Adjustable or static razor for a newbie

So after trying a badger brush for the first time (thank you boots for having one) and loving how good my skin feels, I am thinking of getting a proper razor (I currently have a king of shaves as the fusion power made me depressed at how crap a shave it gave!). Now, does it make more sense to get an adjustable razor and set it to the mildest and slowly increase it as I get better or get a good fixed one? Any recommendations on a first double edge (decided I like the look and usablity of double edge to single edge. Chhers, Ed

Good advice there.

Adjustables don't necessarily (in my view) give you a better/closer shave the more they're tuned up - it's more a question of how the feel of the shave works with your skin/beard growth. However, it is true that if your technique is a little shaky, you're more likely to cut yourself with an adjustable turned up high, than one on a low setting.

My jury is still undecided on the value of adjustables (despite owning 3 vintage Slim Adjustables :oops: ). You'll get a great shave from a non adjustable and be able to learn your beard growth without the distraction of another variable.

joe mcclaine said:
monkeytennis said:
So after trying a badger brush for the first time (thank you boots for having one) and loving how good my skin feels, I am thinking of getting a proper razor (I currently have a king of shaves as the fusion power made me depressed at how crap a shave it gave!). Now, does it make more sense to get an adjustable razor and set it to the mildest and slowly increase it as I get better or get a good fixed one? Any recommendations on a first double edge (decided I like the look and usablity of double edge to single edge. Chhers, Ed

The Merkur HD 34c or Edwin Jagger DE87 / DE86 would be very good first razors . . . and whichever you choose it could very easily be the only razor you'll ever need.

This is good advice. My HD is out on loan so I can't help you but keep your eyes open for PIFs in the B/S/T forum. Good way to experiment and get a few freebies. Enjoy.

The gr8 temptation with an adjustable (for most of us) is, well, to adjust it. If you're getting to terms with what shaving cream / soap & blade to use adding the further variable of a razor which may be having the settings altered as you go along can further confuddle the issue. For most of us it's more practical to work on technique, soap selection and favourite blades before moving on to an adjustable. Having said which I know that some of the guys on here started off with adjustables & have got on fine.

In the end it's really just your own choice, so make sure you enjoy the learning curve.

JohnnyO. \ :shave

monkeytennis said:
Can I ask what pif. Is?

Pay It Forward - means giving something to another person for free, in the hope/expectation they will pay the favour forward to another person later on. Works very well on this particular forum.
example: someone pifs me some blades, cos I fancy trying a new brand. I pif some shaving cream to another member for them to try. They have a razor they have not used for a while, so they pif it to another member to try out without having to buy one. Etc Etc.

PIF sounds a fantastic idea!! This sounds like a great forum to have found and have to say advice so far is great! Thinking that if I learn lather with a cartridge shave, then just have to deal with the shaving bit if that makes sense. Is it recommended to start with a mild shaver, believe that means more forgiving angle ect?

Non-adjustable until you get the hang of things, and then you could try one.

The only adjustable that I have owned was a Merkur Futur, which is a good razor, but I nearly always used to leave it on one setting, and have now sold it.

Ian

monkeytennis said:
Now, does it make more sense to get an adjustable razor and set it to the mildest and slowly increase it as I get better or get a good fixed one? Any recommendations on a first double edge (decided I like the look and usablity of double edge to single edge. Chhers, Ed

Hi there Ed,

Well, if I was just starting out, I'd want to begin with a razor that wasn't too aggressive. No sense in making things more difficult than need be, and using a milder razor is a good way to help minimize any mistakes along the way.

No reason not to start off with an adjustable type, set to somewhere around #3 or so. That's gonna have less bite than most other fixed head types like superspeeds and Techs, but is still pretty effective for whacking them whiskers.

Most people who use adjustables find one setting and leave it there. The thought is to be able to exactly dial in the amount of bite, which can be pretty handy. Yeah, some members will change the settings during a shave, but most people just set em and forget em. If you decide on an ajustable, You need to know that screwing with the settings early on will make the technique take that much longer to perfect. You don't wanna add too many variables to the mix at first.

I can recommend a Gillette adjustable that works best for me, but it won't do you any good. You'll have to pick one and take it from there. It's trial and error with any new razor. Actually, maybe I can recommend a good adjustable for you. Take a look at the long handle super adjustables as a possibility. Handle length is no problem getting used to, and it shaves somewhat similar to a slim. That's what I started with and it worked well for me.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Oh...........I just saw what Johnny wrote previously about adjusting razors.......what a smart guy!

Starting out with an adjustable sounds a bad idea for me (I like to tinker with things, my wife is fed up with me changing the firmware on my phone) so a fixed mild razor seems a very good idea! Now to the choosing of one!!!or maybe finding a cream that works with my skin first makes the most sense!

I'm nothing if not consistent: a non adjustable Gillette of the Superspeed or Rocket variety is my pick for an ideal starter razor. It's quite a large family of razors with something to suit everyone - there are heavy aggressive types (which happen to suit me) and mild versions, but an ordinary SS would fit the bill admirably. They have no vices, are easy to use, blade changing is a doddle, and since the early ones are still going strong after 60-odd years you can take it as read that the quality is up to scratch.

If you do go for an adjustable razor though, don't fiddle with it too much to start with.

No easy answer for what should be an easy recommendation. So many variables are going to lead to the one conclusion in all of our purchasing OCD’s {soaps – creams – blades etc - etc}, until you have actually tried them yourself.

My first razor was the EJ Chatsworth which a great three piece razor followed by the Futur, this being acquired to stop the adjustable razor itch i had picked up. This razor being very efficient at doing its job at all settings, in a very clinical way.
What followed was the result of my new found magpie eyed fascination of vintage TTO and adjustable razors and a very unhealthy love affair with the bay of E.

Two Jnr Aristocrats, so so, kind of mild, nothing to write home about. (Ebay)

A Fatboy, well built but loses something in translation the higher up the settings you go.(BST)

Three Slim Adjustables, again well built and i find they shave better than the Fatboy.(1 on Ebay 2 from the BST) the two from the BST being the better condition of the three.

A Merkur 34HD, another solid performing three piece, on equal footing with the Chatsworth. (BST)

An English Super Speed, used twice and then left on the shelf. (Ebay)

A HD Rocket, very mild, the only razor i can even attempt to go against the grain with. (Ebay)

Two Red Tips, the best non adjustable vintage shavers I’ve used to date. (BST)

The pattern I’m trying to show in my RAD, is that none of the razors purchased after my first two (Three piece and Adjustable) have been any better and in a lot of cases been significantly worse than these two. The best deals ive had apart from one have been purchased through the BST and I’ve had to suffer extremely inflated prices through Ebay to acquire the others.

Would i recommend an Adjustable as a first razor? YES. Would i then, like others have mentioned, point out that once you have found the setting that works well for you will leave you with what for all intentional purposes is a users self restricted non – adjustable fixed head razor. (kind of defeats the purpose). Not that this is going to stop you, so go with the Futur and if you want vintage get the Slim.

Vintage wise, if you like a razor leaning closer to the aggressive side, id say go for a Red Tip. If not, any of the others (HD Rocket-Super Speed-Blue Tip-Black tip Blah Blah Blah).

The use of the PIF service offered by Antdad with his Red Ring saved me not only a vast amount of money but what would have been a disastrous purchase if i had done. So use this free trial of hard and software when you can, it saves a lot of money down the line.

If i could go back to the beginning of this expensive distraction with what i know now id be sat here with my first two acquisitions and be happy in the knowledge that both are top performers for the roles they play and if i needed to scratch the vintage itch id have the Red Tip and Slim Adjustable as well. But where’s the fun in that. :roll:

What are the difference's between a 3, 2 and 1 piece razor? Sorry for my ignorance! Sort of decided to get used to lathering first (using a man-u brush with there cream) and maybe once I have used my now rubbish feeling nivia stuff to try a few different creams out and then start thinking razor ect. Or do different creams work best with different razors ect?

monkeytennis said:
What are the difference's between a 3, 2 and 1 piece razor? Sorry for my ignorance! Sort of decided to get used to lathering first (using a man-u brush with there cream) and maybe once I have used my now rubbish feeling nivia stuff to try a few different creams out and then start thinking razor ect. Or do different creams work best with different razors ect?

How many pieces the razor breaks down into to change the blade.

Back
Top Bottom