Heavy razors are not necessarily the best.

JohnnyO said:
Having just perused the thread on self identification with the Forums we select I'm not sure whether to feel concerned that I'm part of Nick the Greeks "Peer Group" or highly flattered. My big consolation on this one is that Steve's possibly just as concerned to discover that I'm his peer !

& I knew that I'd love your original take on shaving implements U/Hermit. What's the betting that someone comes up with techy specs to implement the idea.

JohnnyO. :roll:

Specs?

• ... techy specs?
        • Does that mean using a nail file on the 14 individual edges of the teeth (per side of the comb) during the slower moments of the day, might not be good enough to perfect the ultimate-shaving-experience-inducing 30-Edge Razor prototype?[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

... why do I even bother being a creative genius?[/list:u]

sunburyboy93 said:
My personal preference is for a Heavier Razor, i use the Futur and Fatboy mostly as a preference, then a slim, i also have a Feather Portable and a Gillette Tech Head with a SS Handle to up the weight slightly.

i also have a regular Tech and a Knack as Travel razors, both alot lighter than the above but both give good shaves, so my technique must be reasonable.

Steve

My preference is for a heavier sellotape dispensor. They make getting a piece of 'tape so much easier. Especially if I'm aiming for one-handed tape removal. Maybe I don't have the skill to use a light one? I need to hold it down with the other hand while 'dispensing'. Nope, it's a heavier and more aggressive dispenser for me.

PS - ever get sellotape stuck on your lips? It's feckin' sore removing it. But that's another story.

I've never thought of your particular genius as being a bother U/Hermit....... now I'm getting seriously intrigued @ the very idea of individually honed combs.

JohnnyO. :(

Whilst I am understandably shocked at some of Sunburyboy's posts on here :eek: ; and I think you know what I mean SB.....overall I am honoured to be a proxy older sister to the good lad. And let's face it, a gentleman at only 12 3/4; well, he must be a very well brought up boy indeed. :lol:

Yes I am ashamed that I let myself get drawn into a big poofy handbags and hairpulling episode with old Brucie me lad !!

I will be jumping on a green line in the morning and popping up to see Rev Ollie to repent for my wicked ways !!

I shall be far more restrained tomorrow and far more receptive of Brucies magnificence.

and as it's now 01:15 I'm off to bed ! If this mornings posts are true to form, Brucie will be up in 5 hours to Start all over again………(sighs with dread )

Real , real quiet here at TSR ... you guys must be in bed; I did read somewhere you Brits never sleep. On topic: I go with a heavy 34. The 38c slant barberpole, (120gms), Muhle R41 open comb, Edwin Jagger Ivory nickel are a few I'm considering and honestly guys I haven't went back to read ALL your forums, but I'm researching. Oh, a Gillette blue tip is nice in the rotation or a Parker. I rotate the DE razors I have except the Valet Auto Stop razor I bought in Rockland, Maine for $24.00; have to ask questions or please lead me to a subject matter opinion-ator. I also have a few others in the mix I rotate each week and brushes sometimes daily; I shave everyday unless I am trying a new brush then I could shave 7-8 days in a row. I'm really giving Nanny's soaps a workout with the 620 and 404. Sharon ... should I order citris zinger or the Juniper one? My son took home the lavender.

Get a great lather worked up (still don't know what you mean by "knocked up" but I will use the word "mate" for the first time later on). You did your shower, you did your prep "knock something up" and then ..... pull out the 34 HD everyday or a slant for a week and test those Treet Black Beautys or a Feather. I have a Chinese Weishi (spelling?) I use for travel but that will change because I got my first English Gillette on the bay from a gentleman in Turkey; silver case and blade holder, I'll explain later.

While you are asleep I will admit I shaved with a mates Fusion on Monday morning with the vibrator thingy ON. I guess I'm up an unsanitary tributary without the proper means of propulsion if you don't forgive me. The "Fusion Thing" worked well with 3 passes, felt flat, rushed through the shave because I knew I couldn't get a cut, no cuts. He said the blades cost 5 bucks and last 3-4 months ... months. It was very lite feeling even with the battery installed. There, you'll skip over this post and I can honestly tell you that I did confess over the Fusion and you won't remember. Best to get these things off your chest early in the conversation and I am a new guy here. While I'm at it, thank you all for the warm welcome. Now, I'm off to talk with the Chaplain or "Chaps".

I'm not trying to run my meter up, I enjoy your talk and was warned of the banter by Sharon. I'll wait to read Bruce's response tomorrow. Back to the past forums....

Bruceonshaving said:
However it is a British traditional shaving community and I am a British traditional shaver. Eventually the mods will see what is going on and act against the totally unacceptable behaviour displayed by the clique on here, otherwise this place will remain a playpen for the clique and, as such, a quiet backwater.

I don't think you get it. No one here apart from you is desperate for this community to grow a great deal. No one else has expressed this opinion. One of the many reasons we split off from B&B (first as CONUK then as TSR) was to get away from the massive USA traffic of endlessly repetitive posts. Sadly cliques seem inevitable to some extent in any community whether schools, offices or forums. Any new members here are warmly welcomed and are able to contribute as much as they wish. If anyone reading this feels that they have been marginalised due to any cliquey behaviour please speak up, but I would like to think that if anything it's the banter that can be cliquey, not the opinions on shaving matters.

Bruceonshaving said:
The bots don't see the signature because it is not part of the post. Use Links: in google to see for yourself.
The problem here, like many forums, is that it is a playpen for a clique who resent intrusion. It is their playpen. Ultimately this harms the community because newcomers are not welcome unless they are subservient to the ruling clique. This is why this place is so quiet, stick your head over the parapet and you get hit with ad hominem from the clique.
However it is a British traditional shaving community and I am a British traditional shaver. Eventually the mods will see what is going on and act against the totally unacceptable behaviour displayed by the clique on here, otherwise this place will remain a playpen for the clique and, as such, a quiet backwater.

I resent that somewhat Bruce. A quick glance at the Welcome forum would clearly show that new members are welcomed and advice is freely given to any questions they may have. The vast majority also enjoy and become involved in the banter inherent in this forum. As other members have said if you don't like it and indeed us.................

Robert Otten said:
I guess I'm up an unsanitary tributary without the proper means of propulsion.
Absolutely, dear boy - how very well said!
The reason I enjoy your posts so much is that they come over more as a report that airy banter and uninformed opinion -what we need here is more exactitude and less hot air!
Not that there is anything wrong with banter but it can sometimes get out of hand. ( :? If you know what I mean!)
Do I understand you to say that you have Treet Blue Specials ? - I thought that they had become extinct - unless it's confidential please divulge source :hungrig

Robert Otten said:
Real , real quiet here at TSR ... you guys must be in bed; I did read somewhere you Brits never sleep. On topic: I go with a heavy 34. The 38c slant barberpole, (120gms), Muhle R41 open comb, Edwin Jagger Ivory nickel are a few I'm considering and honestly guys I haven't went back to read ALL your forums, but I'm researching. Oh, a Gillette blue tip is nice in the rotation or a Parker. I rotate the DE razors I have except the Valet Auto Stop razor I bought in Rockland, Maine for $24.00; have to ask questions or please lead me to a subject matter opinion-ator. I also have a few others in the mix I rotate each week and brushes sometimes daily; I shave everyday unless I am trying a new brush then I could shave 7-8 days in a row. I'm really giving Nanny's soaps a workout with the 620 and 404. Sharon ... should I order citris zinger or the Juniper one? My son took home the lavender.

Get a great lather worked up (still don't know what you mean by "knocked up" but I will use the word "mate" for the first time later on). You did your shower, you did your prep "knock something up" and then ..... pull out the 34 HD everyday or a slant for a week and test those Treet Black Beautys or a Feather. I have a Chinese Weishi (spelling?) I use for travel but that will change because I got my first English Gillette on the bay from a gentleman in Turkey; silver case and blade holder, I'll explain later.

While you are asleep I will admit I shaved with a mates Fusion on Monday morning with the vibrator thingy ON. I guess I'm up an unsanitary tributary without the proper means of propulsion if you don't forgive me. The "Fusion Thing" worked well with 3 passes, felt flat, rushed through the shave because I knew I couldn't get a cut, no cuts. He said the blades cost 5 bucks and last 3-4 months ... months. It was very lite feeling even with the battery installed. There, you'll skip over this post and I can honestly tell you that I did confess over the Fusion and you won't remember. Best to get these things off your chest early in the conversation and I am a new guy here. While I'm at it, thank you all for the warm welcome. Now, I'm off to talk with the Chaplain or "Chaps".

I'm not trying to run my meter up, I enjoy your talk and was warned of the banter by Sharon. I'll wait to read Bruce's response tomorrow. Back to the past forums....

I’ve done this a few times in the past, no other reason than to compare how I used to shave with how I shave now.
The first blast from the past was exactly how I used to do it. Warm water over face, goo from can smeared on, followed by attacking myself with a three blade cartridge.

This resulted in the uncomfortable end result that had previously put me off of shaving regularly and to my resemblance in my late teens and early twenties to a walking ingrown hair.

The next couple of shaves with a cartridge faired a little better, in these attempts the only change to my usual routine was the use of a cartridge razor. Pre shave hot shower, face lathered with Speick soap, cartridge razor, AS. End result was very comfortable.

The modern marketing from the shaving industry (Gillette, etc) seems to be geared at the speed of the shave is the most important factor. Splash face with warm water, apply goo, use the Mach3 at Mach3, rinse and get out the door.

So for the sake of a few minutes more, you can get a good shave, even with fairly bad prep and not end up with ugly end results... :?

AJP said:
Bruceonshaving said:
The bots don't see the signature because it is not part of the post. Use Links: in google to see for yourself.
The problem here, like many forums, is that it is a playpen for a clique who resent intrusion. It is their playpen. Ultimately this harms the community because newcomers are not welcome unless they are subservient to the ruling clique. This is why this place is so quiet, stick your head over the parapet and you get hit with ad hominem from the clique.

I resent that somewhat Bruce. A quick glance at the Welcome forum would clearly show that new members are welcomed and advice is freely given to any questions they may have. The vast majority also enjoy and become involved in the banter inherent in this forum. As other members have said if you don't like it and indeed us.................

I have to say that having been here only a week, ans even less time in traditional wet shaving i have found this forum to be, very informative, extreemly friendly (already been offered loan of equipement and given some free samples), and funny as feck. As far as banter goes, thats what make the world rub along. Be a boring place without.
Oh and in the 5 days and 3 shaves i have been into this art i like my 38R so heavy it is. :D

Power Fusion gives a close shave - there, I said it. The only problem is that it can't cope with more than 1 days stubble. It just tugs and gets clogged up otherwise. While it is close it also leaves my face a touch on the tender side.

I tend to use cartridges (that I still have lying around) for the gym (when I drag my lazy arse there) or when travelling.

Back
Top Bottom