English American Translations.

It seems that our new chum, Hawkeye, is going to have to familiarise himself with English / American words and meanings...

"I'm going to have to learn Brit spelling? Tyre rather than tire, colour rather than color, and terms such as boot and bonnet in place of trunk and hood?"

This may, perhaps, cause a few issues when referring to different things in daily use?

Can we offer any friendly translation advice? Keeping it clean (if possible) please ladies and gentlemen.

Viz.

Cell phone = mobile phone.

Sidewalk = path.

Candy = sweets.

Movies = pictures.

You know the score and I'm sure that there are dozens out there.

:geek:

I know you said keep it clean and although some may not see this as clean I think it is very important.

Fag = Cigarette

I was on the Basenotes website a while back and a fellow brit described a scent as having a "burnt fag smell". As you may guess, all hell broke loose with the PC brigade.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/britishamerica/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.b3ta.com/challenge/britishamerica/</a><!-- m -->

Enjoy!

Queen = Female Sovereign.
Faggot = Bundle of sticks or culinary delicacy served with peas.
Clone = Precise copy.
Bum = Vagrant.
Ass = Donkey.
Wellard Geezah = Truculent male person.
Porter = One who leans on a trolley or barrow.
Receptionist = Functionary who's duty it is to deny knowledge of any person or department within their fief.
Customer Service - Person who transfers calls from one department to another.
General Manager = Purely fictitious title referring to a person who exists only in myth. (or so it would seem)

Further definitions may be added as they occur to me.

Nice gesture, Blyth, and fun.

Is there an English translation for "All Y'all"?

Here in the South all carbonated soft drinks are called "Coke". Where I grew up it was "pop". Other places call it "soda". How about in England?

Hawkeye5 said:
Nice gesture, Blyth, and fun.

Is there an English translation for "All Y'all"?

Here in the South all carbonated soft drinks are called "Coke". Where I grew up it was "pop". Other places call it "soda". How about in England?

Don't know about England, But in Scotland (west of) it was 'ginger'.

Back
Top Bottom