World Cup 2014 - fans only!

Fido said:
Took the soft option and recorded the second half to watch this morning. Much relieved I wasn't a supporter of Greece or Ivory Coat. Tension unbearable in the closing minutes.

I have to say I didn't enjoy, but the joy on my face is quite obvious today.

That and the fact that I have a client meeting in a bit and have no voice.

After I saw the goal go in, the room just went silent from all the screaming.

Finally, for a country that has suffered so much in the past 6 years, a bit of joy won't go a miss!

ChopperHarris said:
Just watched the Ivory Coast / Greece match. Thoroughly enjoyable - they were an excellent match for each other's styles. Some real barnstormer shooting from the Greeks and the goal posts took a fair old battering. Felt very sorry for the Ivory Coast, going out to an injury time penalty is harsh, but overall the result seems fair to me.

The shots on the posts would have been excellent goals had they gone in, but I bet it must be hard to get that sort of precision.

Anyone see the England fan at yesterday's game holding a sign that read something along the lines of -

Flight to Brazil - £1500
Accommodation - £1500
Enjoying the ambience - £2000
Arriving after elimination - Priceless

jb74 said:
Anyone see the England fan at yesterday's game holding a sign that read something along the lines of -

Flight to Brazil - £1500
Accommodation - £1500
Enjoying the ambience - £2000
Arriving after elimination - Priceless
Idiot

Fixed that for ya.

image_update_img.jpg

I don't care if Suarez is the most or least talented, this is the third incident and this time on the greatest footballing stage of them all. Three strikes and you are out = total ban. What would have happened to him if he'd done that to someone in the street for a third time? He'd be locked up and rightly so. We simply cannot tolerate that in any sport especially not one which is the most viewed event in the world and seen by millions of impressionable kids worldwide. A total ban from all football is the only way forward and for those that think that is harsh just think about it - a grown man sinking his teeth into another player during a game of football after having been previously heavily punished for it twice? It remains the ONLY sanction that will stop him.

At least he could bite into a new career as the face of Pedigree Dentastix?

You give me an opening to but in, Graeme.

From odd snippets of news and a lot of incredulity, am I correct in thinking that England have been eliminated from the Pool Stage with zero points - and so out of the World Cup?

In rugby, zero points would mean not having scored at all - is that the same in soccer? They didn't win a game nor score a single goal? Can that really be true? I can't get my head around that! I knew they were in serious trouble and statistically stood only the slimmest chance of qualifying - but not a single goal? Sheesh!

rum said:
Fido said:
Took the soft option and recorded the second half to watch this morning. Much relieved I wasn't a supporter of Greece or Ivory Coat. Tension unbearable in the closing minutes.

I have to say I didn't enjoy, but the joy on my face is quite obvious today.

That and the fact that I have a client meeting in a bit and have no voice.

After I saw the goal go in, the room just went silent from all the screaming.

Finally, for a country that has suffered so much in the past 6 years, a bit of joy won't go a miss!

ChopperHarris said:
Just watched the Ivory Coast / Greece match. Thoroughly enjoyable - they were an excellent match for each other's styles. Some real barnstormer shooting from the Greeks and the goal posts took a fair old battering. Felt very sorry for the Ivory Coast, going out to an injury time penalty is harsh, but overall the result seems fair to me.

The shots on the posts would have been excellent goals had they gone in, but I bet it must be hard to get that sort of precision.

That reminds me of our house when the Wilkinson drop goal won England the World Rugby cup. The Fido bells rang out that day.

Enjoy your moment!

Bechet45 said:
You give me an opening to but in, Graeme.

From odd snippets of news and a lot of incredulity, am I correct in thinking that England have been eliminated from the Pool Stage with zero points - and so out of the World Cup?

In rugby, zero points would mean not having scored at all - is that the same in soccer? They didn't win a game nor score a single goal? Can that really be true? I can't get my head around that! I knew they were in serious trouble and statistically stood only the slimmest chance of qualifying - but not a single goal? Sheesh!

England lost 2-1 to both Italy and Uruguay - so scored two goals before the 0-0 draw that earned them a point.

It's good to know of someone who knows or cares little for football. At least one source of stress eliminated from their lives.

Sadly Football's governing body has a less than glorious history when it comes to punishments. Generally there will be some pathetically pointless fine that means nothing to someone earning 200k a week.

The Slaven Bilic / Lauren Blanc incident in 1998 springs to mind, as does the Rivaldo theatrical dive in 2002 vs Turkey. Rivaldo was fined 5k and that was that. Footballers are indulged to the extreme and rarely do sanctions fit the crime. We consistently see acts of "simulation" as it is termed that never receive any sanction. It is cheating, pure and simple and unless the authorities start to do something about it, it will get worse and worse.

My solution would be to start punishing the team (after all it is a team game). I docking points would soon put an end to it all. But that won't happen.

Anyway I should move on before I burst a blood vessel!

Hope Suarez gets banned for the rest of the tournament, if he gets away with something like that at this level anyone can do anything, don't be encouraging Mario!

Me too.

As I'm about to become a father, I honestly think given the attention a person such as Suarez gets from school children and the like, means that the following day there'll be children imitating his foolish actions all over the world.

The above and the fact that this isn't the first time he's done this, I think nothing less than a lifetime ban is right for him.

Back
Top Bottom