English American Translations.

Flatfish said:
Rissole - A ball of mashed potato, corned beef, onion and thyme cooked in breadcrumbs. Only seems to be found between Aberystwyth and Llanelli (South West Wales). The only thing worth having with chips apart from curry sauce. I always get funny looks when I ask for rissole and chips when on holiday. Does it exist elsewhere?
If that is a Rissole then what is a Faggot?
(There is/was an excellent Faggots and Peas stall in Neath market)

cheese_dave said:
Canard à la presse - French dish which involves duck squashed in a poncy device to squeeze the blood out of the bones to add to a sauce. Go to an abattoir, that's called mechanically reclaimed meat.

Not entirely comparable. But separator meat is an interesting product, to say the least...

[/quote]
If that is a Rissole then what is a Faggot?
[/quote]

Which brings us full circle and back to the topic as per the thread title: "English American Translations"

Faggots indeed. Ask Joan of Arc.

RISSOLES!! is what "my friend" used to shout when he only had one cigarette paper left... ;) usually because he was incapable of uttering more than one word.

henkverhaar said:
cheese_dave said:
Canard à la presse - French dish which involves duck squashed in a poncy device to squeeze the blood out of the bones to add to a sauce. Go to an abattoir, that's called mechanically reclaimed meat.

Not entirely comparable. But separator meat is an interesting product, to say the least...
Haha, I was playing devil's advocate. I'm sure Canard à la presse doesn't contain connective tissue...

Heart, liver, and fatty meat according to Wiki.

I always thought haggis had the most bodacious ingredients - a sheep's pluck, i.e. heart, lungs and liver. That's the ersatz haggis of course. The original and best ones are hunted and shot in the Scottish highlands.

Back
Top Bottom