Chinese eBay shaving brushes

Wonder what other brands they were using to test against (alopecic badger?)... I have 19 modest badger brushes here - one of them sheds a single hair occasionally... the others haven't shed a single hair between them (beyond the loose hairs that are always present in the knot before first use that you comb out)...

Also looking at that logo, it's extremely similar to Executive Shaving's - down to the font used... obviously "FS" rather than "ES" - but it looks dangerously close to passing off to me.

Can't one of you techie chaps do a homage to our IoM friends by doing some sort of montage shot of their brushes to the opening credits and music of the The Simpsons?

Maggie is the Wee Scot for sure.

And Marge looks a lot like a big ol' Duke . . .

And they're all butterscotch (well, sort of. Like I'm "white"!)

I've given mine a couple of swirls. Bearing in mind that previously I have only shaved with boar and synthetic brushes, I can't compare like with like.

I find the tips very soft in a pleasant way on my face, however the bristles are a little too soft and splaying for my liking just now. My uncultured face and I would prefer a little more backbone to the brush.

Biggest surprise was the lather explosion which took place. I wasn't sure whether to shave with it or stick a flake in it and call it a 99. I assume that this is the main difference between badger and boar (water retention and lather hydration). Now I have one of each I'm thinking the boar for soap and the badger for cream.

I'm kicking myself a little for not trying badger years ago. However if this brush hadn't come along at a tenner, I would still be using boar wondering what all the fuss is about. So it's a good entry level badger brush for me. I would like to try a more expensive brush for comparison. PIF anyone? :roll:

I got the "Finest Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush Faux Ivory Handle".

11082010077.jpg

Might be worth tying something around the base of the knot to shorten the loft.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3833</a><!-- l -->

It says they have a loft of 58 mm which is huge, even my much larger brushes don't have that sort of loft.

Knock knock Bruce, 50 mm loft or less might make this brush what you keep claiming it is.

Bruceonshaving said:
fozz77 said:
That baby has a loooooong loft for such a small knot. As you say ,will whip up creams no worries & no probs painting your fizzer with lather.

Is 23mm such a small knot?

Not really. It is on the cusp of small/medium ( not including action man or giganticus brushes ). It just looks tiny against that looong loft.

23mm is not small as such, I would consider it on the lower side of the medium scale. It is more the relationship between knot/loft that matters, unfortunately the ideal ratio varies depending on hair type and density so unless you know that beforehand it can be a crap shoot.

Proinsias said:
Might be worth tying something around the base of the knot to shorten the loft.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3833" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3833</a><!-- l -->

I think that you might be right. Even allowing for the facts that I am not yet used to the softness of the Badger, and that I tend to grip the bristles at the base whilst face lathering, I am still finding it floppy.

Time will tell, we'll see how it goes.

Hi GUys,

I have been looking into getting a new brush as mine is shedding like mad although it is only a cheap mixed C & E brush. I had been in contact with Frank of Franks shaving brushed and have received from him a copy of their latest brush catalogue and price list which is below, does anyone fancy jumping in and getting an order together , he tells me he has no minimum order and the brushes he makes go out to, amongst others,Ronney brush, Truefitt&Hill, QED,Jack Black.

If anyone would like a copy to look at put your mail add. here and i can ping it over. Its a pdf and i don't know how to add it here.

Cheers

Justin.

Gents:

I had my 2nd wonderful shave using my new Chinese Frank Shaving butterscotch (BS) using TOBS Lavender; first time use of both items. I also have the white handled "finest pure" badger --- it lathers smartly. This silvertip though, just rolls the creamy lather across your face; I used Coates SC. Lots of brush and very smooth, especially when using a Moss Scuttle; boiling water, not hot tap this time. Very warm lather and this silvertip just lays it on. It can cover acerage quickly. If you ask my experience on what particular brush I can compare it with can't say. Experience with high caliber badger brushes, little. I have a New Forest 2201 superior that is a wonderful and prized possession. Please understand, this Chinese butterscotch is not being compared to the 2201. I'm only stating that these are my first badgers, I was a cheap bore brush man prior to these latest purchases within a months time. Besides, I'm a new guy to the discussion. The superior badger 2201 is my favorite with soaps, especially Nanny's, but this BS is doing wonders with creams and I've only used it twice. After returning from vacation, my 404 half breed arrived in the mail from Sharon and I took a shine to it after 5 shaves. I've been trying many new brushes --- so many so soon --- I've got the virus. I plan to start a discussion in the brush forum because I'd like to ask members a few questions on various brushes. I need to read over all the forums and then jump into a conversation. Fido your shaving blog with brush reports is one of the best out there and it has helped me to get back into shaving, purchase new gear, decide on brushes and led me to TSR. I understand a new member named Peter just joined TSR to give you competition in some sort of collection? Bruceonshaving is spot on as well. Bruce thanks for your efforts. You know, I still want a Plisson High Mountain White. Not needed, but wanted. I digress ...

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): I'm getting a world class lather --- Now --- Not later on down the road when I can afford bling. Frank Shaving Chinese brushes make "cents" when I can't afford a Plisson but can experience an exceptional quality badger silvertip hair today for less than $30.00. I've got another silvertip with rosewood handle, from Ian, in the mail for my son. Count me in for another silver tip gentlemen and my vote is with Bruce on a group buy with a beehive handle. Sounds like Bruce has communicated with Ian, perhaps he could arrange something with The Shaving Room logo or whatever the group decides.

These Frank Shaving Brushes are SIERRA HOTEL or "S**t Hot"; and you can't get any better than that for the price. The brushes are sent out of Hong Kong, a couple days time to CONUS. I believe Frank Shaving has offered us an opportunity to own a first rate silvertip badger at bargin prices. Get them now and give em a try. Glad someone started this topic. I plan to be back after a couple weeks of shaving to comment on them. I believe Bruce said he's been using the BS for a few weeks now. He's had one the longest. For this price you can afford to use a quality silvertip daily. Thoughts?

R/Robert

Back
Top Bottom