Your Broadband speed?

Was with VM for years ... before, BlueYonder, before, Yorkshire Cable ... no issues in over a decade. Moved a mile as the crow flies and I'm back in the dark ages.
I had exactly the same, with VM for over a decade, not a problem, moved to the other end of town and ended up on sky, had to upgrade to fibre as I was on less than 2 mbps, didn't bother me too much but my son and daughter moaned on a daily basis about wifi and playstations etc.

You're doing well with Sky copper b/band, Jamie. I'm on their fibre service, up to 40 meg. I get high 20s and low 30s mainly but it dips to 16 when all the kids are home, before bedtime. Neighbours kids, not mine. I have to channel hop or hard wire my rig.

4647434081.png

Not bad.
Sky Fibre, be about 3mile from the exchange.

I live on a housing estate built from scratch about 10 years ago and BT had exclusive rights for the phone/internet infrastructure. The nearest exchange is over 3 miles away and they didn't put in a substation which meant broadband speeds could not be guaranteed over 3 Mb/s using copper wire. They also used dodgy subcontractors to lay the actual cables which reduced speed again. As a result no-one on the estate of thousands of houses got a decent broadband signal, typically 2 or 3 Mb/s.
A local broadband provider stepped in and provided wireless (radio) communications for broadband users - basically a little transmitter/receiver attached to the side of your house that connects to antennae in the local area, a bit like mobile phone signals. So we've been having 10 Mb/s download and 5 Mb/s upload for years now with no issues. Higher speeds are available if you want to pay more. We also binned off BT's landline subscription and use a VoIP phone instead.
Only in the last year have BT installed Infinity (fibre to the cabinet) that allows reasonable speeds but we've not signed up, mainly due to BT's incompetence at installing to a brand new site.

4652702776.png

Apart from Virgin, is it not all the same broadband? Then your ISP squeezes it more or less at your router?
Yes & no.

Your line sync speed will be the same, but how your ISP (over)sells their backhaul capacity (between your exchange and your ISP) and their peering arrangements with the rest of the internet has a massive effect on how good it actually is.

Case in point when ADSLMax (8M) first arrived here, I had a visit from the local man-of-the-cloth suffering from poor speeds despite a full speed sync at 8128kbps. He was getting 50-60kbps (dial up was up to 53kbps) of an evening entirely down to his ISP (after some snooping around, it turned out his ISP was basing their entire business model around usage of no more than 100kbps per user). He used some fairly industrial (and unclergylike) language when cancelling to move elsewhere.

Of course there is also the question of competence of the ISP. You wouldn't want one where a couple of 15 year olds could use an off-the-shelf tool to successfully mount a "sophisticated" attack for example...

I like my 9 employee niche ISP. Offers me everything I want and the couple of times it has gone wrong, it has been demonstrably (by both me & them) BTWholesale's fault. They're considerably better at engaging BT (Openreach) & BT (Wholesale) than BT (Retail) ever were.

Back
Top Bottom