Your favourite aftershaves and why?

Aftershaves: D.R. Harris Pink, Proraso, Musgo Real, Speick, too many Bay Rums to mention. Also Professor Blighty's Yellow Ginger which I got from a member a while back.
EDT's: Sooooo many but current faves are Montale Black Aoud, Dyptique Tam Dao, vintage Floris Sandalwood, Histoires de Parfums 1740/1969, Knize Ten, Encre Noir and Dior Leather Oud.

Went with a classic today, which I've not personally mentioned before on this site... sweet wooded harmony. Basically this is a patchoulli/sandalwood/vanilla bombshell.

teck-de-molinard-2532385.jpg

TOBS Sandalwood for me. It was my first 'luxury' cream and I liked it so much I ended up buying the (company like Remington) cologne and soap.

Just love the smell and it's one that gets the most 'what you wearing?' questions.

Trumpers Limes for me, fresh and fruity
Alvarez Gomez Aqua de Colonia Concentrada, same but lasts longer with a floral end
Old Spice, reminds me of my dad
Turkish Lemon Kolonya as well, cheap as chips

Interesting question.

After years of using 'designer' fragrances, when I started DE shaving, I picked up a bottle of Old Spice. It took me back to being a teenager and those naive years.
I still use scents like Acqua di gio, D&G Light Blue etc. but a fragrance I used as young man was C&E pour Homme. Something no-one else wore and I was always asked what 'aftershave' are you wearing. Sadly no longer available.

bigsimes said:
Interesting question.

a fragrance I used as young man was C&E pour Homme. Something no-one else wore and I was always asked what 'aftershave' are you wearing. Sadly no longer available.

Hi there,

I may be wrong, but what might be more accurate is to say it's available but no longer made. Not having tried a search for it myself, I would have to believe a 'motivated' person could find some of that old juice somewhere.

Just a thought,

Martin

Taypsie said:
daz said:
jute 'n' jam

wonderful stuff ;-)

Surely not, jute smells worse than a wet dog, wet jute would give anybody the dreh boak.

Hi there,

I don't know what that stuff smells like, but did you see a list of his favorite sandwiches in another thread? Talk about making me gag or maybe dry heave....

That's the definition I got for "dreh boak", which amazingly I had never heard of till now. Found an interesting site with some Scotch facts and stuff. They sound like a very quaint race. Here you go: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160032

Martin

dodgy said:
Taypsie said:
daz said:
jute 'n' jam

wonderful stuff ;-)

Surely not, jute smells worse than a wet dog, wet jute would give anybody the dreh boak.

Hi there,

I don't know what that stuff smells like, but did you see a list of his favorite sandwiches in another thread? Talk about making me gag or maybe dry heave....

That's the definition I got for "dreh boak", which amazingly I had never heard of till now. Found an interesting site with some Scotch facts and stuff. They sound like a very quaint race. Here you go: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160032

Martin
Can relate to most of them Martin, Haven't tried Cullen Skink though, or been to saltcoats, (that's the West coast). I'm smiling to myself thinking of you googling "dreh boak" though and surprised there was a definition for it. I thought it was a local thing. Jute is the material they used to make sacks from, smells pretty grim.

dodgy said:
bigsimes said:
Interesting question.

a fragrance I used as young man was C&E pour Homme. Something no-one else wore and I was always asked what 'aftershave' are you wearing. Sadly no longer available.

Hi there,

I may be wrong, but what might be more accurate is to say it's available but no longer made. Not having tried a search for it myself, I would have to believe a 'motivated' person could find some of that old juice somewhere.

Just a thought,

Martin
Hi Martin,
I did try to locate some, a few years ago. I contacted C&E who told me production had stopped quite a few years before.

And I have searched a few places but never turned any up. Maybe not like trying to find a long lost relative, but every now and then when time and funds permit.
Maybe I'll be lucky...

rum said:
Went with a classic today, which I've not personally mentioned before on this site... sweet wooded harmony. Basically this is a patchoulli/sandalwood/vanilla bombshell.

Well hell,

You got me there, That description sounds real interesting so a few days ago I did a little search for the stuff. Turns out it's not all that easy to come by. Sheeeesh.

Martin

dodgy said:
rum said:

Well hell,

You got me there, That description sounds real interesting so a few days ago I did a little search for the stuff. Turns out it's not all that easy to come by. Sheeeesh.

Martin

Yep, got mine from Molinard in Nice. My honeymoon hotel was based right next door to them. In 11 days we visited the shop maybe 20 times.

Is there a clinic that I should join?

rum said:
dodgy said:
rum said:

Well hell,

Martin

Yep, got mine from Molinard in Nice. My honeymoon hotel was based right next door to them. In 11 days we visited the shop maybe 20 times.

Is there a clinic that I should join?

I think I should join with you.
I ordered some Teck, along with another bottle of Habanita from Molinard just the other day. My shelf is heaving. I desperately need a clearout, unless I really need to smell good in the afterlife.

rum said:
Put some of this on today:

Essenze-by-Zegna-indonesian-oud_high.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Zegna Essenze range. Which have you tried? I'm particularly interested in testing the Oud and the Javanese Patchouli. I find a lot of Oud scents a little cloying, my favourite being Montale's Black Aoud because I just love the rose note in it, although it's really a summer fragrance. Montale's Patchouli Leaves I have a sample of and enjoyed, so I'd be interested to know how the Zegna compares before going all out for a bottle.

Back
Top Bottom