English American Translations.

Gordon Brown - $ 450 Billion since he came to power

Since he came to power Gordon Brown has spent £300 Billion (c.$450 billion) with soaring public spending mainly wasted on inflation busting wage rises and non existent jobs, together with propping up the banks in the ailing economy which, let's not forget, he also presided over as Chancellor. He also managed to sell the bulk of the UK 's gold reserves right at the bottom of the market. What an arrogant tosser.

He’s the most expensive freeloader in British political history

I copied this from an email titled the most expensive disasters in history... a bit off topic.

Slight twist to things. Anyone think the whole recession thing has been a fix? Contrived?

I think Gordon is one of the better people/well-intentioned among most of his peers. Though, by no means is that a compliment! My 2 cents

To get back on thread for a moment and away from the highly dangerous world of politics....I'm amazed that no one has mentioned that British staple food

Chip butty = sandwich with fries as the filling

and HWMOM would never forgive me if I failed to mention

Real ale = a drink that can't be found in New York

Too true, BS. My own favourite is Rooibosh chai teabag and a PG tips tea bag in a giant mug.....when I'm not drinking coffee, that is......which was at least plentiful in the big A.

Rissole - A ball of mashed potato, corned beef, onion and thyme cooked in breadcrumbs. Only seems to be found between Aberystwyth and Llanelli (South West Wales). The only thing worth having with chips apart from curry sauce. I always get funny looks when I ask for rissole and chips when on holiday. Does it exist elsewhere?

Flatfish said:
Rissole - A ball of mashed potato, corned beef, onion and thyme cooked in breadcrumbs. Only seems to be found between Aberystwyth and Llanelli (South West Wales). The only thing worth having with chips apart from curry sauce. I always get funny looks when I ask for rissole and chips when on holiday. Does it exist elsewhere?

Similar things up here (fried in batter sans thyme) are called "meat cakes."
:hungrig

"Rissoles" featured frequently on the menu when I was a kid. I think the ingredients varied according to what leftovers were available, but included minced cooked meat, onions and breadcrumbs, all of which went through the mincer in that order.

<crazy rant>

Weird isn't it. You get these TV chefs going on about how some cheap take away food is just lips and noses ground up and put in a pie, then you'll get HFW telling you that lips and noses are the best part.

Canard à la presse - French dish which involves duck squashed in a poncy device to squeeze the blood out of the bones to add to a sauce. Go to an abattoir, that's called mechanically reclaimed meat.

</crazy rant>

Back
Top Bottom