Adjustable or static razor for a newbie

Edwin Jagger De89bl Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor - £14.50 delivered from Amazon UK.

Wheres the contribution link?

I don't think the DE89/87 models are particularly heavy Martin, not compared to something with a brass handle like say the Merkur HD models. Most of the handle of the DE87 is "Faux ivory / ebony" anyway i.e. just a nice grade of plastic.

is there any advantage to the lined one grip wise or is.it just looks?

Just looks. The lines run along the handle so they're not designed to help with grip. If grip is a worry then the Merkur HD has a really grippy knurled handle, but to be honest you shouldn't struggle with grip with a Jagger, I don't. Quick wipe on the towel if need be, but I hear some shavers even use them in the shower.
Maybe consider the new barley handled ones too, same head, snazzier handle.

If you get water and lather all over the handle that'll certainly compromise your grip initially but once things come together it'll become less of an issue.

As a newbie (been DE shaving a couple of months now) I too started with a Boots razor just to see if I got on with DE shaving. Once I realised I wouldn't be going back to cartridge shaving I purchased an EJ DE89 (chrome, unlined). My primary reasons were 'cos it was relatively cheap and had good reviews. I don't think I'll ever need another razor (that's not saying I won't be tempted to get another one!), it gives a close, smooth, normally nick free (unless I do something stupid) shave and I have had no problem with the handle being slippery - even when wet.

antdad said:
NO ADJUSTABLE especially as a starter razor.

Blokes simply can't help fiddling with their knobs, I ignored that advice when I started and it simply delayed some may stunted my development. :oops:

No adjustable is also my advice. I did not practice what I preach though, I bought a Merkur Futur for my first play........... :shock:

My favourite razor(s) are non-adjustable........... Makes you think dunnit! :D

mattlad said:
No adjustable is also my advice. I did not practice what I preach though, I bought a Merkur Futur for my first play........... :shock:

Me too! Not an ideal start, but then again it didn't put me off. Personally I can't see the point in adjustables now. There are enough variables to worry about as it is.

Pig Cat said:
mattlad said:

Me too! Not an ideal start, but then again it didn't put me off. Personally I can't see the point in adjustables now. There are enough variables to worry about as it is.

Mine was a bad start too, the Futur launched a most ferocious attack on my ear, I did the whole shave with a wash basin full of claret and red shaving foam! :eek: :shock: Amazingly the leakage stopped straight away with the application of a styptic match.........

dilbertz said:
As a newbie (been DE shaving a couple of months now) I too started with a Boots razor just to see if I got on with DE shaving. Once I realised I wouldn't be going back to cartridge shaving I purchased an EJ DE89 (chrome, unlined).

Did you, like me, find it a lot more forgiving than the Boots one? I may just be a clutz ;).

Pig Cat said:
[
Personally I can't see the point in adjustables now. There are enough variables to worry about as it is.

What's doin PC,

Well, maybe I can give you a different slant on things regarding adjustables. You probably have different 'favorite razors than me, but maybe not........doesn't matter anyway.

My go to razor's a Fatboy type. I like a lot of things about it, but how it feels on my face is the main hook. The head design presents the blade to my face in a very pleasing manner, and being able to dial in the exact amount of bite is great.

Now let's say the Fatboy was a fixed head razor....preset at about the #6-7 Gillette adjustable setting. Know what? I'd rarely ever use that thing and it would be at best a change of pace razor. I've tried the Fatboy on various settings over the years and settled on the magic number for me...which is #4. When I dial it up to 6-7, the comfort level diminishes a good bit.

I have a few fixed head razors that are are quite nice looking and quite awful to shave with. An adjuster would turn using those into a much more pleasant experience.

How's that sound?

Martin

Dr Rick said:
dilbertz said:
As a newbie (been DE shaving a couple of months now) I too started with a Boots razor just to see if I got on with DE shaving. Once I realised I wouldn't be going back to cartridge shaving I purchased an EJ DE89 (chrome, unlined).

Did you, like me, find it a lot more forgiving than the Boots one? I may just be a clutz ;).

I definitely found the EJ DE89 to be more forgiving. I had a few nicks with the Boots razor but none with the EJ razor. And I'm pretty sure my technique had not improved that much in a space of a day :D

dilbertz said:
Dr Rick said:
dilbertz said:

I definitely found the EJ DE89 to be more forgiving. I had a few nicks with the Boots razor but none with the EJ razor. And I'm pretty sure my technique had not improved that much in a space of a day :D

The EJ is a very forgiving but superior razor, the extra weight and better balance really allow you to let it do the work, not to mention it's class leading superior finish and cost.
To the OP it's a no brainer.

Could not agree more, the EJ range is superb and the fit, finish and cost edges it in front of Merkur these day. The head itself is probably better balanced for what people need every day so I would not hesitate to re commend them to the OP.

Back
Top Bottom