Adjustable or static razor for a newbie

Hiya,

Ok, let's make finding this first razor real easy. Pick either an adjustable, superspeed, Tech, EJ, or Merkur razor and go from there. Doesn't matter very much what you start out with, since all you're looking to do is practice and refine technique. The idea is to learn how to shave with whatever razor you start with, so that the next razor you try will be able to be compared to how the first one performed. That reference point will take 3-4 weeks to accomplish, and when you're done you'll be able to better notice any differences between that razor and the next one tried.

The truth is, whatever razor you decide on for your first is most likely not gonna be the one that's the perfect fit for you. You gotta start somewhere though, so just pick one and use it for a month or so. By then maybe you'll have a better idea of what to try next.

Martin

I would imagine all this advice is getting a little confusing?

OK, if you haven't yet bought anything, here is two simple alternatives:

1) buy a cheap new wilkinson sword razor, some tesco blades and a Palmolive shaving stick. Assume you have a brush otherwise buy a cheap one. Or

2) pm me your address. I will loan you (repeat, loan) a good razor, let you have some blades and maybe some Palmolive if I have any left. Brush is up to you.

Then you check out the Mantic59 videos on YouTube and the masses of advice available here, and go for it.

Up to you.

NO ADJUSTABLE especially as a starter razor.

Blokes simply can't help fiddling with their knobs, I ignored that advice when I started and it simply delayed some may stunted my development. :oops:

antdad said:
NO ADJUSTABLE especially as a starter razor.

Blokes simply can't help fiddling with their knobs...
+1

In the same way when one starts photography he/she is preferably to have a basic, with manual selection of aperture and speed ability, not state-of-the-art/full-of-buttons camera. :!:

Cool, I have been looking at the boots DE razor, its only £3 odd. But is it better to get a better razor to start with or does it not make that much difference at first? I have this brush <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001">http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001</a><!-- m --> ... d_i=468294, other than a razer what else do you advise me to get? Have watched the mantic videos, thats what got me interested in the whole thing! Now have my eye on Edwin Jagger De89bl. Would this suit me better than the boots one, ie is it better to just jump. Thanks for the kind offer of a loan, but wouldn't want to put you out if that makes sense!

monkeytennis said:
Cool, I have been looking at the boots DE razor, its only £3 odd. But is it better to get a better razor to start with or does it not make that much difference at first? I have this brush <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001">http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001</a><!-- m --> ... d_i=468294, other than a razer what else do you advise me to get? Have watched the mantic videos, thats what got me interested in the whole thing! Now have my eye on Edwin Jagger De89bl. Would this suit me better than the boots one, ie is it better to just jump. Thanks for the kind offer of a loan, but wouldn't want to put you out if that makes sense!

Up to you. I vaguely recall someone critiquing the Boots one and liking it. May have been Prof Blighty. The EJ was what I was going to lend you as my 34 is out at the moment. Under £20 from Amazon and if you check around you will see that they are generally highly thought of.

Do what you want to do. Buy a Boots, buy a Wilkinson Sword, buy an EJ. I would probably buy an EJ myself actually buy thats why I have ended up with around a dozen razors!

What else you I advise you to get? Blades. You are gonna need them! Dont bulk buy anything until you have given it a try. Connaught will sell you a trial pack or there are people round here who will send you a variety of blades to try. For free. Because we remember that starting up can be difficult and we would be poor at repaying those who helped us, if we didnt help you. So dont be afraid to ask.

For shaving, its like this. If you arent enjoying it, you are doing it wrong.

Definitely get a fixed razor. The Edwin Jagger is excellent, I have a DE87 which is the same head, just with a spanky coloured handle.

I don't see any reason to start with lather and then eventually move on to your DE, may as well do the whole shebang at once, most of us did.

Follow the suggestions above and first start by looking up Mantic's videos on Youtube.... put the kettle on, or crack a can, and settle down for 20 mins or so. Don't watch them all, it'll take weeks, but just watch the basic tutorials on lathering and DE shaving.

When you have a good half an hour spare (a weekend afternoon is ideal) then take your time and have a go. It's not all that hard.

I hesitate to say anything, as somebody almost as new to this as you, but as it happens I've used two razors - the Boots to start with and the DE89 more recently.

With the Boots one I nicked myself or opened a small weeper with almost every shave.

With the EJ I have not had so much as a weeper and am shaving as close in fewer passes.

This may, of course, mark the Boots as a more powerful tool for learning lessons ;).

monkeytennis said:
Looks like its an EJ. They just look lovelly as well. Thinking of getting the lined one. Now to just convince the wife and we are sorted!

Hi there,

Well, that EJ head gets a lot of very good reviews, so there's that going for it. I know there's a bunch of different models and I've tried a few so far. One thing about some of em is the weight.......yeah, some of those handles are on the heavy side. No idea which lined model you mean, but something like the lined Chatsworth would probably not be the best to use at first. Those things are 4 ounces, which can affect the way a razor shaves by giving em a little more bite. I found the extra weight a bit distracting actually.

Heh, I know........so many things to take into consideration. Just trying to save you a little grief starting out by suggesting you go with an average weight razor.

Martin

I agree, fixed is the way to go, then you have 2 choices, new or vintage, there are people on both sides of the fence, I prefer build quality of vintage, but that's just me ;)

So as has been mentioned, you can't go wrong with a superspeed, and you probably have some change left from the price of a new one.

Max

I started with the Wilkinson Classic from boots, and have always recommended that to people who wish to try DE shaving. Reasons being its incredibly cheap comes with some OK blades and is fairly well built, another thing is that the edges of the blade are well covered with the head of the razor itself, as well as the rest of the blade, this makes for a mild shave that is unlikely to rip your face to shreds when you make the learner induced cock ups that you will do. Saying that you will get bitten no matter what razor you start with, its just that the wilkinson razor is like a chiwawa for biting.

Millay said:
I started with the Wilkinson Classic from boots, and have always recommended that to people who wish to try DE shaving. Reasons being its incredibly cheap comes with some OK blades and is fairly well built, another thing is that the edges of the blade are well covered with the head of the razor itself, as well as the rest of the blade, this makes for a mild shave that is unlikely to rip your face to shreds when you make the learner induced cock ups that you will do. Saying that you will get bitten no matter what razor you start with, its just that the wilkinson razor is like a chiwawa for biting.

Chiwawa :D ;) :lol:

And those cock ups are not learner enduced, I fear. Classify them as human error. Why do so many razors allow the sharp edges of the blade to extrude? Kudos to Feathers on this.

Back
Top Bottom