World Cup 2014 - fans only!

Well we have to have a thread about the most watched event in the world.

I'm off on holiday on Saturday. Reminds me of the holiday I cancelled 48 hours before the Los Angeles Olympics on discovering that the generator that supplied electricity had to be turned off at 10pm. Found somewhere else at short notice!

Three matches every evening for the group matches is going to be tough but us old timers can cope with it.

Whoever you support - enjoy!

So excited about this. I think because my football team has been hard watching this last 2 years, some quality football feels more special than usual.
Plus all the times are (reasonably) work friendly.

I will be supporting the 3 lions of course, with a friendly interest in Mexico (just got back from a holiday there and they are getting ready to fiesta!) and Belgium who are my sweepstake team.

I suspect Argentina or Brazil to win it, but have an unusual thought that Portugal may do well. Brazil is a home from home for them.

Watched a great show on BBC2 the other evening all about life in Rio. This was episode 3 of 3, didn't see the two previous, great stuff though. Crazy, fascinating city with inhabitants to match.

Don't care who wins it... so long as we have some exciting footie and don't get another shitty final like the one the Dutch contributed to in 2010.

Would love to see a team come out of nowhere and cause a few upsets too... (that doesn't include England winning it btw).

Dunno, upsets rarely happen.

What's more likely...

Spain will grind their way to the final , Brazil will implode under the pressure of a nation or Argentina will go down in a hail of goals?

Remember Greece winning the Euros... I know they weren't exciting to watch in so far as the quality of the football, but they were a fantastic underdog to get behind.

Who were the crowd who had a good run in Euro 96 (I think), remember United bought their winger with the long hair. Czech Republic right.. Porborsky... that was fun.

Cameroon, Roger Miller, Italy 1990... another fun one.

I'm looking forwards to it - just settling down with a beer to watch Brazil v Croatia. Crowd and players continuing the national anthem with no music - fantastic.

Like jb74 I hope for a bit of a fairy tale. It's the story of the competition that I enjoy, rather than the final.

cheesepiece said:
First goal bets on Neymar are all up.
I got him to score first and last of the tournament @50/1 so I'm a happy camper right now.

To score first and last for Brazil or for the tournament in general (does the Marcello O.G. not count)?

I didn't think they were robbed to be honest.

They were fading late in the first half, their keeper was poor enough.

I said at half time.. "Brazil win win 3-1", you could see they were growing into the game.

Keeper was poor for Croatia, Neymar should have seen red, Croatia should have had a penalty and so should Brazil, yes it was 'light' but on a world class platform, defender, I Lovren shouldn't have had his arms all over the striker. Ref showed bias.... Fifa..... Bribery

Nishy said:
Keeper was poor for Croatia, Neymar should have seen red, Croatia should have had a penalty and so should Brazil, yes it was 'light' but on a world class platform, Lovren shouldn't have had his arms all over the striker. Ref showed bias.... Fifa..... Bribery

Back
Top Bottom