Adjustable or static razor for a newbie

Fab. An EJ it is. What are the thoughts on the murker travel razor (just thinking for the future) and also the next step up from my £10 badger brush (men-u one from boots, think its real badger, but not sure!)

What are the thoughts on the murker travel razor

Specifically for travelling? Not worth it really, or that's my view. I'm a bit of a globe trotter and the 34C HD is plenty small enough to slip into a wash bag. Your Edwin Jagger will also travel very well, so I'm in the camp that believes that the space saved is minimal to useless. Not big things, razors.

A brush upgrade? Probably worth a new thread on its own I think, but a good entry level brush might be an Edwin Jagger black badger, they're doing a very pretty tortoiseshell finished one for £18 at the mo, I think it's excellent value. They're a bit of a lather hog but if you give them a little loving squeeze after the second pass they'll hand over all of their super soapy goodness for that third pass. Hard to beat at that price.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_EDW-BRU-P23/268139/Black-Badger-Shaving-Brush-Tortoise">http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mal ... h-Tortoise</a><!-- m -->

monkeytennis said:
also the next step up from my £10 badger brush (men-u one from boots, think its real badger, but not sure!)

The Men-U brush is boar painted to look badger if it's the one I'm thinking of....

Gentle step up - Vulfix 404 badger/boar mix from Diamond Edge (about a tenner plus post)

Bigger step up - Try one of Fido's New Forest

How much of your money are you looking for us to spend? :lol:

the the ej stuff is all pretty good then?

In my view yes. The brushes aren't world beaters but for the price they're good. I've got one EJ razor and it's the best finished razor I've ever seen. I've had a soap and a balm from them and I also own one of those natty little lathering bowls which is too pretty for words (and too pretty for shaving, after a few close calls with soapy hands it's now a shelf ornament!) They don't make rubbish. Or more accurately they won't put their name to rubbish.

Just noticed your question about the cups. They're like the bowls, very pretty, very classy, and maybe a tiny bit small for shaving, the lather will overflow if you get a good amount going. And you won't want to use it for everyday because you'll love it and will want to hand it down. Buy one if you want a handsome ornament for your shave shelf by all means!

hunnymonster said:
The Men-U brush is boar painted to look badger if it's the one I'm thinking of....

Gentle step up - Vulfix 404 badger/boar mix from Diamond Edge (about a tenner plus post)

Bigger step up - Try one of Fido's New Forest

Funnily enough these are exactly the three brushes I've tried :D. Clearly I'm doing something sensibly!

The Vulfix was a huge step up from the Men-U, and I'm sure the New Forest will be awesome when broken in.

Back
Top Bottom