Clip razors/ clippers really worse than shaving with straight or double ?

I used to use clippers (end on and set to zero) to "shave" with before I learned to shave properly and yeah they're certainly quick and quite efficient but it is a soul-less miserable experience not too far removed from shearing sheep.

I may be mistaken but I suspect the OP hasn't thoroughly mastered the wet shave because he's "tried everything", feels it's better for the skin and reduced the whole process to a time and money experience and if that works for him fine. However the principle reason we persevere is that the skills have been practiced and learned but ultimately we do it because of how it makes us feel and for that there really is no substitute.

I have shaved with a straight razor and with a double edge razor for a couple of years, I mostly did the full process. Using foam with a brush, having 3 goes ( with the grain, side to the grain against the grain ) I used after shave and several cremes. I always had a PERFECT result, and I can clearly say a perfect result ! So, I definitely have " thoroughly " mastered wet shaves.

What I was doing is a simple comparison, I see the whole thing from a view of a guy who was in to wet shaving a lot and still likes it, but now I am just trying to thing logical and economical, and if I do this, I come to the result that using electric type of shavers ( and yes I mostly refer to clippers ) you just get more out of it over long term.

I am not saying that a clipper can shave/trim/cut ( call it how you want to ) you hair down better than a DE razor, but I am saying that a for example clipper saves much more money, time and effort, and that the result is not as bad as people claim it is. If someone shaves to have absolutely no hair left, well ..then clippers aren't for you, if you shave to just get rid of the hair and don't care about a few stopples left, go for a clipper, since you get much more out of it in terms of time,money & effort.

I really don't understand the hostile replies. We are talking about shaving, not about politics & religion.

I was trying to create a comparsion PRO-CONTRA between electric razors ( clippers ) & wet razors ( double edge, straight razors ). I am not here to find trouble or people trolling me.

I like wet shaving, but I discovered clippers and feel like it makes much more sense when it comes to saving time, economical reasons & use.
All I am saying is that you get more out of a clipper than of any wet razor....

As 'Chris.hale' already mentioned, he shaves to remove the stubbles, of course wet shaver are good for that purpose, even if there are trimmers that could to the same job. However, everyone has different reasons. At the end of the day, we are just talking about shaving and a beard, that's all. I think I am not marked to burn in hell just for using a clipper to shorten my beard, this is not a crime, and I don't like it if people totally overreact just because some men can easily deal with having some beard. Don't make a bigger issue out of it than it actually is...
My comment was hardly "Hostile".

Trolling was not my intention either, that's technically impossible anyway as this is an open forum not a social media site, to escape the "Troll" you just don't visit the site.

I just meant, to open a discussion on Theshavingroom forum is probably not the best idea, if you are looking for like minded individuals.

Sorry if my comment upset you in any way, as this was not my intention, just a feeble attempt at humour.

You should always keep in mind that we are just writing. I can't see your face, I can't smell you, I can't hear you, and I don't know you. So what you might call " messing around " or " having a joke " other people might analyse as hostile.

Well, I am not looking for " like minded individuals " I am looking for people with a huge wet shaving experience but also electric shaving experience, who can backup what I wrote in my topic. It's fine if people can't back up everything I say, but at least the price and time saving part is a thing I would like to have backed up, from someone who shaved electrical and also wet for many years.

I want to discuss my comparison. I don't want to discuss terms I used or want to talk too much about what ends more in clean results and what not, since I already said that electric vs blades is not as 100% clean but in my eyes still an acceptable result. But when people continue bashing me or trying to involve me in exactly this type of topics, I would call it trolling and analyse it as hostile behaviour, since these people don't seem to be interested in a proper discussion about " Wet shaving vs electrical shaving " - results,money & effort.

The problem is you have not opened a discussion, you have merely stated that you are happier with an electric razor and cannot fathom why we at TSR continue with this expensive time wasting ritual.

Quote from one of your earlier posts.

electric clip razor:
- safes money
-safes time
- ok shave result
- USUALLY better for your skin
- easy to transport
- pretty easy to clean, if clean is even necessary ( I know people who haven't cleaned their electric razor for like 12 years, and still working fine)
- easy to use, every child can use an electric razor
- doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams )

Double-edge safety razor:

- shaves clean

This is just a personal view from you.

electric clip razor:
1. saves money, incorrect. £3 ebay razor, £2.65 chinese badger brush, £6.50 for 100 Voskhod blades, .50p Palmolive shaving stick = £12.65
add a couple of extra shaving sticks and you are still close to £15.00 for 2 years shaving, (these are all things that work perfectly for me and if I had to sell everything else I would still wet shave).
2. saves time, well depends on whether getting out of bed 10 mins early is that much of a chore, I personally only sleep till 6am 7 nights a week and don't start work till 8am, so 10 mins added to what I know would take me 10 mins with an electric is not a lot.
3. ok shave result, I have tried at least 6 electric razors in my 40 years of shaving (I'm 58), not one has ever shaved me to a point where I have been close to feeling "clean shaven", so ok is not good enough.
4. USUALLY better for your skin, nope trying hard to achieve a decent result has always given me sore patches.
5. easy to transport, incorrect,Panasonic ES-SL41 (last electric I bought, just taken from drawer) charger and adapter, 420g, exact equipment from 1. but only 10 blades, 150g + takes up less space in showerbag.
6. easy to clean, well when you say people don't clean them for 12 years that needs no reply, just Yuck !!!!!!
7. easy to use, every child can use an electric razor. WHY !!! is a child involved.?
8. doesn't require extra equipment ( brush,aftershave,creams ). this is pretty much covered in my reply to 1 and 5. and why no Aftershave ? I I always used AS even after a poor electric shave.

Double-edge safety razor:
1. shaves clean. "Nailed it"

So there you have it in answer to your original post of what we think on the subject of Electric vs Wet, If you are happy with your shaving experience, then good on ya, I on the other hand find electric razors, especially those costing in excess of £200 inferior in every way to a little extra time spent with a DE.

No Hostility no hatred no trolling, I'm smiling as I write this.

With all due respect

Stacy555

... go for a clipper, since you get much more out of it in terms of time,money & effort.
You're posting on a forum where the vast majority of contributors discuss wet shaving and their experiences with DE/SE and straight razors alongside different types of brush and an endless discussion on the merits of different soaps and creams. If the end objective was saving time, money and effort, I doubt there would be much to discuss.

I want to discuss my comparison. I don't want to discuss terms I used or want to talk too much about what ends more in clean results and what not, since I already said that electric vs blades is not as 100% clean but in my eyes still an acceptable result. But when people continue bashing me or trying to involve me in exactly this type of topics, I would call it trolling and analyse it as hostile behaviour, since these people don't seem to be interested in a proper discussion about " Wet shaving vs electrical shaving " - results,money & effort.

"Electical shaving vs wetshaving" - poor results, poor skin and the activity is without skill & therefore less satisfying.

Your results are acceptable to you only, half the members here are (bloody) car detailers so that should give you a clue that your "discussion" about what is acceptable is going to fall on deaf ears and I've given you a reason why it isn't just about "money & effort" because it's far more emotive than that. To many it's also a pastime to be savored not the chore your methods reduce it to, there is no pleasure in that.

I'm probably the person the OP has been waiting to hear from, and he's going to be disappointed to hear that I don't agree with him!

I have, for my sins, been using an electric shaver much of the time this past year or so (my excuses are given in the Lounge thread where I attempt to re-integrate myself here), and I can honestly say that my experience is that it:

1. Produces a shave which gets rid of most coarse hairs.
2. Manages to push some of the finer hairs for which it is maifestly unsuitable into the skin, resulting in razor bumps.
3. Every once in a while, it contrives to shove one of the coarse hairs under, resulting in a more extreme variant of that decribed in (2).
4. Produces a result which is just about acceptable for casual social contact, unless used after no more than 24 hours after the last shave, in which case it proides a half-reasonable result after 5 minutes' work.
5. Does the above with nothing which could approximate interest, let alone pleasure.

By contrast, proper wet shaving does take longer, but results in a vastly better, more even shave, much-reduced rate of razor bumps, and, of course, becomes a hobby, an interest and a pleasurable experience.

Do you detail your motorbike though?

Wot Johnny said ........ additionally:

Mate ...... we can make a gallon of hybrid wax and a kilo of Autosol disappear into about 4 square foot of alloy and 10 square foot of lacquered plastic in the space of one lazy Sunday afternoon......... is that detailed enough for yer? ;)

I guarantee bikers are torn between saving their old toothbrushes for scrubbing razors, or saving them for getting 'right in there' on the engine block :D

Back
Top Bottom