Clip razors/ clippers really worse than shaving with straight or double ?

I'm probably the person the OP has been waiting to hear from, and he's going to be disappointed to hear that I don't agree with him!

I have, for my sins, been using an electric shaver much of the time this past year or so (my excuses are given in the Lounge thread where I attempt to re-integrate myself here), and I can honestly say that my experience is that it:

1. Produces a shave which gets rid of most coarse hairs.
2. Manages to push some of the finer hairs for which it is maifestly unsuitable into the skin, resulting in razor bumps.
3. Every once in a while, it contrives to shove one of the coarse hairs under, resulting in a more extreme variant of that decribed in (2).
4. Produces a result which is just about acceptable for casual social contact, unless used after no more than 24 hours after the last shave, in which case it proides a half-reasonable result after 5 minutes' work.
5. Does the above with nothing which could approximate interest, let alone pleasure.

By contrast, proper wet shaving does take longer, but results in a vastly better, more even shave, much-reduced rate of razor bumps, and, of course, becomes a hobby, an interest and a pleasurable experience.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your opinion.

The problem is you have not opened a discussion, you have merely stated that you are happier with an electric razor and cannot fathom why we at TSR continue with this expensive time wasting ritual.

Quote from one of your earlier posts.

electric clip razor:
- safes money
-safes time
- ok shave result
- USUALLY better for your skin
- easy to transport
- pretty easy to clean, if clean is even necessary ( I know people who haven't cleaned their electric razor for like 12 years, and still working fine)
- easy to use, every child can use an electric razor
- doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams )

Double-edge safety razor:

- shaves clean

This is just a personal view from you.

electric clip razor:
1. saves money, incorrect. £3 ebay razor, £2.65 chinese badger brush, £6.50 for 100 Voskhod blades, .50p Palmolive shaving stick = £12.65
add a couple of extra shaving sticks and you are still close to £15.00 for 2 years shaving, (these are all things that work perfectly for me and if I had to sell everything else I would still wet shave).
2. saves time, well depends on whether getting out of bed 10 mins early is that much of a chore, I personally only sleep till 6am 7 nights a week and don't start work till 8am, so 10 mins added to what I know would take me 10 mins with an electric is not a lot.
3. ok shave result, I have tried at least 6 electric razors in my 40 years of shaving (I'm 58), not one has ever shaved me to a point where I have been close to feeling "clean shaven", so ok is not good enough.
4. USUALLY better for your skin, nope trying hard to achieve a decent result has always given me sore patches.
5. easy to transport, incorrect,Panasonic ES-SL41 (last electric I bought, just taken from drawer) charger and adapter, 420g, exact equipment from 1. but only 10 blades, 150g + takes up less space in showerbag.
6. easy to clean, well when you say people don't clean them for 12 years that needs no reply, just Yuck !!!!!!
7. easy to use, every child can use an electric razor. WHY !!! is a child involved.?
8. doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams ). this is pretty much covered in my reply to 1 and 5. and why no Aftershave ? I I always used AS even after a poor electric shave.

1. shaves clean. "Nailed it"

So there you have it in answer to your original post of what we think on the subject of Electric vs Wet, If you are happy with your shaving experience, then good on ya, I on the other hand find electric razors, especially those costing in excess of £200 inferior in every way to a little extra time spent with a DE.

No Hostility no hatred no trolling, I'm smiling as I write this.

With all due respect

Stacy555

I accept your experience, but it still is no prove. You will end up paying more over 2-5 years than using a clipper.

I agree with your " clean result " though, of course a wet shave is more clean.

I see. An incompatible German sense of humour. :D
Username and calling stubble 'stoppels' were a bit of a give away, btw. I can spot a German from miles. :D

Grüße aus London

Haha, yeah. Well the " stopples " uncovered me.

True story. I am in the UK for only 3 years, I was quite sure you are from the Netherlands for some reason.

I'm going to address your points directly:

electric clip razor:
- safes money
Arguably true assuming that you never need to replace the head / batteries. I'm not going to argue the cost of the electricity because I'm betting it's not a lot, but it is there. How much do you need to spend to get a good electric though? The initial outlay could well take a while to recoup.
Gillette New - £12 (BST), Omega boar brush - £9, Personna blades - £9 (box of 100), Palmolive stick - 49p = £30.49. That will see me set for two years for everything except soap, which is 49p a stick. Blades will be £4.50 per year once I've used up the box. I'm not compromising on quality here either.
-safes time
I honestly don't know how long it would take me to shave with an electric because it's so long since I tried, however I one pass WTG with a DE will result in a better shave and I can do that in 2-3 minutes. I'm not going to save much off that.
- ok shave result
Fair enough.
- USUALLY better for your skin
For you, maybe. For me, using a DE has not had any detrimental effect on my skin.
- easy to transport
So is my DE. I bet my DE in an Altoids tin, brush and stick weigh less than your clippers, and they don't need a power supply. You'd be stuck going camping. If your clippers are battery-operated, you're eating into the cost saving versus my soap and blades.
- pretty easy to clean, if clean is even necessary ( I know people who haven't cleaned their electric razor for like 12 years, and still working fine)
Rinse, shake, put away. Done in a couple of seconds.
- easy to use, every child can use an electric razor
True. Children don't need to shave though, and a razor's not rocket science.
- doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams )
True. Does require a power source though.

- shaves clean

I've already addressed the other points above. This is assuming of course that we're considering shaving as a semi-essential stubble taming exercise and not getting into the hobby side of things.
What kind of head does your clipper have? If it's like a hair clipper it'll work fine on a few days' growth, but most electric razors don't. My DE will mow right through it.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, bashing you, or trolling, but for me wet shaving is the best option.

I accept your experience, but it still is no prove. You will end up paying more over 2-5 years than using a clipper.

I agree with your " clean result " though, of course a wet shave is more clean.
Dude your asking for proof, but your dictating to us. If you want an answer to be definitive it's probably down to personal experience, that being your face and skin. If you want the discussion to be 'apparent', you have to further detail, the exact benefits of electric shaving. Saying it's quicker is like opening up a toddlers book to read 'spot went outside'. I don't believe it's cheaper or better for the skin.

I've tried electrics 3 times over the last 20 years and they've gave me more irritation than any other method I've tried. Couple that with the fact I've come to enjoy using soaps, a brush and picking out a razor for the week then it's an easy choice for me. I'm not really into the designer stubble look, it's all a bit George Michael for my tastes. I'm either clean shaven, unshaven or bearded - never sculpted.

If I'm in a rush then a cartridge and Arko can get a very good result in less than 5 minutes.

No - not 'directed' at you Chris. I'm just curious and intrigued at the length of this thread.
I must confess that I'm still trying to figure out if the OP is talking about electric clippers (i.e. beard trimmers) or electric razors (i.e. the mechanical equivalent of holding a rabid squirrel to one's face).

Back
Top Bottom