Your favourite aftershaves and why?

Singing Blade said:
I'm intrigued by the Zegna Essenze range. Which have you tried? I'm particularly interested in testing the Oud and the Javanese Patchouli. I find a lot of Oud scents a little cloying, my favourite being Montale's Black Aoud because I just love the rose note in it, although it's really a summer fragrance. Montale's Patchouli Leaves I have a sample of and enjoyed, so I'd be interested to know how the Zegna compares before going all out for a bottle.

I have tried them all more or less. The Oud was my favourite so I bought it. Definitely not cloying, although quite strong for an EdT. You only need a little. It's a very oriental smoky wood/incense/rose mixture that I am definitely enjoying.

I have never got on well with Montales as they are quite hard to sample in the UK (let alone buy!). Someone gave me a large sample of PL which was great, although ultra strong. In my opinion the Zegna Oud is much better than Black Aoud, which I found quite medicinal.

rum said:
Singing Blade said:
I'm intrigued by the Zegna Essenze range. Which have you tried? I'm particularly interested in testing the Oud and the Javanese Patchouli. I find a lot of Oud scents a little cloying, my favourite being Montale's Black Aoud because I just love the rose note in it, although it's really a summer fragrance. Montale's Patchouli Leaves I have a sample of and enjoyed, so I'd be interested to know how the Zegna compares before going all out for a bottle.

I have tried them all more or less. The Oud was my favourite so I bought it. Definitely not cloying, although quite strong for an EdT. You only need a little. It's a very oriental smoky wood/incense/rose mixture that I am definitely enjoying.

I have never got on well with Montales as they are quite hard to sample in the UK (let alone buy!). Someone gave me a large sample of PL which was great, although ultra strong. In my opinion the Zegna Oud is much better than Black Aoud, which I found quite medicinal.

Thanks for that. My interest is definitely piqued! Looks like the Zegna is stocked by House Of Fraser, I'll have to get myself along and try them out.

Singing Blade said:
rum said:
Singing Blade said:

Thanks for that. My interest is definitely piqued! Looks like the Zegna is stocked by House Of Fraser, I'll have to get myself along and try them out.

Yes I totally recommend sampling first and let it settle down on your skin. Never blind buy fragrance!!

dodgy said:
Well hell,

You got me there, That description sounds real interesting so a few days ago I did a little search for the stuff. Turns out it's not all that easy to come by. Sheeeesh.

Martin

Perhaps you're not 'motivated' enough to track some down

That sounds about right for Martininez, always enabling but a bit shy when the shoe is on the other foot :D

Speick, Proraso, Harris Marlborough and Aqua Velva. Good on my skin (during the warmer months) and scents that are fleeting enough not to annoy anybody.

Ian

Of the discoveries I've made since I joined TSR I'm loving my Prof Blighty Scaramouche aftershave and the Stirling Vetiver aftershave splash I got from the group buy. My favourite aftershave from the mainstream fragrance manufacturers has to be the original version of Gucci Envy for Men of which I am zealously hoarding the tiny bit I have left for very special occasions, I 1st came across it a few days after it had been launched in the Duty Free shop at the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong while browsing for presents for relatives in Australia, and saw a display stand with both the male and female Envy ended up buying aftershave and EDT for myself and EDT for my Stepmum who loved it, of course as always happens you grow to love a product and repeat buy it as I always got compliments when wearing it and then all of a sudden they stop making the mens version, so I moved to Gucci Rush for men and the same again grr but am now very glad to discover that Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb is very much like Rush for men. Still can't find a substitute for Envy and am definitely not paying the outrageous sum they try and sell it on ebay for.

Boab said:
That sounds about right for Martininez, always enabling but a bit shy when the shoe is on the other foot :D

Well, I do offer suggestions on rare occasions about various shaving crap stuff, but that's only being helpful. It's never meant to be the least bit enabling, but sometiimes it's taken the wrong way I guess. Yeah, that sounds good.

Damn soaps are my problem now.....I have become a soap/cream whore. Yep, there's a bunch of artisan ones that have captivated me. Did some reading and had to try one by Mystic Waters which will be here maybe this week. The Xpec monkey is telling me to stock up and I just recently bought 6 pucks of Himalaya. The J Peterman is almost gone, which is very sad.

Without boring you further, please believe I have plenty of acquisitions that were just too difficult to resist after a while. Yes, I think of myself as a harmless dupe.......an innocent victim.

It's ok if you feel sad for me and want to give me an extra 100 messages capacity. It would be handy.

Not sure if I've mentioned the Jovoy fragrances on here before. They come in these huge bottles of 50 or 100ml and are really unique in scent. Very Parisien if I may say so. Here's a bottle of La Liturgie des Heures, a very popular incense-infused scent:

[attachment=8922]​

Attachments

• la_liturgie_des_heures_-_artistic_.jpg
    la_liturgie_des_heures_-_artistic_.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 24
bigsimes said:

Yep, that's all it is. You can believe I would be pretty relentless in finding that juice if it was important. Besides checking the Molinard site first, I could also go to a few favorite hard to find frag favorite places and search there. If that didn't work I would check Basenotes in the FS section of The Crystal Flagon I think it is. I could check ebay and see if any's for sale or was recently.. Might even do a deal with my bestest buddy rum....some kinda sample trade maybe. It's the not knowing how it smells that bugs me. Eventually I would probably get my hands on some.

Martin

dodgy said:
bigsimes said:

Yep, that's all it is. You can believe I would be pretty relentless in finding that juice if it was important. Besides checking the Molinard site first, I could also go to a few favorite hard to find frag favorite places and search there. If that didn't work I would check Basenotes in the FS section of The Crystal Flagon I think it is. I could check ebay and see if any's for sale or was recently.. Might even do a deal with my bestest buddy rum....some kinda sample trade maybe. It's the not knowing how it smells that bugs me. Eventually I would probably get my hands on some.

Martin

If you mean about Teck, I don't think you can find it easily in the Uk but maybe worth a quick Google. If not let me know and I'll see what I can do!

BraveBlades said:
Out of interest - Has anyone sampled any of the 007 James Bond aftershaves ?

Yep I did and was unimpressed. Got a very medicinal/powdery type of vibe from them when I sprayed them on me in a shop, so I didn't even bother getting a sample.

just saw this in a shop in philippines reckon it can be used as lke an aftershave splash there is also a aftershave but i dont like the smell as much, its about 12pound i think, dont knwo wether to just order weleda when i treturn but fancy somthing i cant ever find in uk

http://en.koreadepart.com/item/1353379154/the-face-shop-neo-classic-homme-red-enegry-essential-toner

Back
Top Bottom