my interest in the Fatboy passaround. I have no intention of homemade skin grafts or seeing how far I can push it, just interested to experience a little more blade feel to see if it suits me.

Do such adjustables alter blade exposure or just increase blade gap? Seems to be 2 different variables working towards what seems like the same end, but with a subtle distinction? Kind of like grinding coffee finer to increase extraction in espresso or upping the temperature.

Last edited:
Ah, soul!

With my DE being a Tech, it's pretty much all I know and it's milder than half a teaspoon of mellow birds in a pint of warm milk. I am keen to explore a bit more aggression or efficiency (whether or not they are the same thing!) hence my interest in the Fatboy passaround. I have no intention of homemade skin grafts or seeing how far I can push it, just interested to experience a little more blade feel to see if it suits me.

Do such adjustables alter blade exposure or just increase blade gap? Seems to be 2 different variables working towards what seems like the same end, but with a subtle distinction? Kind of like grinding coffee finer to increase extraction in espresso or upping the temperature.
Blade gap only on most adjustables with the exception of the Tatara Murumasa which changes exposure.

Ah, soul!

With my DE being a Tech, it's pretty much all I know and it's milder than half a teaspoon of mellow birds in a pint of warm milk...

There is a "sweet spot" on the Tech and a learning curve. When you shave watch the razor head and not your face. Always concentrate on keeping the correct angle once you find said "sweet spot". The Tech is full capable of delivering the BBS that so many seem to seek as if a mythical drug, but you will have to shave ATG at least for one pass.

It's the magician and not the wand. ;)

...Am I over-analysing the geometry?...

FCzBUws.png

;) :D:ROFLMAO:

True Bogeyman. Tech is easy to find the angle and delivers over 3 passes. ATG under the nose on pass 3 acts as a reminder of the exact angle. To be fair it is all I need, but "need" was accomplished with a Mach3 and KoS alpha gel. It's nice to explore a bit and find the combination that suits. I would not be at all surprised if I ended up keeping one straight, my Tech and a Palmolive stick if I had to make a choice. I've not got stacks of cash to chuck at it and I'm not really seeking the Holy grail, just having a play. If I'm gonna lose a chunk of cash it'll be on stones for the straight razors rather than TI or SS DEs.

I like mine very much or rather I like Matron’s very much as she’s pinched it!

I’ll be perfectly honest in that I don’t see or understand how that shaving quickly, closely and efficiently without irritation or fuss equates to lack of soul - surely this is any razor’s ultimate goal and mission statement?

If the Gillette of the 1930s had achieved this with a razor of the Henson’s attributes, I’m sure us vintage fanciers wouldn’t be looking back with anything other than rose tinted spectacles, lauding its abilities and design qualities.

Jim wouldn’t be in the pub saying to Bob, “Ere mate, this Gillette Henson’s no ruddy good - got no soul, it hasn’t.”
“Arr, shut it Jim, it whips me stubble orf right good and no messin’.”
Naw, they’d be standing there with smooth faces discussing the barmaid’s attributes instead.

Gawn yersels, Henson!

I like mine very much or rather I like Matron’s very much as she’s pinched it!

I’ll be perfectly honest in that I don’t see or understand how that shaving quickly, closely and efficiently without irritation or fuss equates to lack of soul - surely this is any razor’s ultimate goal and mission statement?

If the Gillette of the 1930s had achieved this with a razor of the Henson’s attributes, I’m sure us vintage fanciers wouldn’t be looking back with anything other than rose tinted spectacles, lauding its abilities and design qualities.

Jim wouldn’t be in the pub saying to Bob, “Ere mate, this Gillette Henson’s no ruddy good - got no soul, it hasn’t.”
“Arr, shut it Jim, it whips me stubble orf right good and no messin’.”
Naw, they’d be standing there with smooth faces discussing the barmaid’s attributes instead.

Gawn yersels, Henson!
It drags as well. Soulless and draggy! The worst combo...

My Henson Medium is a very good razor, and although I like aluminium razors such as the super-efficient Standard, for some reason I couldn't get a decent shave out of it without spending time doing so. However, I do have a chunky, stainless 95mm "bamboo" handle, and after using the Henson with this for the first time, the other day, it all fell into place, and the head performed exceptionally well.

Back
Top Bottom