Droyt Shaving Soap - Made in England

Norky said:
I got the following response from Droyt today:

Dear David
... We don't have any outlets nearby unfortunately, but you are welcome to call in to the factory next time you are passing Chorley. We don't have a shop as such but if you would like to let us know you are coming we can make sure there is a bar reception for you. The shaving soaps are priced at £2.50 each.

Best regards

Alistair McCracken
Sales Director

Good work Norky. I'll try and pop in next week as it's not far from me. Great to support some local industry. Our water is slightly hard so I'll see how it performs here.

but neither of em sounded like Sir Richard Burton.

Ah yes, that well kent Englishman, Richard Burton; he & Sean Connery surely did put ole England on t'map.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

JohnnyO said:
but neither of em sounded like Sir Richard Burton.

Ah yes, that well kent Englishman, Richard Burton; he & Sean Connery surely did put ole England on t'map.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

Hee hee!

Well I used t'soap this morning and had a lovely shave in the end. I started off with my brush much too wet which was obvious from the thin, bubbly lather being thrown up off the soap. Those Simpson's Best knots don't half hold a lot a water compared to a boar or a less dense badger. The lather was ok in the end, nothing startling and perhaps a little thin but certainly sufficiently slippy and gave good results with a really nice woody, manly scent. One of the best soap smells yet, certainly at the cheaper end of the market. I suspect once I've gotten a bit more used to the Colonel X2L (having come from a big Omega boar) and have a few more shaves under my belt with this soap, things will slip into place.

However, that said, I'm not sure transparent, glycerine based soaps are ultimately for me. Having used one before and a top quality, highly regarded variety at that, I experienced some drying, heating and irritation of the skin whilst shaving. Now I can honestly say at this stage, it's not down to my technique as I've really been enjoying my shaving of late and getting close yet comfortable, excellent results. Where this irritation seems to affect me is around the cheeks, top lip and nose. Invariably some lather gets fired around the old beak and whilst lathering for the second of three passes, I felt the same hot, pinching feeling as before and this predictably increased on next go round. I realise glycerine is there for its moisturising and glide properties but I think I may have a bit of a reaction to it. Despite the Mr Taylor's aftershave not stinging at all badly, I've got one or two little blotches here and there on my rather podgy cheeks which again echo my previous experience.

Not to give up easily, I will have another go tomorrow or the following day depending on how I feel. For now, I sit here refreshed, relaxed and restful with the warm glow of Mr Taylor's intoxicating and uplifting my olfactory senses and the gentle, soothing sounds of Delius in the background.

Nice one for me to keep an eye on thanks. Since glycerine soaps suit my own skin so well (I use little else) I'm always keeping an eye open just in case supplies dry up. Strange how individual reactions to soaps and creams vary so muchly.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

The Droyt factory is not far from me so I gave them a call and popped in to pick up a couple of bars to try them out.
I got a bar of shaving soap and one of Original Glycerine regular soaps. The guy there said the Original Glycerine is actually sold in Boots.

Will try them both tomorrow and see what they're like. They smell great, very old-school and make my bathroom smell a lot better.

DroytShaveSoap_zps6957fde3.jpg

I was really looking forward to giving this shaving soap a rave review and supporting local industry but it has left me wanting.

The water here is a little hard but we don't suffer from water scale in the kettle, for instance. I did my usual prep so that I could compare using known parameters. Before showering I soaked my brush and the soap bar in warm water. Then shower, Proraso pre-post, Progress Razor @2.5 with a new Astra SP loaded, NF brush 2213.

Shook water off the brush and found it difficult to load it from the soap, kept kind of slipping off without picking up much. I battled on for a minute or so to get enough soap. I hardly added any extra water as the lather was looking a bit bubbly. The scent was mild and quite pleasant, old fashioned clean smell.

Initially applying to my face it seemed to congeal a little. This might be because I had applied Proraso pre-shave, maybe that's not compatible which would be a shame as I enjoy using it.
First pass was ok but not great. I didn't feel any protection from the lather; although it was a little lubricating it didn't feel to have much body.
The second pass was worse and I started thinking that my trusty Progress might be doing me some damage as the lather was thinning and shaving didn't feel as smooth any more. I had to load some more soap from the bar onto my brush.
By the third pass the lather had evaporated from my scuttle and reloading from the bar was getting boring by now. I thought "what's missing in this equation? I know; shaving cream", so I added some RSC cream to the scuttle and the lather built up immediately. After that the shave went better but is that because the RSC was doing the work now?

Afterwards my face felt like it'd been scraped and a bit raw which is what I was worried about whilst shaving. The glycerine seems to have moisturised my face ok but not any better than other creams, and nowhere near to the extent that MWF does.

So in summary, sorry Droyt, but it didn't do it for me. I think you need more than glycerine for a shave soap and it seems to me that the missing ingredient is shave cream. Would I buy it again? Sadly, no. Will I try it again? Maybe give it a second chance but it's more likely going to used as shower soap.

Oh well you live and learn, I suppose.

Your experience is similar to my last two shaves with this except that I still get a bit of an itchy, pinching feeling. I want to like it but it takes a lot of loading on a relatively dry brush to get the lather right and it does feel light and insubstantial on the face. I'll keep going with it but it could go the way of shower soap. I certainly get better, more protective and slicker lather with both the Mitchell's and Trumper's coconut soaps I have. On the other hand, Droyt's Glycerose bar soap is lovely stuff with a clean, fresh and uplifting smell of roses. Come into the garden, Maud! RSC shaving cream is a winner by itself so I expect it was doing the bulk of the work, Mike.

I've been following the thread as I thought it would be nice to stock a soap on our site made fairly close to home and natural, however as the minimum order trade is £100 + £10 that's a lot of soap to shift especially if it doesn't work too well. I think I'll keep looking. MWF was another choice but they never reply to messages.

Walkers said:
I've been following the thread as I thought it would be nice to stock a soap on our site made fairly close to home and natural, however as the minimum order trade is £100 + £10 that's a lot of soap to shift especially if it doesn't work too well. I think I'll keep looking. MWF was another choice but they never reply to messages.

You'd do better with the MWF if you can get them to reply a quality soap used by scores of shaving enthusiasts.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom