Chinese eBay shaving brushes

ffs Tony buy one and let us know what YOU think!

I respect your opinion (just bought a Fido NF on the basis of your - and others' - recommendation). If you like the Frank Shave then I'd treat it as a real contender.

Come on man, they're practically giving them away.

I think you'll enjoy the brush Rev, the Frank "might" be good but I'm not going to buy one on Bruce's recommendation.

Actually I had a careful look at all of brushes on the fella's ebay site just to be sure my instinct's weren't failing me.

I still think I'm right, if you really have to avoid all but the finest model but even then I'd say save your penny's for the next Fido Superior badger edition. Spending £10 - £15 a pop on numerous cheap badgers is a false economy, by a boar instead especially if you are a soap user.

Did I just say buy a boar brush? :shock:

i ordered a Frankie butterscotch special, as it was cheap, will report on arrival, i think if you look at it for what it is and it performs ok, then happy days, obviously if you want better quality then you buy a better brush....

I may have missed the memo regarding "butterscotch" - but isn't the point that the early resins they used to make fake ivory has discoloured over time to make it turn the butterscotch effect, buying something as "new" that's "butterscotch" is a bit like buying a reproduction "antique" (ie. looks the part but is ultimately, it has no provenance - it's a fake).

Perfectly true HM, it's repro all right but at least it is obvious. I'm not too sniffy about repro butterscotch tbh, just another coloured handle for me and you can usually identify the genuine article easily. It's difficult to reproduce decades of wear n tear.

I think the original 'butterscotch' colouring was down to the handles being made of Catalin, an early form of plastic like Bakelite.
"Due to oxidation, it darkened in color as it aged with white fading to yellow." (from wikipedia)

hunnymonster said:
I may have missed the memo regarding "butterscotch" - but isn't the point that the early resins they used to make fake ivory has discoloured over time to make it turn the butterscotch effect, buying something as "new" that's "butterscotch" is a bit like buying a reproduction "antique" (ie. looks the part but is ultimately, it has no provenance - it's a fake).

yep that's true, i don't want to pass it off as something it isn't, anyone with sense will know what it is, i just like the colour and it's a cheap brush, if i was wanting a real aged butterscotch i would look for one.... the big Frank Shaving logo is also a bit of a giveaway anyway...... :D :D

Yes: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3856&start=20#p51265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3856&start=20#p51265</a><!-- l -->

I don't know very much about brushes, but I'm very pleased with it and it seems something of a bargain.

Scorpio said:
I saw a couple of you have ordered one earlier in the thread,have you got them yet and given them a test drive?

I ordered mine on the 25th July. The order status is 已发货.

I have only a basic working knowledge in Chinese :roll: . It means "has shipped".
By my reckoning, the ship should be somewhere in the Bay of Biscay making best speed.

I hope that the next message isn't 同义词.

That would be terrible!

OnionNon said:
Yes: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3856&start=20#p51265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3856&start=20#p51265</a><!-- l -->

I don't know very much about brushes, but I'm very pleased with it and it seems something of a bargain.

Cheers for that ;) my want to buy one is going up abit more,will wait to see what the rest of those who bought one think of them before i take the plunge

I ordered mine on the 25th July. The order status is 已发货.

I have only a basic working knowledge in Chinese . It means "has shipped".
By my reckoning, the ship should be somewhere in the Bay of Biscay making best speed.

I hope that the next message isn't 同义词.

That would be terrible!

They've probably just parked up for a rest on the Barrier Reef............... :evil:

An incredibly soft brush when dry will no doubt be incredibly useless when wet.

If you want your claims to be credible you should contact Frank and tell him to reduce the loft to 50mm and put more hair in the knot.

Back
Top Bottom