Your Broadband speed?

Pretty sure that Steam (like most other programs) reports download speed in megabytes per second and broadband speeds are almost always reported in megabits per second. (Think the difference between "dozen eggs" versus "eggs"). Advertisers like to shout big numbers (except when it's the price) so they go for the megabits number. Couple that with journalists who report in this space in the mainstream media being demonstrably clueless about the basic difference and it's unsurprising that those not au fait with the technology being confused.

10 megabits per second is going to look like 1 megabyte per second. (In round numbers, allowing for transmission overheads but conversely 1 byte is actually 8 bits)

So your reported speed is 40 megabits per second, you are downloading at 4.2 megabytes per second.

Regardless - even if Steam is downloading at 4 megabits per second - it means you still have 36 megabits of capacity to do something else at the same time - in this house that's a good thing - means that everyone on the connection gets a decent experience, where in the past on ADSL there was conflict "are you doing xyz? my youtube's just gone crappy"

Sky assure me I get close to 40mb at the front door but Speedtest.net tell me I get 25 - 6 at my computer - before the kids get home from school. Then we play chase around the wi-fi channels - until I switch on the hard wired ethernet though my ring main. Cleaning my computer also makes things snappier.

Yes - all eighteen of us - neighbours in range and I - are on 2.4 GHz + or - and 802.11n, which is the problem, of course. How on earth do I move to 5GHz? I've looked all the places I know of but, of course, cannot find a setting - else I guess we'd all do it.

I don't have any shiny ones but such baking trays are cheap enough!

Just awaiting my free Virgin upgrade to their Docsis 3 technology and I will be on 3 trillion FlipFlops per nano second.

I might get all my online Christmas shopping done in time this year ;)

4829881219.png

Can I split the incoming broadband signal and pair/tune my computer to the dual band router - use the two routers in 'parallel'? Any clues, please, about what I'd need for my computer - which is a laptop that I don't move?

Back
Top Bottom